Severe Tooth Loss

Old January 10th 05, 10:06 AM

Default Severe Tooth Loss

My dog is losing all her teeth. At this time she has both canines,
although they are seriously splintered, and a smattering of other teeth
left on both her upper and lower gumline. My vet says it's impossible
to tell whether or not this is from her cancer or from the medication
she's on to treat the cancer.

Her next appointment isn't for another few days and I'll discuss it
with my vet but how long/well would my dog be able to eat if/when she
eventually loses all her teeth?

Other than the constant piddling all over the floor for some reason,
she seems relatively okay.

Thanks

Old January 10th 05, 07:40 PM
Rox

My dog had a number of teeth removed right after I got her--they were
terrible. She was fine after 3 days. She can't chew on very hard things
but she loves a little rawhide or a greenie. In fact, she ate better after
the extractions. Those teeth must have been a misery for her. Previous
owner never took care of them and never took her to a vet.

If your dog's cancer is under control and you feed mostly soft items (and a
few crunchy bits, you'd be surprised but they still do like those without
teeth) you shouldn't be that worried. Of course if the cancer isn't under
control and your pup isn't eating well to begin with you may have a problem.

Old January 10th 05, 08:41 PM
Tee

wrote in message
oups.com...
My dog is losing all her teeth. At this time she has both canines,
although they are seriously splintered, and a smattering of other teeth
left on both her upper and lower gumline. My vet says it's impossible
to tell whether or not this is from her cancer or from the medication
she's on to treat the cancer.

Her next appointment isn't for another few days and I'll discuss it
with my vet but how long/well would my dog be able to eat if/when she
eventually loses all her teeth?

Other than the constant piddling all over the floor for some reason,
she seems relatively okay.

You should probably switch her completely to canned food. Trying to eat
crunchy stuff with just your gums is not only difficult but causes
cuts/abrasions in the gums which then get sore/stingy/prone to infection.

There are alternatives to normal treats that you can also give to make up
for the switch to soft. Things like canned pumpkin, peanut butter, yogurt,
ice cream (all in small, treat-size, amounts) are all things most dogs love.

--
Tara

Old January 10th 05, 09:52 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that she's on completely canned food since I
first noticed the problem about 6-8 months ago but I still worry. As
far as treats, we switched to the softer pig ears for a while but they
gave her massive diarrhea so I give her some Peanut Butter in a kong. I
was just wondering if she might have problems in the future with even
canned food once all her teeth are gone.

She seems okay and I don't want to euthanize her just yet (hoping I
won't have to at all) but not if she's not going to be able to eat
that's going to be an issue.

Thanks for the pumpkin/yogurt idea, I haven't tried those. Perhaps she
will enjoy them better than Peanut Butter.

Old January 10th 05, 10:29 PM
ceb

" wrote in
oups.com:

Thanks for the pumpkin/yogurt idea, I haven't tried those. Perhaps she
will enjoy them better than Peanut Butter.

Better than peanut butter?? BETTER THAN PEANUT BUTTER??? Blasphemy!

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow "will work for peanut butter"
Old January 11th 05, 12:57 AM
Spot

Another thing they like when feeling this way is baby food. Barney has
cancer of the mouth and his appetite isn't what it used to be but he will
usually eat a jar of baby food for me when I can get nothing else into him.

Good luck.....

Celeste

oups.com...

Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 4 October 9th 03 12:34 PM
Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 0 October 7th 03 08:13 PM
The word on Solo's tooth Andrea Dog health 11 August 25th 03 04:56 PM
The word on Solo's tooth Andrea Dog behavior 2 August 18th 03 11:05 PM
Solo's broken tooth Bethgsd Dog behavior 19 August 17th 03 10:46 AM