opinion of Frontline

Old January 10th 05, 04:15 PM
Ann in Houston

Default opinion of Frontline

I am not getting good results with it. I tried to research this, but Google
fixed what wasn't broken and I couldn't make any progress there. I have
taken our little 2-3 y/o terrier mix to the vet several times and we are not
getting any lasting results. She has a flea allergy, and was helped by the
steroid prescription, but goes right back to scratching herself raw after
finishing it. Of course, the continued presence of fleas is likely the
culprit. The ones in the house with eyes that can see fleas have told me
that she still has them, and she is scratching herself raw. We keep the
Frontline treatment up to date, even overlapping by the amount of time the
vet said was okay. Is anyone else here unhappy with it, and if so, what do
you use instead? Thanks

Old January 10th 05, 05:53 PM
dogcookielady

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
. ..
I am not getting good results with it. We keep the
Frontline treatment up to date, even overlapping by the amount of time the
vet said was okay. Is anyone else here unhappy with it, and if so, what

do
you use instead? Thanks

Hi, Ann. Am in Louisiana, so flea conditions are similar. Neither
Frontline spray nor spots were working with adoptee CJ, no matter how often,
no matter if I used all tips and recommendations by my vet and her Frontline
sales rep. My vet even applied it once, to make sure I was doing it right.
One application of Advantage did the job quickly. Period. Was able to go
past recommended usage intervals after 2 applications.

Hope this helps,
Annette & little CJ

stop baking before you reply

Old January 10th 05, 07:35 PM
Ann in Houston

Hi, Ann. Am in Louisiana, so flea conditions are similar. Neither
Frontline spray nor spots were working with adoptee CJ, no matter how

often,
no matter if I used all tips and recommendations by my vet and her

Frontline
sales rep. My vet even applied it once, to make sure I was doing it

right.
One application of Advantage did the job quickly. Period. Was able to go
past recommended usage intervals after 2 applications.

Hope this helps,
Annette & little CJ

stop baking before you reply

Thanks. I will try some of that as soon as possible. I won't get paid
until Monday the 18th, so would it be useful, do you think, to bathe her,
and use some "Hartz 2 in 1 Flea and Tick Killer" that I bought to keep them
under control in her bedding? I didn't know she had the allergy at the
time. It gives directions for using it on the dog, but I never did. Can I
just bathe her again when I get the Advantage, and use that even after using
this stuff? I know it may be useless, but I feel like I should try it, just
in case.

Old January 10th 05, 08:01 PM
dogcookielady

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
. ..
so would it be useful, do you think, to bathe her,
and use some "Hartz 2 in 1 Flea and Tick Killer" that I bought to keep

them
under control in her bedding? I didn't know she had the allergy at the
time. It gives directions for using it on the dog, but I never did.

Ann, it's been a long time since I've been on this group but I recall
problems with a product that resulted in pet deaths. Think it was by Hartz.
If I'm mistaken, I'll no doubt hear about it from someone on the group. : )
I would recommend extensive online searches before you use the product you
bought, even on bedding. If you haven't opened it, you should be able to
return it to the store where purchased. Even if opened, if you find info
regarding problems, you should be able to return it.

Perhaps it might be better to give a couple of nice baths (maybe with aloe
vera and/or oatmeal shampoo, rather than citrus based) til you can buy
something else---you have to wait after bathing to apply Advantage anyway.
However, if you use the Hartz product, bathing might not be enough to apply
Advantage in a week. By the way, Frontline comes with a money back
guarantee, so the place(s) where you've bought it should give you refunds.
You just sign a slip which they return to the company for their own
reimbursement.

Best wishes,
Annette & CJ

stop baking before you reply

Old January 10th 05, 08:09 PM
ZPL

Advantage does do a good job. However, many prefer Frontline as it wears a
little better if the dog gets wet.

Also, wait about 48 hours after the bath to apply any of this stuff. It
works through the coat with the oils - if there are no oils, it is wasted.

Also, have you tried adding some omega fatty acids to the dog's diet? Whole
fish oil or Flax oil.

Old January 10th 05, 09:31 PM
buglady

"dogcookielady" wrote in message
nk.net...
My vet even applied it once, to make sure I was doing it right.
One application of Advantage did the job quickly. Period. Was able to go
past recommended usage intervals after 2 applications.

.........I'll second that. Frontline just does not do the job on fleas that
Advantage does.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 10th 05, 09:36 PM
buglady

"Ann in Houston" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks. I will try some of that as soon as possible. I won't get paid
until Monday the 18th, so would it be useful, do you think, to bathe her,
and use some "Hartz 2 in 1 Flea and Tick Killer" that I bought to keep

them
under control in her bedding?

...........I wouldn't use Hartz myself. Just wash the dog's bedding
frequently. If you only have one critter this shouldn't be too bad. If
you're inundated with fleas I'd wash every few days. Try to find a product
with Precor in it to spray on bedding that can't be washed. Zodiac is one.

Can I
just bathe her again when I get the Advantage, and use that even after

using
this stuff? I know it may be useless, but I feel like I should try it,

just
in case.

........worse than useless it can sometimes provoke reactions in dogs. When
was the last time you used Frontline? I'd check with the vet if you can use
Advantage before 1 month. In desperate times I think you can apply
Advantage more than one time per month, but that is not true with
Frontline - use no more often than once a month. So I don't know what that
means when you're switching from one product to another. And as someone
else said, give a bath, wait 2 days for the oils to come up on the coat
again, then apply Advantage.

Old January 10th 05, 10:35 PM
Sharon too

[...]

Most of the time in our practice - probably 90% of the time - clients who
choose either the Advantage products or Frontline products are very
satisfied and have great, long lasting results. However, on occassion we
have a pet that doesn't respond to one or the other for some reason. A
switch to the other always does the trick. Try Advantage or Advantix and see
how that goes. I'd also ask if there are any other allergic conditions the
vet might be suspicious about, such as environmental or food in addition to
fleas. In some parts of the country right now there seems to be a huge
moisture problem and mildew and mold could be causing problems.

-Sharon

Old January 10th 05, 10:39 PM
Sharon too

Ann, it's been a long time since I've been on this group but I recall
problems with a product that resulted in pet deaths. Think it was by
Hartz.

IIRC, I believe one of the problems was the labeling and directions.It had
the owner dot the product down the spine of the pet. Pet would then turn its
head and lick it. Ingesting the product was causing major problems. Every
flea season we also get cat owners who invitably get the dog version and use
it on cats causing disturbing seizures and even death.

We also just don't see long term results in the Hartz products. Also, the
only good place for a flea collar is a vaccuum cleaner bag if anyone has
those!

-Sharon

Old January 10th 05, 11:00 PM
Ann in Houston

I'd also ask if there are any other allergic conditions the
vet might be suspicious about, such as environmental or food in addition

fleas.

That did come up, but since she still has fleas, I feel like I need to truly
eliminate that issue before other irritants are addressed.