Anaemic dog

Old January 11th 05, 10:35 PM
Steve Pickthall

Default Anaemic dog

My dog, terrier mongrel approx 12 years old has repeated bouts of anaemia, I
buy her liver to boost her iron intake but she's not fond of it. Would it be
advisable to give her the occasional iron tablet (intended for humans)?

Thanks in advance
Steve Pickthall

Old January 12th 05, 12:41 AM
buglady

"Steve Pickthall" wrote in
message al.NET...
My dog, terrier mongrel approx 12 years old has repeated bouts of anaemia,

...........do you know why she has anemia?

buy her liver to boost her iron intake but she's not fond of it. Would it

be
advisable to give her the occasional iron tablet (intended for humans)?

.........I wouldn't. Get some Petinic at the vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 15th 05, 09:26 PM
Steve Pickthall

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:41:52 +0000, buglady wrote
(in message . net):

........I wouldn't. Get some Petinic at the vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Thanks for your reply. Does Petinic go by any other name I can't find it in
the UK?

Thanks
Steve Pickthall

Old January 16th 05, 01:53 PM
buglady

"Steve Pickthall" wrote in
message al.NET...
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 23:41:52 +0000, buglady wrote
(in message . net):

........I wouldn't. Get some Petinic at the vet.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Thanks for your reply. Does Petinic go by any other name I can't find it

in
the UK?

...........don't know. Check the web for ingredients and see if you can find
a similar product in the UK.

Old January 18th 05, 01:39 PM
Jo Wolf

Also... If you have been offering your dog beef liver and she's
rejected it, try chicken livers. If she is small, it doesn't take
much!!!! When I had an old dog (about 10 Kilos) with anemia, the vet
suggested about an ounce a day. You can cook it and mash it up, add a
little water and pour over her food like gravy... give it through the
day as many small treats (cut into small pieces)... not just as a chunk
at meal time.

Ask your vet what supplements could be used in place of the liver.
Usually liver is accepted happily by dogs, so a vet may not even think
about other supplements....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 18th 05, 06:21 PM
Steve Pickthall

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 12:39:55 +0000, Jo Wolf wrote
(in message ):

Also... If you have been offering your dog beef liver and she's
rejected it, try chicken livers. If she is small, it doesn't take
much!!!! When I had an old dog (about 10 Kilos) with anemia, the vet
suggested about an ounce a day. You can cook it and mash it up, add a
little water and pour over her food like gravy... give it through the
day as many small treats (cut into small pieces)... not just as a chunk
at meal time.

Ask your vet what supplements could be used in place of the liver.
Usually liver is accepted happily by dogs, so a vet may not even think
about other supplements....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Thanks, I'll try that. She's perked up a bit in the last couple of days and
her gums don't look quite so cadaverous.