Housetraining Issue?

Old January 16th 05, 08:18 PM
Suja

Default Housetraining Issue?

A friend of mine is off skiing this weekend, and her 2 dogs plus the one
she is watching for a friend (long story, the landlord changed his mind
because he was receiving complaints about the dog, and asked that he get
rid of the dog - none of us are realy sure what these complaints are,
and my personal suspicion is that he's trying to pawn the pup off on
someone else because he is more than he bargained for) are distributed
among 3 friends. I had agreed to take Luca (nutso GSD) ahead of time,
although would've preferred Titus (incorrigible little 20 lb. mutt,
probably 10 or 12 months old, and cute as a button).

When Titus first went to stay with my friend, he had a couple of
accidents in the house. Since then, he has been good. I had picked him
up on Friday, and until Isabelle's parents came to get him in the
evening (6-10 pm), he was fine. Then, he peed on Steve's shoe. We
chalked it up to a human screw-up. Titus just doesn't give any signals
that he has to go, and it had been 4 hours. The first thing he did when
he got to their place was to poop on Isabelle's bed. Then, he proceeded
to pee 3 more times in the house in a two hour span. He was crated
overnight, but whined to let them know he had to go around 4 am, and
peed when he was taken out. Between 8 and 12:00 in the morning, he peed
5 more times in the house. During this whole thing, they had been
taking him out at least once every hour, on-leash, and making sure that
he went. 4 of the 8 times, he peed inside the house within 5 minutes of
peeing outside the house, was interrupted and taken outside to finish.
The surfaces where he was having accidents varied from linoleum to tile
to carpet. And he always peed in front of one or both of the humans.

When we spoke yesterday, I said that it sounded to me like a UTI, and
that we swap dogs since he was fine in our house to confirm that theory.
Well, he's been home with me since 6:00 yesterday evening, and no
accidents. The dogs woke up in the middle of the night to bark at
something, and I figured that I'd take Titus out as long as I'm up, but
he curled back up and went to sleep. When I took him out this morning
(7 1/2 hours since he went at midnight), he peed for 3 minutes straight
- one of those times when he started off with the leg up, but ended up
having to put it down. Then he went and pooped.

So, what gives? Why is he housebroken here and not in Isabelle's house?
The differences are that:

1. I have lots of chewies around to occupy him, and the little shark
spent almost 4 straight hours last night gnawing on something. Because
of Isabelle's 'MINE!' issues, they can't have such things lying around.

2. After they told me about the problems they were having, Titus spent
a little bit of time being tethered to my chair while I was working.
Isabelle would have serious issues with something like this, so they
were not able to keep as close an eye on him as I was.

3. He slept with us in bed last night, but obviously didn't do that at
Isabelle's.

Steve's theory is that he was somehow more stressed, but he is a very
confident little dog, and loves all humans and dogs, so I don't see it.

Suja
Old January 16th 05, 09:23 PM
Alison

"Suja" wrote in message
Steve's theory is that he was somehow more stressed, but he is a

very
confident little dog, and loves all humans and dogs, so I don't see

it.

Suja

House training issues have come up a lot on other forums lately
and the UK behaviourist Gill White nee Minter said that weeing and
pooing indoors isn't always a lack of house training but can be sign
of other behaviour issues . More so, if the dog goes through phases
of being clean and then slipping back.
Titus *is* house trained but being moved around is stressful and
confusing for him, and pooing on the bed and such like is a sign of
underlying anxiety.
Alison

Old January 17th 05, 07:33 PM
Rocky

Suja said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So, what gives? Why is he housebroken here and not in
Isabelle's house?
The differences are that:

1. [snip]
2. [snip]
3. [snip]

Steve's theory is that he was somehow more stressed, but he
is a very confident little dog, and loves all humans and
dogs, so I don't see it.

Confident dogs stress, too, sometimes moreso when they're
outside their comfort zone. I agree with Steve.

Old January 17th 05, 09:02 PM
Suja

Rocky wrote:

Confident dogs stress, too, sometimes moreso when they're
outside their comfort zone. I agree with Steve.

Actually, I'm surprised he's more comfortable here than there. He knows
them better, has been in their house before, and plays great with
Isabelle. Around here, he is never quite sure whether one of the big
'uns want to play with him or eat him. But, even he figured out in a
short period of time that he can push the Really Big Dog around.

I have almost a whole roll of pictures of him, most of which are
probably too dark (hindsight being 20-20 and all that), but I did get
some good ones of him playing bitey face with Khan this morning. Will
probably get around to developing/posting in the next year or so. Man,
I need to go digital.

Suja