How does one exercise a dog in suburbia?

Old January 19th 05, 07:31 PM
Mike_NYC

Default How does one exercise a dog in suburbia?

Hi all

I am the proud owner of a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I live 25 miles
north of Manhattan in a town that has a rarely used "nature preserve".
This preserve is 31 acres and is mostly used by a few dog owners who
let their dogs run off leash. I have been going there for over 2 years
and loving letting my dog run and exercise. However while he does not
bother the wild turkeys he does tend to chase the deer. I have
recently read this is not good for the deer, and a bad habit for the
dog. So I have stopped going there.

So how does one let a dog get exercise? I walk him twice a day, but I
dont feel this is enough exercise for him.
This is my first dog and I am clueless.

Old January 19th 05, 08:28 PM

On 19 Jan 2005 11:31:33 -0800 Mike_NYC whittled these words:
Hi all

I am the proud owner of a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I live 25 miles
north of Manhattan in a town that has a rarely used "nature preserve".
This preserve is 31 acres and is mostly used by a few dog owners who
let their dogs run off leash. I have been going there for over 2 years
and loving letting my dog run and exercise. However while he does not
bother the wild turkeys he does tend to chase the deer. I have
recently read this is not good for the deer, and a bad habit for the
dog. So I have stopped going there.

That is a good interim step. Not allowing the unwanted behavior to
continue will make retraining easier.

So how does one let a dog get exercise?

There are many places that are specifically designed for dog exercise
areas. In your area I think they are usually called "Dog Runs". Where I
am they are called "Dog Parks". Start with that, while you start
attending classes on training your dog. Once you have trained a reliable
recall you can see if that training holds up in the preserve. If you have
problems you can always consider researching a competent electronic collar
trainer. But the skills you will learn in taking the classes will service
you well in many ways, so don't short cut it.

I walk him twice a day, but I
dont feel this is enough exercise for him.

It isn't enough.

This is my first dog and I am clueless.

Well, it is a great question. Also consider getting involved in some dog
related activities. Your breed has so many possibilities open. See my web
site noted below for an introduction to those activities. That will
network you with people with lots of dog experience and knowledge in your
geographic area. You will find most are friendly and eager to share.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old January 19th 05, 09:23 PM
Victoria Neff

In article .com,
Mike_NYC wrote:

So how does one let a dog get exercise? I walk him twice a day, but I
dont feel this is enough exercise for him.
This is my first dog and I am clueless.

In two words, "tennis ball." :-) In one word, "frisbee."

Throw same, for dog to retrieve.

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over........

:-)

Good for you for recognizing that your dog needs a lot of exercise!

Old January 20th 05, 04:40 AM
Mike_NYC

Well thank you both very much for the quick replies!

I see I have some reading to do

Tennis balls and frisbees would be to dangerous here, playing on a
street with traffic and all PArks are out, "No dog signs" abound.
I will look into a dog run

Thanks again

Old January 20th 05, 10:35 AM
Diana

"Mike_NYC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all

I am the proud owner of a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I live 25 miles
north of Manhattan in a town that has a rarely used "nature preserve".
This preserve is 31 acres and is mostly used by a few dog owners who
let their dogs run off leash. I have been going there for over 2 years
and loving letting my dog run and exercise. However while he does not
bother the wild turkeys he does tend to chase the deer. I have
recently read this is not good for the deer, and a bad habit for the
dog. So I have stopped going there.

So how does one let a dog get exercise? I walk him twice a day, but I
dont feel this is enough exercise for him.
This is my first dog and I am clueless.

Depends how long you walk him for, what kind of places you take him to, and
if you have a nice yard that you can encourage him to run. Variety is the
spice of life and mental stimulation is as important to him as physical
exercise.

1/2 hour ball game a day is both great for exercise,mental stimulation and
recall training if coupled with some out and about walks.

My dog, Cindy, doesn't have a yard but we have a big field opposite our
house. Just recently she's discovered her bloodhound heritage and has taken
to taking off after her nose which has meant we've gone right back to square
one with recall training. For this, we are using a 100' trailing training
line (pvc covered washing line from the hardwear store) fixed to her flat
buckle collar.

It's a pig to wind in and out at the beginning and end of the walk but while
she's running free it works wonderfully: one instance of failed recall I
drop my foot on it and she is stopped in her tracks.

It also seems to work well for those slow 'in a minute when I've finished
sniffing' recalls where I can just reel her in, get her to work/training
games such as 'twirl' to earn her reward and remember that being with me is
fun for a bit and then I'll release her for 5 mins before repeating the
recall. The second is guaranteed to be instant.

Diana & Cin
--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old January 20th 05, 02:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Mike_NYC" writes:

Tennis balls and frisbees would be to dangerous here, playing on a
street with traffic and all

If you must keep the dog on lead, I suggest using a vehicle to keep
up with the dog at higher speeds and/or to provide some load on the
dog. I started with skates, then went to a scooter, sled, and
bicycle (many years ago with young dogs). Now I just use a wagon
and walk along.

Get good equipment first. (Don't use a collar.)

--kyler
Old January 20th 05, 02:24 PM
Kathleen

Mike_NYC wrote:

Hi all

I am the proud owner of a 3 year old Golden Retriever. I live 25 miles
north of Manhattan in a town that has a rarely used "nature preserve".
This preserve is 31 acres and is mostly used by a few dog owners who
let their dogs run off leash. I have been going there for over 2 years
and loving letting my dog run and exercise. However while he does not
bother the wild turkeys he does tend to chase the deer. I have
recently read this is not good for the deer, and a bad habit for the
dog. So I have stopped going there.

So how does one let a dog get exercise? I walk him twice a day, but I
dont feel this is enough exercise for him.
This is my first dog and I am clueless.

Don't give up on the runs at the nature preserve yet. There are some
things you can do that might make it workable.

If it's legal to do so, bring your mountain bike. Even a slow ride is
faster than a walk. If you're moving at a brisk pace it gives the dog
less time to sniff around and bother wildlife and forces him to stay
closer and focus on you. Provides a better workout for you and him,
too. Be very careful on your first few rides. Dogs that are used to
running and jostling and playing with other dogs may be inclined to try
to try the same with a bicycle.

Also, bell your dog. The jingling announces your dog's approach,
allowing any deer in the area to do a quick fade before your dog
actually arrives. Keeps him from accidentally sneaking up on hikers,
too. You can find bells that snap or velcro to your dog's collar at
outdoor outfitters. Ask for bear bells.

And because I'm actually more concerned about encounters with humans
than wildlife, my dogs also wear visibility vests whenever I take them
out on the trail. They are blaze orange cordura, with reflective tape
striping. Makes them easy to spot and identify, and also serves as an
indicator to anybody that may encounter them that they are there in the
woods on purpose and that they're not stray, feral or lost.

Kathleen

Old January 20th 05, 08:16 PM
Diana

"Mike_NYC" wrote in message
oups.com...

Well thank you both very much for the quick replies!

I see I have some reading to do

Tennis balls and frisbees would be to dangerous here, playing on a
street with traffic and all PArks are out, "No dog signs" abound.
I will look into a dog run

If you don't have a yard, there are an awful lot of things you can do inside
the house if you just push some furniture to one side. we play jump through
the hoop, ball, 'go-touch the target', put the toys back in the toy box -
all great indoor games that help keep the mind busy and hopefully soon we'll
be playing with weave poles which hubby promised to make us a few weeks
back.

Diana & Cin

Enough Exercise? Pam Dog behavior 14 November 17th 04 11:21 AM
Border Collie pup - exercise Lynda Dog behavior 12 March 29th 04 05:52 PM
Border Collie pup - exercise Lynda Dog behavior 0 March 27th 04 04:59 PM
Border Collie pup - exercise Lynda Dog behavior 0 March 27th 04 04:59 PM
Mental Exercise games for Border Collies dratti Dog breeds 7 August 4th 03 07:34 PM