Newbie

Old January 20th 05, 12:00 AM
Jodi

Default Newbie

Hi All,

I have been lurking for a couple of days and wanted to introduce myself,
because I'm sure I will have lots of questions in the upcoming months.

My name is Jodi and my husband and I will soon belong to an Aussie Shepherd
named Tallulah. She'll be coming to our home around the first weekend in
February. Around this time there is going to be a cluster of shows in my
city that I'd like to attend, just to see what they are all about. Can I
just show up and walk around the show? It will be in a rather large dome
size arena with a lot going on. Would it be a bad idea to bring the puppy?
I don't want to freak her out, but at the same time, everything I've read
says that getting the dog used to many different kinds of situations is
good. I also have no idea what kind of etiquette this situations require
for someone like me (not showing a dog, just watching the show).

Also, any tips for a first time puppy owner would be much appreciated.
We've gotten a TON of info from the breeder, but the more the merrier. We
are definitely keeping her inside (crate-trained) and are taking her to
puppy kindergarten ASAP after we get her.

I have already gotten some good tips from this ng, hope to learn more!

--Jodi

Old January 20th 05, 04:22 PM
Jess Knoch

Jodi wrote:

My name is Jodi and my husband and I will soon belong to an Aussie
Shepherd named Tallulah.

Congratulations!

Can I just show up and walk around the show? It
will be in a rather large dome size arena with a lot going on. Would
it be a bad idea to bring the puppy?

While it would be good for her from a pure socialization standpoint, it
would be bad for some other reasons. First, every single show I have been to
has said specifically "dogs who are not participants are not allowed on the
grounds." You don't want to break the organization's rules, so find a phone
number and call until you find out the rule!

Second, you didn't say how old your puppy is, but if she hasn't had all her
shots, you want to minimize the risk of exposure to certain diseases. During
this time, you can socialize with other dogs you know to be vaccinated (like
a friend bringing their dog to your house), but public places can be more
risky.

I'm no expert, for sure, but I thought I would tell you what I could. Good
luck with your new pup!

Jess

Newbie Jessica Allen Dog breeds 0 November 9th 04 12:24 AM
Newbie Looking for Sheep dog trials in OK this summer fredred102 Dog activities 1 August 29th 04 05:11 PM
newbie question: licking legs Llew213 Dog behavior 0 October 24th 03 07:41 PM
Newbie, Pet Sitter in Seattle D Harrison Dog behavior 12 September 18th 03 09:12 PM
Newbie, Pet Sitter in Seattle D Harrison Dog behavior 0 September 18th 03 06:19 AM