conformation showing with facial injury

Old January 20th 05, 05:54 PM
Darby Wiggins

Default conformation showing with facial injury

I have a question about a scar such as this, when showing the dog, do you
point it out and explain in a phrase or two its injury (not a fault), or
is that a no no?
Darby

Aimee Nicole Schantz wrote:

Harry and I have our first conformation show this weekend. So of
course, last night Harry tried to steal Grant's kong. He got bit
on the muzzle, on the show side. It looks worse than it is. It's very
superficial, but REALLY obvious.

http://www.odnarb.com/harrycutface.jpg

Has anyone tried to show a dog with a facial scrape, or have any tips?

Aimee Nicole Schantz
Brando the APBT
Grant the AmStaf
Harry the Malinois
http://www.odnarb.com
http://www.rosecitydogs.com

Old January 20th 05, 06:34 PM
diannes

Darby Wiggins wrote:
I have a question about a scar such as this, when showing the dog, do you
point it out and explain in a phrase or two its injury (not a fault), or
is that a no no?

:-) You only point out a dog's virtues in the ring by
the way you handle them - you never ever ever call
any attention to anything you don't particularly want
the judge to notice, nor offer up information unless
asked. Sometimes the judge may ask you a question
(it's often about the age of a puppy, but I can see
a judge asking about a scar as well) you give an
honest answer but that's all.

Of course if you are not the world's greatest handler
in the conformation ring (and I'm certainly not) you
run the risk of calling attention to a dog's faults
whether you're trying to or not.... *g*

Dianne

Old January 20th 05, 06:50 PM
Darby Wiggins

well, this does make complete sense....Duh!...silly me :-)

I suppose if you have a young young dog or a puppy that had a bit more
enthusiasm than the older dogs, would the judge take that into consideration
when making placements? i.e., give a bit of leeway to a young dog, that best
fits the standard, who might be a bit more anxious/excited?
Darby

Old January 20th 05, 07:01 PM
diannes

Darby Wiggins wrote:
I suppose if you have a young young dog or a puppy that had a bit more
enthusiasm than the older dogs, would the judge take that into consideration
when making placements? i.e., give a bit of leeway to a young dog, that best
fits the standard, who might be a bit more anxious/excited?

Some do, some don't. If they truly can't be examined, the judge
is obligated to excuse them. OTOH, there are some very nice
judges that'll give a puppy a little extra time and help the
handler get them settled just so the puppy will have a good
experience in the ring. Finally some judges are much more likely
than others to put up a nice puppy over an adult.

JFWIW,

Dianne