Breed Identification

Old January 23rd 05, 12:23 PM
Nicodemus Telrenner

Default Breed Identification

Hello all.

While I am a breeder of miniature Chihuahuas, I do have two large dogs that i
have had for 4-6 years (4 for Bronx, 6 for Gangrel). Both are Rescues, and
out of morbid curiosity, I have been attempting to ascertain what breeds they
might be. One i am pretty sure (Bronx) one i have no clue (Gangrel)

here is the Pictures i have Uploaded:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=937311

The pictures are sorted between the two. sorry I don't have better pictures,
but all ia hve is a crappy All in one Web cam/Digicam (My Sony Cybershot took
ill and died ) :-).

Gangrel:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...ername=Gangrel

Gangrel was our first rescue. My Significan Other knew someone who worked for
Animal Control in Alamogordo, New Mexico. We had been searching for a
Rottweiler for me, wanting a rescue (such a maligned dog, a rescue would have
saved it from a certain quick death). His friend in Animal control nearly ran
this pup over (she estimated he was maybe 10 weeks old at the time) and so
nicknamed him Speedbump. Appropriate i guess :-)

Well, he didn't exactly turn out to be a Rottweiler. Love him Lots though.
We think he is either a Border Collie/Shepard Mix, Rottweiler/Collie mix (The
fantail, coat length and size are what lean us towards that) or A
rottie/...dangit can't remember the breed with the black tounge.. (this
possibility due to tounge spotting as described below).

Gangrel weights in at approximatly 45lbs, and is of medium strength. He has a
decently deep chest, Average width body, and has a long coat. His tounge has
black spots towards the back. Has standard rottweiler/doberman pincher/
(insert various breeds with this coat) markings, which are light brown and
black, and is extremely territorial, to the point we have to break him and
Bronx up on occasion because Gangrel will 9 times out of 10 pick a fight
becuase Bronx wandered to close to his spot under the futon. The joys of two
male dogs(insert grin here). He used to be playful, but is less so at this
point (being 6 years old, he's probably getting on in years). He is very
friendly though.

Bronx:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...ldername=Bronx

Bronx joined our family quite by accident. My Significant Other and I were at
a bookstore in Las Cruces, NM (where we used to live) and he had gone outside
to walk to a close by dollar store to pick up some nummers (snack food). I
was in the store, reading a book, when these two towheaded 12yo's come up to
me and tell me I was wanted outside. Puzzled, I went out to see Kendal in the
car, with what appeared to be Gangrel. Thinking Gangrel had gotten loose, I
went up to the car and ask kendal where he found him, and how the heck he got
loose. It was then he pointed out that this was not Gangrel, and upon
actually LOOKING at the dog I realised this was one was much differnt: short
coat, stockier build. There was the remains of a piece of rope tied around
his neck, broken and frayed at one end. Kendal and I surmised that he was
probably bred to be a fight dog, and had thankfully got away.

He grew up, and boy did he get bigger. He thickend out a touch, and looked
very Rottwieler-ish. His face, however, is too narrow, as is his body.

Bronx weights in at roughly 65 lbs, and is VERY strong. Willfull too, but
without a mean bone in his body. Just the overwhelming urge to kiss you silly
:-). We like to refer to it as Bronx Drownies. He is 4 years old roughly.
He has a short, smooth coat with coarse hair. He has a VERY deep chest
(thicker than mine i think) and a very thick Jowl line. I have been told
there are slighter built Rotties, but I beleive him, by the jowl line and the
head shape, to be a rott/pitt mix, common in Las Cruces for fight dogs (god I
so want to strangle those people). When he grins, it looks almost just like
the various pits i have seen pictured in breed books. Why Almost? Because his
coloring throws it off a touch. He has a whip-like tail (Tail of Doom (TM) )
and his ears flop over. He also has preresiquite Thick Skull (TM) good for
keeping out commands to quit drowning me :-). Tounge is completely Pink.

I do know, besides providing much loved joy and companionship, they also are
great having around when littering Chihuahuas. It allows the little tykes to
be acclimated to large dogs :-). They are really gentle around them, and
(probably because of Chiquita, the female) poor Bronx actually was afraid of
Magellan, the runt of the litter, for a little bit. He still is uneasy around
him at times. Its rather cute to see a 65lb dog suddnely jump up from his
sleeping position when a little oh...1 lb (havent weighed him) runt minature
chihauhua decides to get up on the couch.

Anyone who can help me, please, by all means, post your reply here in the
group. I know you cannot 100% tell me what they are, but I am looking for a
couple rough educated guesses from my fellow doglovers :-). (Note:
PuppyWizard need not apply. I already have you blocked :-) )

Thanks in Advance
Old January 23rd 05, 12:39 PM
Nicodemus Telrenner

Nicodemus Telrenner wrote in
7.136:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...10&foldername=
[...]

Side note:

On the territorial thing from Gangrel:

I realise it made it sound like he and Bronx don't get along. nothing
could be further from the truth. usually after a territorial tussel,
Bronx and Gangrel will lick each other and usually lay together on the
couch. And they will still play as well.

And for those who are bound to ask:

No they are not and will not be neutered/desexed. They never go out of
the house without a leash on and a human on the other end. Cadinal rule
in our house. I have a very firm belief of Responsible Ownership. If I
cannot keep control of my dog and keep track of him at all times, then I
should have no business having one in the first place. So both Bronx and
Gangrel have had no luck in getting out into the neighborhood here in
Denver.

::looks at the pictures:: Sigh...they are so cute... ::signs off to go
cuddle his doggies::

Old January 23rd 05, 03:36 PM
Liisa Sarakontu

Nicodemus Telrenner wrote in
7.136:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=937311

Please try to get better pics. In better light and in "show pose". Also
kneel and don't take the photos this high.

Anyway, the smooth-coated one might be half Rottie and half something else
(hound?) and the one with rougher coat looks like it has some sheepdog in
it - perhaps Border Collie. If there is GSD, the amount of it can't be more
than 25 %.

Liisa
Old January 23rd 05, 04:11 PM
Sue

"Nicodemus Telrenner" wrote in message
7.136...
Hello all.

While I am a breeder of miniature Chihuahuas,

What is a miniature Chihuahua?

Old January 23rd 05, 06:42 PM
DogStar716

They both look like Rottie mixes to me, hard to tell though, the lighting is
bad.

Dogstar716
My Dogs: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/TheBoys.html

Old January 23rd 05, 09:46 PM
Christy

"Nicodemus Telrenner" wrote in message
7.136...
Hello all.

While I am a breeder of miniature Chihuahuas,

What's a miniature Chihuahua??

Christy

Old January 24th 05, 04:54 AM
Nicodemus Telrenner

(DogStar716) wrote in
:

They both look like Rottie mixes to me, hard to tell though, the
lighting is bad.

Dogstar716
My Dogs:
http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/TheBoys.html

Well i did make the disclaimer my camera sucks :-) I need to get a new
one, but my good one ( a Nice Sony Cybershot) bit the big one.
Old January 24th 05, 05:14 AM
Nicodemus Telrenner

"Sue" wrote in news:ct0ica$m9k$1
@hercules.btinternet.com:

"Nicodemus Telrenner" wrote in message
7.136...
Hello all.

While I am a breeder of miniature Chihuahuas,

What is a miniature Chihuahua?

Sounds funny, I know :-) But they do exist, as well as teacup
chihuahuas. Actual name, is TOY Chihuahua, i just keep slipping in
miniature as a habit. Bad habit i know.

I can only give you a personal explaination, but I will skip it. i
recomment going to:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm

for the info on the breed (chihuahua) in general. Thier description of
Peanut is how my Chihuahuas are. As i said in this post, they two
lovable mutts are great here as companions and socialization. Before she
was sold, Bandit use to steal Bronx's toy right out from under his nose.
Boy did she earn that name...
Old January 24th 05, 02:04 PM

on 2005-01-23 at 23:14 wrote:

Sounds funny, I know :-) But they do exist, as well as teacup
chihuahuas. Actual name, is TOY Chihuahua, i just keep slipping in
miniature as a habit. Bad habit i know.

Chihuahuas are in the toy group, but the name of the breed is
not "Toy Chihuahua" or "Miniature Chihuahua" or "Teacup
Chihuahua" or any other of the cutsie diminutives that are
popular with BYBs. they are simply called Chihuahuas.

I can only give you a personal explaination, but I will skip
it. i recomment going to:

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/chihuahua.htm

that is not a source of good, accurate information. i would
not recommend the site to anyone looking for information on
dog breeds. a more accurate source of info would be the
national breed club:

http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/

for the info on the breed (chihuahua) in general. Thier
description of Peanut is how my Chihuahuas are.

that's meaningless. i bet i could find a description of
Boxers that would match my Boxer's temperament to a T, but it
would be a craptacular, inaccurate description of the breed.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old January 24th 05, 03:23 PM
DogStar716

Sounds funny, I know :-) But they do exist, as well as teacup
chihuahuas. Actual name, is TOY Chihuahua, i just keep slipping in
miniature as a habit. Bad habit i know.

Where did you get this info?

The above reeks of BYB/puppymill slang....