My dog is wierd...

Old January 26th 05, 04:55 AM

Default My dog is wierd...

my dog is a 1 years old greman sheperd, and he won't heel! i've been
using som of teh stuff you guys have said like the prong collars and
the rewards and stuff. he always pulls! what should i try?

Old January 28th 05, 04:17 AM
Ange and Rob

"Mary H Healey" wrote:

Obedience class and hands-on help.

My dog heels beautifully in class but not a chance outside. When we
practice in the yard with distractions he's fine, but on the sidewalk no
way. Any thoughts? I've tried the change direction routine as advised by
the trainer, but doesn't change anything.

Any help would be great

Ange

Old January 28th 05, 05:47 PM
Mary H Healey

Ange and Rob wrote:
"Mary H Healey" wrote:
Obedience class and hands-on help.

My dog heels beautifully in class but not a chance outside. When we
practice in the yard with distractions he's fine, but on the sidewalk
no way. Any thoughts?

Well, it sounds like your dog has learned "situational heeling" -- aka,
the "backyard OTCH".

I've tried the change direction routine as advised by the trainer,
but doesn't change anything.

First, teach and reinforce the "watch me" command. Then start taking
your dog to places that are NOT class and NOT the yard, but don't have
heaps of distractions. Work on *all* the obedience stuff he knows.
Heeling, sits, stays, downs, recalls, the works. You might find that
he's "forgotten" a lot of the stuff, but he hasn't forgotten, he just
didn't really know it in the first place. What you're doing here is
generalizing the commands so your dog knows that, say, "heel" is the
same in a new/strange place as it is in the usual locations.

Once he's got that sorta down (and you may need to visit a dozen or more
locations for him to really "get" it), then you find places that are a
little more distracting (food wrappers, people walking, *distant* dogs
or other critter life), and keep working on those obedience commands.
The point of this is to increase the distractions to increase the dog's
focus on you, but not make it too difficult for him to comply.

Of course, if what you want is a dog that heels on command, but can walk
on a loose leash the rest of the time, well, the change of direction or
"make like a tree" when he pulls are two things to try. Clicker
training can be useful for this, also. These all rely on pretty
accurate timing on your part, so when you pick a method don't give up
too easily. It might just be you g.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo:
Raise A Fund, ANZ Babylon Ranger, ANZ MarmaDUKE, and Rotund Rhia