vacuum

Old January 27th 05, 07:18 AM
Chris

Default vacuum

I've just rescued two golden mixes who shed a lot. They've overwhelmed
my vacuum. I have hardwood floors and would really like a
recommendation for a replacement machine from someone who's been there,
cleaned that up.

Thanks.

Chris

Old January 27th 05, 02:04 PM
Janet Boss

"Chris" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've just rescued two golden mixes who shed a lot. They've overwhelmed
my vacuum. I have hardwood floors and would really like a
recommendation for a replacement machine from someone who's been there,
cleaned that up.

Dyson - the yellow one (not the more expensive "animal" unless you have
carpeting). A truly amazing machine.

Janet Boss

Old January 27th 05, 06:49 PM
Rocky

Chris said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I have hardwood floors and would really like a
recommendation for a replacement machine from someone who's
been there, cleaned that up.

I've heard good things about the Dyson vacuum model that Janet
mentioned. My suggestion would be to "pre-sweep" with one of
those rubber broom/rakes - they work great on my hardwood and
lino for piling up the hair. This isn't quite like the one I
have:

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/OneSweepBroom.html

They're supposed to work on carpet, too. Nuh uh.

Old January 28th 05, 12:38 AM
culprit

"Janet Boss" wrote in message

Dyson - the yellow one (not the more expensive "animal" unless you have
carpeting). A truly amazing machine.

Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

yes, yes, yes! even if you have carpet, you can buy all the fancy "animal"
attachments separately if you want. that way you only get the stuff you
need.

we have the purple one. that and the Bissle "little green" steam cleaner
make it possible to have dogs and a white carpet. :-)

-kelly

Old January 28th 05, 09:23 AM
Christy

"Rocky" wrote in message

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/OneSweepBroom.html

They're supposed to work on carpet, too. Nuh uh.

Yes yes! They are MAGNIFICENT for sweeping pet hair off carpet. I love
them!!

Christy

Old January 28th 05, 10:09 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on 26 Jan 2005 22:18:00 -0800,
"Chris" did speak the following bit of wisdom:

I have hardwood floors and would really like a
recommendation for a replacement machine from someone who's been there,
cleaned that up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Like you, I have a lot of bare flooring with many scatter rugs and
runners also. I love my yellow Dyson. But I bought it when it was
first introduced here in the States. If you have mostly bare floors,
need to get underneath a lot of low-lying furniture or just don't care
for an upright, Dyson now a canister model available in the USA. I do
plan to pick one up soon.

In the meantime, I happily use my Dyson upright for "day-to-day"
cleaning and quick pickups. It can do the runners and small, light
scatter rugs without sucking them up constantly. And... no bags! Yea!!
But for the really deep, weekly cleaning (and for the dog beds), I
still go for my old Kenmore canister. It's nearly 10 years old and it
just keeps going and going and going. It has a beater bar to break the
static cling that holds the hair tight to the carpet, it gets
underneath every piece of furniture I own, and -- most importantly --
it gets dog hair out of their beds like nobody's business! The down
shot? With two very old GSD shedding monsters, I have to change the
bag about every couple of weeks or it does lose suction. It's nice
having the Dyson because I think I get a lot longer use out of each
vacuum bag than I used to when the Kenmore was our one and only. It's
a good compromise.

If you have a large area with all or mostly all bare flooring -- and
without scatter rugs -- you might be better off with a dry floor mop.
Forget those silly swiffer things. If you're going to do this, get
yourself a real dry mop from a janitorial supply place or Lowes or
Home Despot. Spray lightly with dust mop treatment and leave
overnight. These things will pick up hair, crumbs and God knows what
all else off a bare floor better than almost any vacuum. You shake
them out and store them with the head away from the wall (so they
don't stain the walls). Spray every so often with the dust mop treat
and wash and dry when filthy. They really do work great! HTH...
*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"
Old January 28th 05, 05:46 PM
Rocky

Christy said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

They're supposed to work on carpet, too. Nuh uh.

Yes yes! They are MAGNIFICENT for sweeping pet hair off
carpet. I love them!!

I've either got the wrong model or the wrong technique.
Luckily, my only carpet is 6'x10' and a slicker brush works
really well on it.

Old January 28th 05, 08:49 PM
Christy

"Rocky" wrote in message

I've either got the wrong model or the wrong technique.
Luckily, my only carpet is 6'x10' and a slicker brush works
really well on it.

Hrm. Or maybe you don't have Magic Sheltie Hair! Sticks to everything!

Christy