Westie + Thunder = frantic non stop barking

Old January 27th 05, 01:59 AM
Barbara Cuffley

Default Westie + Thunder = frantic non stop barking

Does anyone else have this problem with their dog? My 6 year old Westie
barks at thunder as if its an enemy on the roof about to attack him.
Nothing can distract him, he is so upset. Last night the thunder went for
a few hours and sleeping was impossible as we have to have him inside as he
would wake the neighbours.

My 6 year old female Westie however totally ignores him and the thunder.

Is sedating him a good idea? For his own good ? It will go on for all his
life and as he gets older it will distress him more. Any ideas would be
welcome.

Barbara

Old January 27th 05, 05:33 PM
ceb

"Barbara Cuffley" wrote in
:

Does anyone else have this problem with their dog? My 6 year old
Westie barks at thunder as if its an enemy on the roof about to attack
him. Nothing can distract him, he is so upset. Last night the
thunder went for a few hours and sleeping was impossible as we have to
have him inside as he would wake the neighbours.

I haven't had this problem with a dog myself, but my boss's dog has a
serious thunder phobia, which caused her one time to break out of her
electric fence and stay on the lam for several months, refusing to come
even to her family when they spotted her. It was awful. I am telling you
this to affirm your decision to have your dog inside with you at these
times.

Because I knew this problem could happen in dogs, I was proactive with
Zoe, and would clap my hands and squeal "it's thunder!!!! yay!!!!!" and
just generally dance around and be happy about the thunder. (I wouldn't
have known to do this on my own.) It worked well.

Does he like any certain tasty treats? You could try breaking out really
great treats which occur only when there is thunder...

--Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
& Queenie the new dog

Old January 30th 05, 06:02 PM
dogcookielady

"Barbara Cuffley" wrote in message
My 6 year old Westie
barks at thunder as if its an enemy on the roof about to attack him.
Nothing can distract him, he is so upset.

Is sedating him a good idea? For his own good ? It will go on for all

his
life and as he gets older it will distress him more. Any ideas would be
welcome.

I haven't had this problem but I know someone whose dog becomes extremely
upset and somewhat destructive during thunderstorms, which we have fairly
often. She's tried a number of natural products with varying benefits. Has
had good success giving a treat called Mellow Mutt which she gets at a local
pet supply store. I have no idea what's in it or who makes it---just
passing along a (for now) success story.

[BTW, She's a public school teacher and we've laughed a lot about the merits
of slipping these treats to her classroom troublemakers. : ) Just kidding,
of course. No flames, please!]

Best wishes,
Annette & little CJ who laughs at storms : )

Stop baking before you reply