is this better

Old January 27th 05, 09:55 PM
Janet Boss

Default is this better

Ok - trying Thunderbird here. Still going to be awhile until I figure
this out!
Old January 27th 05, 10:54 PM
Janet Boss

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:55:58 -0500, Janet Boss
wrote:

Ok - trying Thunderbird here.

You're getting warmer.

MUCH warmer...

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

ok - hellllllp! I downloaded and installed agent. Now i have no idea
how to actually USE it. I don't know what my news server is that it's
asking for? Ok - I'm apparently really internet iliterate, even though
I didn't realize it :-(

Old January 27th 05, 11:15 PM

on 2005-01-27 at 16:54 wrote:

ok - hellllllp! I downloaded and installed agent. Now i
have no idea how to actually USE it. I don't know what my
news server is that it's asking for? Ok - I'm apparently
really internet iliterate, even though I didn't realize it
:-(

take a deep breath. i promise, it won't bite you! now, if
Jack doesn't hop in and help you with Agent, i'd be happy to,
but it'll have to wait until i get home. i don't have it
installed on this machine and i'd hate to give you *almost*
correct directions.

in the meantime, check these FAQs:
http://loganact.com/agent/agentfaq.html
http://snipurl.com/ccl0

how to configure your news server info if you're using the
Berlin server:
http://news.individual.net/config.html (including lots of
screen shots!)

remember, deep breaths!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old January 28th 05, 12:09 AM
Janet B

HJM writes:

Good luck, Old Dog!

OK - bear with me while I learn THIS newsreader! ACK! I'm too old
for this stuff. I like things to stay the SAME. Ok, ok, it's just
the impetus I needed to get with the rest of the world and atop using
aol.

Janet B
Old January 28th 05, 12:31 AM
Janet B

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:39:54 GMT, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

Good luck, Old Dog!

ok - trying again - my first attempt hasn't shown up (yet?)

Janet B
Old January 28th 05, 03:21 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:31:31 -0500, Janet B
wrote:

ok - trying again - my first attempt hasn't shown up (yet?)

ladies and gentlemen, we have contact! congratulations!!!

now, one more tip: in your sig file, put in a sig dash (two dashes,
then a space, on the line above the start of your sig). that will
allow other folks' news readers to automagically trim off your sig
when replying.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

I have always wanted my colours to sing.
-- Paul Delvaux

Old January 28th 05, 05:11 AM
Rocky

Janet Boss said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

ok - hellllllp! I downloaded and installed agent. Now i
have no idea how to actually USE it.

PAY for it. Or try Xnews.

Old January 28th 05, 01:40 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:21:55 -0500, shelly
wrote:

ladies and gentlemen, we have contact! congratulations!!!

now, one more tip: in your sig file, put in a sig dash (two dashes,
then a space, on the line above the start of your sig). that will
allow other folks' news readers to automagically trim off your sig
when replying.

OK - this is still pretty cumbersome to deal with compared to what I
was using! I didn't ralize I had to download messages each time, and
still haven't figured out how to organize what's read, what's unread,
and how to make the read just disappear. I HAVE figured out
killfiling though, although having to click on "apply filtering" seems
like a pita step to have to remember. Maybe I just don't know how to
automate this yet.

BTW - I'm using the free trial rather than free agent, so this should
be full service, yes?
Old January 29th 05, 01:14 AM
Paula

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 07:40:44 -0500, Janet B
wrote:

I didn't ralize I had to download messages each time, and
still haven't figured out how to organize what's read, what's unread,
and how to make the read just disappear.

You can download all new messages in all groups you have subscribed to
by clicking the first button on the left in your tool bar. You can
have all the ones you have read disappear from your screen but remain
in the system in case you need to refer to them by clicking on the bar
that says "Subject" in the window that lists the posts. I can't
remember what came with the program and which ones I made up and
customized, but I have an "unread only" view that gives me only unread
posts in the window. I can switch to "unread messages with bodies" if
I want the whole thread there. The ones I have read will be marked
differently and won't be scrolled through when I use the space bar to
read the messages, but will still be there to refer to if I want to
look back at anything that happened previously in the thread (or
someone screwed up attributions or quotes or something). It is easy
to customize views with the buttons right there. If you can't find
what I am talking about, email me and I'll go through it with you.
Agent is a good newsreader. Since I have dial-up and like to be able
to use my phone, too, I use it a lot offline and that works out great.

--
Paula
"Or if you really want to meet me just take the NJT to 78, take 78 to 24, take 24 until it runs out, and then just drive around listening for the sound of quietly smoldering rage." Ben Allard