Corgis--Pembrokes and Cardigans

Old July 26th 03, 02:45 PM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Corgis--Pembrokes and Cardigans

Funniest thing. Here I've always been a "big dog person".
My husband has perpetually loved GSDs since the day
I first met him (over 11 years ago...), and we lost our rescue
GSD at the age of almost 14 last year. Now, he is stating
that he wants a Corgi--a Cardigan. I'm happy with this
choice, actually, since they are atheletic dogs, despite
their stature. We currently have a Belgian Sheepdog
adolescent (he's 10 mos. old--so, we're in no big hurry,
I'm actually thinking 2-3 years down the road before we
do get a new pup) and a Collie mix that is 3 1/2 yrs old.
Read: I'm used to herding dogs, shedding, and velcro
attitudes.
I've read the breed club website, and a few other websites.
I'd love to hear personal experiences from people that have
and work Cardigans (ie: herding and agility), since dogs
in our house work! :-)

Also...my sister-in-law is interested in the Pembroke. She
is most likely a pet-only type of home, looking for a companion.
She's asked me to help her in finding a responsible breeder,
or even a retired show dog. This will be her first dog as
an adult (even though she's in her late 30's), and she wants to
do it right (yay!). She has seen them, listened to my
descriptions of the ones I have met, and has met a few (mostly
all owned by the same person), and is in love with them.

Any pointers in the right direction would be helpful, especially
if anyone knows of a breed email list for either or both breeds
of Corgis.
Thank you!
Shelly & The Boys:
Coda (3 1/2 yr old Collie-somethin')
Bodhi (10 mos. old Belgian Sheepdog)

http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/BSD.html

Old July 26th 03, 05:31 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"DogStar716" wrote in message
I'd love to hear personal experiences from people that have
and work Cardigans

Me too Cardigan is on my list of "next breed".

Well, I will be honest...I had told my husband he could
choose the next breed we have, as long as it was a Belgian
of some sort! laugh He likes Bodhi, and he's fond
of the Tervuren he's met. But, he wants something a smaller
if we are to have 3 dogs, and I can see his POV.
Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's. And the bonus is, they can go herding
with Bodhi & I! Yay!
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 26th 03, 06:09 PM
DogStar716

Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's.

Might be easier to find then the above

A Mudi? Really? Why? Just curious

Dogstar716
Come see Gunnars Life: http://hometown.aol.com/dogstar716/index.html

Old July 26th 03, 06:40 PM
Rocky

Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Well, I will be honest...I had told my husband he could
choose the next breed we have, as long as it was a Belgian
of some sort!

Hah! You're lucky that you're in the US, then. Anywhere else,
he wouldn't get a choice between breeds.

BTW, Malinois for me. No More Large Coats.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 26th 03, 06:51 PM
Rocky

Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's.

We've talked about this before - I really like the Berger des
Pyrenees, though I prefer the rarer smooth faced variety,
probably because that was the type of the first one I met.
Tison:
http://www.pyrs.homestead.com/tison.html

Segue. He kinda looks like a black Mudi, eh?

I saw pictures of some blue merle Mudi puppies last weekend.
Very cool looking, though I'll probably still go blonde if I
ever get one.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 26th 03, 06:51 PM
Shelly & The Boys

"DogStar716" wrote in message
Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's.

Might be easier to find then the above

Yes, that was my thinking as well! Heck, I might
even be able to find a semi-local breeder! (Bodhi
came from MI)

A Mudi? Really? Why? Just curious

Small, cute, herding dog w/ a lot of tenacity, looks a bit like a Belgian.
Of course, let me just say I've never met one in person however!
Shelly & The Boys

Old July 26th 03, 07:01 PM
Ray M

I'd love to hear personal experiences from people that have
and work Cardigans (ie: herding and agility), since dogs
in our house work! :-)

My wife and I have a Jack Russell Terrier/Pembroke Corgi mix. He's almost
11 months old. Our experience probably is not the same as yours since this
was the first dog either of us has raised from a pup (we got him at 8
weeks). We also did not know that he was mixed with Corgi, as the person we
got him from rescued a litter of 8 and only knew that the mother was JRT.
We expected he would probably top out at about 20 lbs., so as he got bigger
(and Bigger and BIGGER) you can imagine our surprise. Once he started
growing we (and other people) started to see the Corgi side emerge
(physically and behaviorally). He's almost 40lbs now, so he split the
difference between a full grown JRT and a full grown Corgi.

As for behavior, since he is part herder, he thinks we are his flock and
likes to chase our ankles as we walk around the house. Again we are first
time puppy owners, so we have been using various methods to discourage him,
and I think he's getting better about it, but we're learning as we go.

Our other "problem" was leash pulling, but we started to use a Gentle Leader
with him and it has helped.

Other than those two issues, everything else has not been a problem. He's
fully housetrained and responds well to most other commands. If anything is
lacking, it's because we were not diligent enough with the obed classes we
took, and we recognize that, but we love him to death anyway.

Hope any of this might be useful to you.

--

Ray

"Captain Jack will get you high tonight
And take you to your special island
Captain Jack will get you by tonight
Just a little push and you'll be smilin'."

Billy Joel - Captain Jack

Remove "NO and SPAM" to reply

Old July 26th 03, 07:23 PM
Kathleen

Shelly & The Boys wrote:
"DogStar716" wrote in message

Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's.

Might be easier to find then the above

Yes, that was my thinking as well! Heck, I might
even be able to find a semi-local breeder! (Bodhi
came from MI)

A Mudi? Really? Why? Just curious

Small, cute, herding dog w/ a lot of tenacity, looks a bit like a Belgian.
Of course, let me just say I've never met one in person however!
Shelly & The Boys

I've only met one Mudi in person. His mom walks him along one of the
trails where I mountain bike. I have no idea whether he's a typical
specimen, but I wouldn't describe him as small. He's about the size of
a medium-sized border collie - maybe 35 pounds. His coat is longish -
about like that of a rough BC, but curlier - blue grey, mottled with
black. Typical obsessive herding dog demeanor and bearing, very strong
eye. Have to be careful passing him on a bicycle - he'll grab
reflexively at the tires, and the owner said that in fact he got his jaw
broken doing just that.
If I hadn't inquired as to his breed, I'd have guessed him for some
sort of BC cross... Maybe BC/cattle dog or BC/Aussie, based on his
coloring.

Kathleen
Z-Control Skid Boots
http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/ZControl.html

Old July 26th 03, 07:46 PM
Rocky

Kathleen said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I've only met one Mudi in person. His mom walks him along
one of the trails where I mountain bike. I have no idea
whether he's a typical specimen, but I wouldn't describe
him as small. He's about the size of a medium-sized border
collie - maybe 35 pounds. His coat is longish - about like
that of a rough BC, but curlier - blue grey, mottled with
black.

The one you know was on the larger end of the scale compared to
the half dozen or so I've met, one being a 7 year old male about
30 pounds (I'll ask next time I see him). In agility, most jump
22" so they're at least 16" tall.

I've never see a blue merle like the one you've described,
though in pictures, they're kewl!

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.
Old July 27th 03, 12:03 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Shelly & The Boys said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Of course, I was thinking Pyr Shep, or Mudi, but he seems
really set on Cardi's.

We've talked about this before - I really like the Berger des
Pyrenees, though I prefer the rarer smooth faced variety,
probably because that was the type of the first one I met.
Tison:
http://www.pyrs.homestead.com/tison.html

Segue. He kinda looks like a black Mudi, eh?

I've seen photos of him, he's a very handsome dog. And
yes, I also like the smooth faced ones as well. I don't do
whiskers very well. I was unaware that the smooth-faced
was rarer.

I saw pictures of some blue merle Mudi puppies last weekend.
Very cool looking, though I'll probably still go blonde if I
ever get one.

Wow...I've only ever seen photos of black, or dark grizzled gray/black
before. I know you've talked about your friend's blonde Mudi
before. You'll have to get a photo, I'd love to see it.
It's doubtful I'd ever have a "rare breed", since I do want to do
conformation as well. Another, bit larger, dog I like is the Beauceron.
But I'm not so sure the temperament is for me.
Shelly & The Boys