I traced her little footprints in the snow

Old January 28th 05, 11:15 PM

Default I traced her little footprints in the snow

[]
Aargh. For the first time ever, one of my dogs went over
my (6') fence. I was sitting in my office and saw Cinder in
the border along the porch. Thanks to about a foot of snow
on the ground I was able to find where she popped the fence,
but it looks like it's time to run a hotwire. Or would be,
but on Monday a bunch of big, brawny men are coming to pull
down the New England barn off the back of my house and to
build a new exterior wall (and deck, natch!), and this means
that they're also going to have to pull down a section of
dog fence. I was planning on running snow fence up near the top
of the yard as a temporary containment system (and boy,
words cannot express how much I'm looking forward to driving
t-posts into frozen ground), but if Cinder can clear a 6'
fence, the 4' snow fence will be nothing for her. Vexing.

In 1978, George Bush was warning that Social Security
would go broke in 10 years
Old January 29th 05, 12:12 AM

Cate wrote:
Not sure how you even do that this time of year.

I'll read a newspaper right before I head out to drive
posts. That should get me going.

Any chance you can stack one 4' panel on top of another and fasten them
together? And use 6' posts?

I don't think I've ever seen a 6' t-post but I can ask the
folks down at Agway. Also, the snow fence I already have is
the kind with wooden slats, but I suppose I could pick up
some of the plastic kind. I'm also thinking of calling the
people who put in the fence to see if they can put up some
6' panels for me. It's going to take over a month to get
this work done, possibly more if the weather is bad (and you
know I'm always hoping for bad winter weather).

Old January 29th 05, 02:20 AM
Sionnach

Heh. I think you've just outed yourself as a bluegrass fan. ;-D

Old January 29th 05, 02:28 PM

sighthounds & siberians wrote:
Melinda, you have my sympathies. However, as I'm sure you know, if
you have Siberians and this is the first time a dog has gone over your
fence, you're pretty lucky. Or is that the first time one has gone
over a 6' fence, specifically? Anybody ever gone under?

This is the first time I've had a Siberian escape.
Ironically, my big escape artist was Greta, who had a clever
collie brain encased in a big strong Newfie body. I'd been
assuming that if Cinder escaped it would be because she
tunnelled her way out - she's a great digger and has
actually completely exposed the poured concrete base holding
one of fence posts (and then she ate the dirt or something,
or learned how to conceal the evidence by watching old
prison movies).

So yes, I've been very lucky, and I guess it's now time to
beef up the defenses, which is annoying because the house
situation requires effectively lowering the defenses for a
couple of months. I think I'm going to put a hotwire on the
temporary fence.

How do you keep your Siberians in?

Old January 29th 05, 03:56 PM

shelly wrote:
you mentioned not having seen taller T-posts. i've seen them up to 7'
at Lowes, so you should be able to track taller ones down *some*
where.

Well, the other thing is that I wouldn't be able to drive a
7' post. Being on the skinny, round-shouldered nerd side of
the body type equation and being endowed with an
overabundance of no-twitch muscles, I have to stand on a
stepladder to get the first 6" of the 4' posts in so that I
can take advantage of gravity with the post driver.

However, the good news is that it turns out that Cinder
didn't jump the fence. Further investigation this morning
revealed that the contractors removed the windows in the
extension and that she was jumping into the extension from
the yard side and out through the field side, and then
running around to the front of the house. The "footprints
in the snow" (I always thought that was a dumb song - if he
could follow her footprints to find her, why couldn't she
follow her own footprints to get home?) were Cinder running
*up* to the fence from the outside, presumably to taunt the
other dogs.

I've still got to get some fencing in this weekend, but at
least I don't have an immediate escaping dog emergency.

Old January 29th 05, 05:28 PM
flick

Melinda Shore wrote:

Well, the other thing is that I wouldn't be able to drive a
7' post. Being on the skinny, round-shouldered nerd side of
the body type equation and being endowed with an
overabundance of no-twitch muscles, I have to stand on a
stepladder to get the first 6" of the 4' posts in so that I
can take advantage of gravity with the post driver.

You're going about this the wrong way. Unbeknownst to
me one day my 10yo son pounded in some 6ft T posts.

I was amazed, and he showed me how he did it. Put the
bottom of the post where it should go into the ground.
Tilted the post toward him until he could place the
pounder over the top; then let it slide down as far as
it would go.

Put his hands on the post under the pounder, and tilted
both to the upright position, then grabbed the
pounder's handles and set that post in.

You don't have to hold the post upright in position,
then place the pounder onto it, IOW.

flick 100785

However, the good news is that it turns out that Cinder
didn't jump the fence. Further investigation this morning
revealed that the contractors removed the windows in the
extension and that she was jumping into the extension from
the yard side and out through the field side, and then
running around to the front of the house. The "footprints
in the snow" (I always thought that was a dumb song - if he
could follow her footprints to find her, why couldn't she
follow her own footprints to get home?) were Cinder running
*up* to the fence from the outside, presumably to taunt the
other dogs.

I've still got to get some fencing in this weekend, but at
least I don't have an immediate escaping dog emergency.

Ugh, snow balls, and girls in heat Child Dog behavior 0 December 12th 03 05:26 AM
OT - snow! J1Boss Dog behavior 80 December 7th 03 08:54 PM
OT - snow! J1Boss Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 07:33 PM
OT - snow! J1Boss Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 07:33 PM
OT - snow! J1Boss Dog behavior 0 December 5th 03 07:33 PM