My dog ate a banana and is vomiting

Old January 29th 05, 05:00 PM
Audrey Salda

Default My dog ate a banana and is vomiting

Hello,

I have been reading this newsgroup for about a year and now I have a
question/concern.

My Australian Shepherd, Tiger (1 1/2 years old), ate a little less than
1/2 of a banana this morning (it fell on the floor while I was making my
breakfast and he snatched it up). About 30 minutes after he ate it he
vomited and has since vomited 2 more times. The first time vomit had
banana pieces and other normal partially digested food. Now it is clear
and mucus-y. No weird odors or colors.

I called the vet and they said that bananas are not good for dogs and
that if he continues to vomit or ate lethargic I should bring him in.

Does anyone have any information on what bananas will do to a dog? I
looked on the Internet for poison foods for dogs and on the ASPCA
website, but I can not find a list or any useful info. Does any one know
a good website?

Should I take him right to the vet now or should I wait it out?

Any advise is appreciated (except from TPW). Please reply to the group
since the email listed for me is intentionally incorrect.
Thanks,
Audrey and Tiger

PS: while writing this message he vomited 2 more times. That is 5 times
total.
Old January 29th 05, 05:21 PM

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:00:15 -0800, Audrey Salda
wrote:

Should I take him right to the vet now or should I wait it out?

wow. i've never heard of a reaction like that to bananas. i've
always given my dogs bits of banana--up to 1/3 of one at a time--and
have never had problems. is it possible that it's a coincidence, and
that Tiger got into something else or that he has something else
wrong?

either way, since he's continuing to vomit, i'd take him to the vet
ASAP. it could be that he's got a sensitivity to bananas or that he
has a blockage or something else. hopefully it's nothing serious, but
it's better to be safe than sorry.

fingers crossed! and, please let us know what you find out and how
Tiger's doing.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Remember, the curly toed miracle keeps the flip flop on.
-- Eddie Izzard

Old January 29th 05, 05:29 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:00:15 -0800, Audrey Salda wrote:

This is one of the web sites I trust most.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

This site should offer some peace of mind. National Animal Poison
Control Center -- for 24-hour emergency information.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...q mvm1.app28b

Your dog is getting rid of the banana; so, I believe he'll be okay. I
hope so.

Michael

"Only two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former."
Albert Einstein
Old January 29th 05, 05:34 PM
Audrey Salda

shelly wrote:

wow. i've never heard of a reaction like that to bananas. i've
always given my dogs bits of banana--up to 1/3 of one at a time--and
have never had problems. is it possible that it's a coincidence, and
that Tiger got into something else or that he has something else
wrong?

Thanks Shelly. I can't find anything on bananas and haven't heard
anything before. I guess it is possible that it is a coincidence,
however, he has not eaten anything today except the banana. He had
dinner last night (regular dry food and missing link vitamins).

Actually now that I think back...last night I dropped (i am very clumsy)
a container of seafood dip (the kind you get at costco) and the
container broke and dip went everywhere. He didn't get to much of that
though, maybe a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup, before I called him off
and put him in the other room until I cleaned it up.

Anyway, we are on our way to the vet. I will let everyone know how it
turns out.

Thanks again.
Audrey
Old January 29th 05, 05:48 PM
Audrey Salda

This is one of the web sites I trust most.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Thanks for the link. I am checking it out right now.

This site should offer some peace of mind. National Animal Poison
Control Center -- for 24-hour emergency information.
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...q mvm1.app28b

I did visit the ASPCA this morning, maybe I should call them instead of
going to the vet. I am just afraid they will charge me $50 to tell me to
go to the vet.

Your dog is getting rid of the banana; so, I believe he'll be okay. I
hope so.

Thanks. That is what my husband says too. I think i am going to take him
to the vet anyway (see how well we listen) just for my sanity.
Old January 29th 05, 11:21 PM
Spot

Pepto Bismol has changed the formula and it contains much more aspirin than
it ever did before. I would be very cautious about giving him this for an
upset stomach. Barney took 1/2 a cimetadine 3 times daily for an upset
stomach it 's much safer for the dog.

Celeste

"Leah" wrote in message
Audrey Salda wrote:
PS: while writing this message he vomited 2 more times. That is 5 times
total.

He could be getting dehydrated. Is he drinking a lot? If it were me, I

may
take him to the vet just to check that.

Did the vet recommend anything to give to him? My vet used to tell me to

use
Pepto Bismol. But you should check with your vet first, and ask for

dosage.

I've never heard of bananas being toxic to dogs. Could be that there's
something in it that he's allergic or sensitive to.

--
Family Dog Trainer
"It's A Dog's Life"

Old January 30th 05, 01:17 AM
culprit

"Spot" wrote in message
Pepto Bismol has changed the formula and it contains much more aspirin
than
it ever did before. I would be very cautious about giving him this for an
upset stomach. Barney took 1/2 a cimetadine 3 times daily for an upset
stomach it 's much safer for the dog.

first, the formulation of the regular stuff didn't change, only the label
was updated. second, pepto contains so little salicylic acid that it's
considered an inactive ingredient. third, aspirin is safe for dogs anyway,
so it wouldn't matter if pepto did have aspirin in it.

pepto is safe for dogs, vets recommend it all the time. i do agree that the
OP should get the dosage info from her vet. also, from experience, i
suggest getting the tablets instead of the liquid. :-)

-kelly