Jack Russel RUNAWAY

Old January 30th 05, 08:32 PM
mike

Default Jack Russel RUNAWAY

Hi Folks , Iv,e a Jack Russel bitch , 10 months old She can not put a foot
wrong around the house 100%
But walkies are a little exciting, I can only seem to trust her "off lead"
in open fields ,as she has no respect for safety when chasing a Rabbit ,
Hare or Birds come to think of it , she will run almost out of site . I have
a feeling one day she will not return , I need advice on a strategy that
will make her come back whilst in hot pursuit .

Mike
Peterborough England.

Old January 31st 05, 11:19 AM
Diana

"mike" wrote in message
Hi Folks , Iv,e a Jack Russel bitch , 10 months old She can not put a foot
wrong around the house 100%
But walkies are a little exciting, I can only seem to trust her "off lead"
in open fields ,as she has no respect for safety when chasing a Rabbit ,
Hare or Birds come to think of it , she will run almost out of site . I
have
a feeling one day she will not return , I need advice on a strategy that
will make her come back whilst in hot pursuit .

Mike
Peterborough England.

I'm working on similar issues with my weim - hunting dogs will hunt so its
best to try and nip it in the bud asap.

I don't know what basic training you've done with her? I would strongly
recommend a good class if you aren't already attending and clicker training
classes are particularly good fun for people and dogs. There's also a great
video by Joanna Hill who is one of the most respected dog trainers in the UK
today called the 'Motivation Movie' - our puppy class was pretty much
formulated around this movie, our first trainer being a friend and fan of
her methods.

....anyways, one of the first things we learnt was the recall circuit - very
easy and a great way to get your dog started on the idea of coming straight
back. Basically, in a safe environment, throw a piece of food under your
dogs nose. As it sees the food and eats the food, its head will come up to
see where it came from and whether there's a chance of any more. Call the
dog and show the next treat - the dog runs to you. Turn 360 degrees with the
dog following you round, throw the food so that it can follow its path and
the dog will go to the food, eat the food and return. Repeat 3 -5 times
several times a day.

Cin is by all accounts, typical of a weimaraner - keen to try and work out
how best to outwit you and gain the upper hand. Her recalls have been
getting sloppy of late and she loves people and will run off to say 'hi' to
anyone that looks interesting... and snog them, which they rarely
appreciate. In order to tidy these issues we're using a training line - its
a method endorsed by the www.apbc.org.uk though you do have to pay
particular attention to ensuring that the legs don't get tangled and its
horrible to pick up when covered in mud, it is kind, fair and effective.

Basically, I've got a 30mtr (100') pvc coated washing line attached to her
collar which trails freely behind her (ensure there are no tangles to get
caught in undergrowth). This just means that if she fails a recall, I can
stamp on the line to catch it, then stop her continuing or I can reel her in
if need be.

For a little dog, maybe 30' isn't really necessary, at least the weight on
the other end will be easier to manage!

There are other methods, some might suggest a shock collar and some might
suggest not letting your dog off at all, but the training line method is a
pro active means of training that gives the dog the unmistakable signal that
it cannot do as it would wishes and gives you instant physical control.

Diana & Cin

--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk