Pro Plan is great, but hard to buy in Canada

Old February 2nd 05, 05:40 AM

Default Pro Plan is great, but hard to buy in Canada

Hello:

I am a regular customer of Pro Plan products, not only for my Yellow
Labrador, but also for my calico cat. Recently, however, I have been
experiencing great difficulties in buying Pro Plan products.

Pro Plan products are not available in every pet store in Canada. I
believe the reason for this is because of the higher cost, when
compared to other brands. In my opinion, cost is not an issue when you
are paying for quality.

When I bought my Yellow Labrador from a breeder, she suggested
continuing using Pro Plan Dry Food, since it gives the dog a
well-balanced diet. I was so impressed with the results in my dog, that
I began purchasing the Pro Plan Dry Cat Food. Now, I have even expanded
my Pro Plan product line and began purchasing Pro Plan Biscuits, but
this is where my problem occurred.

For some odd reason, most of the pet stores that sell the Pro Plan Dry
Foods do not carry Pro Plan Biscuits. Often I hear stories that the
wholesaler did not ship the correct product or the "treats" are not
popular. As a result, I have to drive 100 kilometers, just to get my
dog his favourite treats.

Some individuals may think that I am crazy to do such a task for my
pet, but I believe it is my duty. I am willing to travel the extra
distance to buy the Pro Plan Biscuits because not only does my dog
enjoy them, but because he gets the same nutrients that are found in
the Pro Plan Dry Food. I truly recommend Pro Plan products for any dog
or cat.

Charli

Old February 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
culprit

wrote in message
oups.com...

Some individuals may think that I am crazy to do such a task for my
pet, but I believe it is my duty. I am willing to travel the extra
distance to buy the Pro Plan Biscuits because not only does my dog
enjoy them, but because he gets the same nutrients that are found in
the Pro Plan Dry Food. I truly recommend Pro Plan products for any dog
or cat.

what ever happened to the science diet guy? i think someone's trying to
give him a run for his money!

-kelly

Old February 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
Suzmyers

My dog developed kidney disease after eating Pro Plan for a year....can
hardly recommend it!
SM
"culprit" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old February 5th 05, 01:46 AM

Hi SM:

How did you know that Pro Plan was what developed the kidney disease in
your dog? My dog has been eating this food since he was a puppy. He is
now three, and I have never had a problem with him.

Charli

Old February 5th 05, 08:38 PM
Suzmyers

I don't know for sure that it caused the kidney disease...but my vet told me
to get off the Pro Plan and put him on a special low protein/low salt diet
once he was diagnosed. He had only been eating the Pro Plan for about a
year and half when the kidney disease developed and he had been very healthy
prior to his diet change to Pro Plan.
Once we put him on the special diet, all his blook work came back
normal. I also lost a Brittany to kidney disease many years ago, she ate
Purina products, also. I now feed my current dogs more of the "premium" dog
foods recommended by the Whole Dog Journal instead of the grocery and
Petsmart brands. I also do a lot of home cooking for my pets...they sure
like it A LOT more and look a lot healthy. And the kidney disease is under
control.
Here is an excellent web site about how to pick a healthy dog food for
your dog: http://www.dogaware.com/
Sue

oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 04:37 AM
gaubster2

Suzmyers wrote:

Here is an excellent web site about how to pick a healthy dog food

for
your dog: http://www.dogaware.com/
Sue

I wouldn't call that an "excellent" site, there's just too much biased
info there. The site takes the political position that WDJ is an
acceptable source of info, for one. Second, raw feeding is fraught w/
problems and is extremely difficult to "get it right". It's extremely
difficult to get calcium/phosphorus ratios correct or in levels low
enough that won't exacerbate an underlying issue. It's very ironic
that kidney disease would be mentioned on a site that promotes raw
feeding!

Old February 7th 05, 04:02 PM
gaubster2

elegy wrote:
On 6 Feb 2005 20:37:25 -0800, "gaubster2" wrote:

Suzmyers wrote:

Here is an excellent web site about how to pick a healthy dog

food
for
your dog: http://www.dogaware.com/
Sue

I wouldn't call that an "excellent" site, there's just too much

biased
info there. The site takes the political position that WDJ is an
acceptable source of info, for one. Second, raw feeding is fraught

w/
problems and is extremely difficult to "get it right". It's

extremely
difficult to get calcium/phosphorus ratios correct or in levels low
enough that won't exacerbate an underlying issue. It's very ironic
that kidney disease would be mentioned on a site that promotes raw
feeding!

it seems they have a kidney disease section because kidney disease is
a problem that needs careful dietary management. they have sections

on
a bunch of other diseases as well..... somehow i'm missing the irony.

The irony is that kidney disease "help" is featured on a site that has
a lot of links to sites that can actually exacerbate renal
failure...not help manage it! There are many factors to managaging
renal failure nutritionally. Phosphorus restriction, n-3 fatty acids,
and buffering capabilities, are only but a few of the qualities needed
in a diet for dogs suffering from kidney disease. Getting the proper
calcium/phosphorus ratio is difficult nonetheless and is even more
important with renal failure.

Old February 7th 05, 10:32 PM
Hal

Charli wrote:

How did you know that Pro Plan was
what developed the kidney disease in
your dog? My dog has been eating this
food since he was a puppy. He is now
three, and I have never had a problem
with him.

Charli

My Black Labbie has been eating Pro Plan all her 13 yr 10 months. Her
breeder started her on it and recommended it. The breeder is not a
"puppy mill" type but a private family (DuPont Co exec) who breeds for
the love of the animal and
some show dogs. Polly has progressed from the puppy blend to now senior
blend. She has always been in good health except now she sleeps more,
well so do I.

Hal

DOGS RULE

Old February 8th 05, 07:55 PM
Sharon too

My Black Labbie has been eating Pro Plan all her 13 yr 10 months. Her
breeder started her on it and recommended it. The breeder is not a
"puppy mill" type but a private family (DuPont Co exec) who breeds for
the love of the animal and
some show dogs. Polly has progressed from the puppy blend to now senior
blend. She has always been in good health except now she sleeps more,
well so do I.

The reality is that dogs who eat Purina, Iams, Hills, Ol Roy and the BARF
diet also get kidney disease. It's probably coincidence that Pro Plan was
the diet of choice at the time. When a pet lives on average 12 years+ a
lifetime of disease and aging is condensed into that time span and as humans
it's sometimes hard for us to watch our loved ones go through what we do in
75 years. What counts is the management of the disease once it is caught.
Yearly blood chemistries are so important, and twice yearly for the senior
(age 7+) pet even more so.

-Sharon