food agression

Old February 5th 05, 09:37 PM

Default food agression

Hi everyone. I have a 8 month old puppy that my wife and I got from
the animal shelter a 5 months ago (don't ask me what kind she is, I
think she might be a little bit of EvErYtHiNg). Recently, she has
start showing signs of food agression towards us. Basically, she'll
grow if anybody gets closer to her than she would like while she is
chomping away. She does this with her food dish, as well as with
treats that she really enjoys. I guess my question is, how can I
correct this behavior? I have read that it is a dominance issue and
she thinks that she is the 'alpha' of the house. Is it too late to
correct this? If anybody has any hints or suggestions, my wife and I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Old February 6th 05, 01:11 AM
Suja

treats that she really enjoys. I guess my question is, how can I
correct this behavior?

As of now, she does not eat from a bowl. All food comes from your hands.
She must do something (sit, down, whatever you've taught her) to earn
her food, and you feed it to her one piece at a time. Work up to holding
the bowl in one hand, with the hand with a kibble or two inside the
bowl. Then, drop the kibble in the bowl, but the bowl stays with you.
Then, leave the empty bowl on the floor, and as you walk by, drop a
couple of pieces of kibble in it. Start giving her a little kibble in
his bowl, and as you walk by, drop something of higher value (small
piece of hotdog, cheese, etc.) in it. Eventually, your dog will start
associating good things happening when you approach the bowl, and that's
exactly the reaction you want.

As for other stuff she likes to guard (like chewies or toys), play
trading games. I do this with my dogs although they don't really need
it. I ask to see what they're chewing, and give them a good reward for
giving it up. Sometimes, I'll check the item and return it, sometimes
I'll check the item, give a treat, and return it, and sometimes I just
say 'Thank You' and keep the item. In the beginning, you always want to
return the item (unless it is inappropriate). Your dog should learn
that when she gives up what she has, not only does she get it back, she
may actually get something extra.

What I have given are general guidelines, to give you some ideas for
what you should do. How fast you proceed, whether you need extra steps
or can skip steps depend on your individual situation. For a really
good book on how to deal with possession aggression issues, I would
strongly recommend 'Mine!' by Jean Donaldson.

One more thing. I have no idea how much obedience training your dog has
had. Both 'Leave It' and 'Drop It' should be part of her vocabulary.

Suja
Old February 6th 05, 03:28 AM
Rocky

Lee DeRaud said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

You're going to run out of "h"'s at this rate...

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

Old February 6th 05, 03:33 AM
culprit

"Rocky" wrote in message
Lee DeRaud said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

You're going to run out of "h"'s at this rate...

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

plurals of individual lower case letters are supposed to have an apostrophe.
;-)

-kelly

Old February 6th 05, 03:35 AM
Lee DeRaud

On 6 Feb 2005 02:28:54 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Lee DeRaud said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

You're going to run out of "h"'s at this rate...

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark!

Lee
Old February 6th 05, 03:36 AM
buzzsaw

I always 'played' with my dog's food and mouth while they ate. Maybe take
it away and give it make, pretend I was eating some too, that type of thing.
I used to massage the gums while he ate, and I do now with my Shepherd /
Rotti puppy - he don't care. And I doubt he will ever have food aggression
because of the socializing I did with him.

Maybe when she growls at you, take the food away.

Good suggestion to only away her to eat from you hand and after you have a
handle on it, do the above.

Another thing - If there is an Alpha issue - you ALWAYS eat first. I always
eat first (as an alpha dog would get first 'dipes'), then you feed her. She
can watch as you and wife eat you meals, and then you give her, her dog
food. Just like the leader of the pack would eat and when they were
satisified, the rest of the pack could eat the 'sloppy seconds'.

If you did the very first thing, the playing with the food and mouth, from
the beginning you would of never had this problem, probably. But definetly
get it corrected. You don't want to have an angry dog that is eating
something they shouldn't (plant, rock, plastic, etc.) and you not being able
to get it from them.

Maybe you can approach her while she is growling, and she won't bite. And
in that case you are all set to show her who is Alpha and who feeds who.

Good luck !

oups.com...

Old February 6th 05, 04:20 AM
Rocky

Lee DeRaud said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

Oooh, that's gonna leave a mark!

Stand back, then: Double plonk.

Old February 6th 05, 04:22 AM
Rocky

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

plurals of individual lower case letters are supposed to
have an apostrophe.

That's a new one on me. And stop trying to ruin a perfectly
good grammar flame!

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog. And there was a troll in that post.
Old February 6th 05, 04:28 AM
Lee DeRaud

On 6 Feb 2005 03:22:33 GMT, Rocky wrote:

culprit said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

And you just apostrophied a plural. Plonk!!!!

plurals of individual lower case letters are supposed to
have an apostrophe.

That's a new one on me. And stop trying to ruin a perfectly
good grammar flame!

Does that make it a grammar fizzle?

Lee
Old February 6th 05, 04:34 AM
Suja

Rocky wrote:

Stand back, then: Double plonk.

If you plonked him in the first place, how are you replying to him?

Threats are no good if there is no follow through, Matt.

Suja