Pit Bull Underground

Old February 5th 05, 04:27 PM
Leah Roberts

Default Pit Bull Underground

Do you guys remember when Gail, the dog next door, used to come get me
when she was ready to go home after a night on the town? Well, I hear
my girls' "Somebody we know is here!" barks, look outside - and
there's Blackie on the doorstep. Staring at me. Just like Gail used
to.

"You wanna go home, boy?" I say, after giving him some skritches. He
pops up and runs to his yard. I open his gate, he runs in and waits
for me to close it. We have a chat about the dangers of running free,
and I leave. Just like I used to do with Gail.

What is this... some kind of doggy underground? Is my name and
address on a fire hydrant somewhere? Here's who to go to when you
need to get back in your yard? If so, the pit bulls seem to be
keeping it to themselves. :}

--
Leah Roberts, Family Dog Trainer
It's A Dog's World
Old February 7th 05, 03:23 PM
ceb

Leah Roberts wrote in
:

What is this... some kind of doggy underground?

Nice story. I think the dogs know you have a kind heart and will help them
if you can.

--Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie
Old February 7th 05, 08:21 PM
Leah Roberts

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:23:44 +0000 (UTC), ceb
wrote:

Nice story. I think the dogs know you have a kind heart and will help them
if you can.

Oh, they know I love them and they can come to me for hugs and
skritches. But what's strange is that they come to me for this
specific purpose - to let them back into their yards.

Blackie had been howling and crying the night before, and yesterday I
put him back in his fence 3 times. Found out that his owner had been
away when I came out the 4th time, and the owner was there grabbing
him roughly by the collar. I told him what had been happening. He
laughed and said, "Did you miss me, boy?" Yep, sure did, even though
he was currently frightened and trying to back away. "You know," I
said, "He'll go back inside by himself. You don't have to force him."

"Oh yea?" the owner said conversationally, as he picked him up by
collar and a handful of short fur on his back and tossed him over the
4' fence, landing roughly on his side. And laughed when he saw my
reaction. "Aw, he's fine."

Yesterday for the first time, during one of my fun police missions,
Blackie snuggled up tight against me and buried his head between my
shoulder and chin. It had taken a long time to get him to even allow
me to pet him, because he thought he was going to get grabbed. Now I
understand why. He is such a sweetheart, it just breaks my heart to
see him living this way.