they'll lick you to death

Old February 6th 05, 01:43 AM
culprit

Default they'll lick you to death

yes, i know, everyone says that about their pit bulls, but i think with
mine, it's true.

we have a problem. my dogs lick too much. now, i love sloppy dog kisses as
much as the next person, and i did teach them to kiss on command, but it's
the non kisses that are bothering me. Manu will sit next to me and lick my
pant leg. what the heck is up with that? he'll just lick it calmly,
looking up at me every now and again, and soon enough i have a soaking wet
spot on my pants. if i tell him to leave it, he will, but he comes back
soon enough and starts doing it again. i don't pet him or give attention
when he does this, and yet it continues.
with Lola, it's a bit different. when we have company, she'll greet them
at the door submissively, tail low and wagging hard, and start licking their
hand very quickly. she'll continue licking their hands or feet on and off
for the whole time they're here (if we let her). this is not appropriate
behavior, but i'm not sure how to stop it. we have people stand still and
not look at her or pet her, we tell her leave it (this works for a couple
minutes), we spray her with water (also, only works a few minutes). and she
still keeps doing it.

any suggestions on how to get my dogs to hold their tongues?

-kelly

Old February 6th 05, 03:02 AM
Mike Marlow

Please remove the cross posts from your endless rants. Your tirades are
unwanted outside of your doggie group.

Old February 6th 05, 04:27 AM
Jeff P.

You are posting this crap to several camera groups and a few woodworking
groups. Please be more careful.

Old February 6th 05, 04:41 AM
Tee

"culprit" wrote in message

[...]

Pebbles was a manic licker. She'd lick *everything* she could get her
tongue on and wouldn't stop. She'd lick the carpet, the sofa, the dog bed,
clothing and her favorite was a person's neck. Come to think of it, she
never was a hard surface (tile, wood furniture, appliances) licker, just
fabric & skin. I can't begin to count how many times I've told her to knock
it off over the years. She stopped licking clothing around the age of 3 or
4. I guess it finally sunk in that when she licked our clothing she got
yelled at (as in told NO MA'AM) and physically removed from the person she
was licking. Never did get her to stop licking the other things. Nor did
we ever find a rhyme or reason to the licking episodes.

--
Tara