Hips

Old February 7th 05, 07:02 PM
ceb

Default Hips

Greetings:

I am going to have Queenie's hips xrayed when she goes to be spayed in a
few weeks, because her mother was a Golden and she may also have some GSD
in her, and she's big, and it's just a good idea.

I noticed this weekend that she still does that puppy move of stretching
her back legs out behind her like frogs' legs, when she's laying on the
floor (she's about 1.5 years old). I was wondering if anyone knew if that
was a good, neutral, or negative sign in terms of possible hip dysplasia --
in other words, would a dog who was dysplastic be unable to do that? It
seems like it would take a bit of flexibility!

--Catherine
& Queenie the retriever mix
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old February 7th 05, 07:54 PM
ceb

diddy wrote in
:

in thread : ceb
whittled the following words:

Greetings:

I am going to have Queenie's hips xrayed

I noticed this weekend that she still does that puppy move of
stretching her back legs out behind her like frogs' legs, when she's
laying on the floor (she's about 1.5 years old).

Reka lays like that ALL the time. She has bad hip dysplasia. She's
kept thin, exercized lots, and so far (4 years) pain has not reared
it's ugly head. Danny also did that lots, and had OFA good hips, and
never had hip issues. My vet says dogs that can do that have really
really good hips, or really really bad hips. I have one each. Not
sure if her observations are true.

Good to know, thanks. I guess I'll just need to wait for the xrays. I'm
sorry about Reka's hips, though.

--Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie
Old February 7th 05, 08:00 PM
Rocky

ceb said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I noticed this weekend that she still does that puppy move
of stretching her back legs out behind her like frogs'
legs, when she's laying on the floor (she's about 1.5 years
old). I was wondering if anyone knew if that was a good,
neutral, or negative sign in terms of possible hip
dysplasia -- in other words, would a dog who was dysplastic
be unable to do that? It seems like it would take a bit of
flexibility!

I have only anecdotal evidence from a friend's Malinois.
Background: my friend has trained his dogs in many dog sports,
appears knowledgeable in most things dog, and all of his
breeder-bought dogs are in the OFA registry.

Anyway, his female Malinois lies down the way you describe.
This dog has no hip dysplasia and, in fact, my friends points to
this tendency as an indication that she has superb hips.
Personally, I'd like to hear from others on the latter.

Old February 7th 05, 08:23 PM
ceb

Rocky wrote in
:

Anyway, his female Malinois lies down the way you describe.
This dog has no hip dysplasia and, in fact, my friends points to
this tendency as an indication that she has superb hips.
Personally, I'd like to hear from others on the latter.

Thanks, Matt. I hope your friend is right!

--Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie
Old February 7th 05, 09:29 PM
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:
ceb said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I have only anecdotal evidence from a friend's Malinois.
Background: my friend has trained his dogs in many dog sports,
appears knowledgeable in most things dog, and all of his
breeder-bought dogs are in the OFA registry.

Anyway, his female Malinois lies down the way you describe.
This dog has no hip dysplasia and, in fact, my friends points to
this tendency as an indication that she has superb hips.
Personally, I'd like to hear from others on the latter.

It's not a reliable indicator one way or the other. Cala does this and
is OFA Good (verging on Excellent according to Dr. Keller). Viva doesn't
and is OFA good. However, I've also heard that dogs who "frog" like this
may have very loose joints and ill-fitting heads, so may be dysplastic
which also makes sense. solution--do the xrays and depend on those not
the way the dog lies down.

Old February 7th 05, 09:52 PM
ceb

Robin Nuttall wrote in news:4dQNd.53888$IV5.19713
@attbi_s54:

solution--do the xrays and depend on those not
the way the dog lies down.

Will do. I had just been wondering if it meant anything, that's all. Thanks
for the info.

--Catherine
& Zoe & Queenie
Old February 8th 05, 12:42 AM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

It's not a reliable indicator one way or the other. Cala
does this and is OFA Good (verging on Excellent according
to Dr. Keller). Viva doesn't and is OFA good. However, I've
also heard that dogs who "frog" like this
may have very loose joints and ill-fitting heads, so may
be dysplastic
which also makes sense. solution--do the xrays and depend
on those not the way the dog lies down.

I can't find his dog on the OFA website, but she was supposedly
OFA Excellent.

Old February 8th 05, 12:48 AM
Janet B

On 7 Feb 2005 23:42:39 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Robin wrote:
However, I've
also heard that dogs who "frog" like this
may have very loose joints and ill-fitting heads, so may
be dysplastic
which also makes sense. solution--do the xrays and depend
on those not the way the dog lies down.

I can't find his dog on the OFA website, but she was supposedly
OFA Excellent.

Franklin doesn't frog, but he sleeps on his back with all 4 legs in
different directions. He's OFA excellent. He's the incredible
strechable guy.

--
Janet B
Old February 8th 05, 04:56 AM
Robin Nuttall

Rocky wrote:

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

It's not a reliable indicator one way or the other. Cala
does this and is OFA Good (verging on Excellent according
to Dr. Keller). Viva doesn't and is OFA good. However, I've
also heard that dogs who "frog" like this
may have very loose joints and ill-fitting heads, so may
be dysplastic
which also makes sense. solution--do the xrays and depend
on those not the way the dog lies down.

I can't find his dog on the OFA website, but she was supposedly
OFA Excellent.

If he's not on the OFA website, he's not OFA Excellent. Period. Now if
you aren't sure of the dog's name, or part of name and can't find him
it's one thing. But every dog registered with the OFA since 1974 is in
the website database. Hence, if the dog is not there somebody's telling
a tall tale.

Old February 8th 05, 08:18 AM
Rocky

Robin Nuttall said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

If he's not on the OFA website, he's not OFA Excellent.
Period.

What's the procedure? Could I get Rocky OFAed but choose to not
have him listed since he's incapable of contributing to the gene
pool?

Now if you aren't sure of the dog's name, or part
of name and can't find him it's one thing.

I only know the dog's call name and approximate birth date
(I've already checked the call name - it must not be part of
the registered name). No where near enough information to leaf
through all of the Malinois on the OFA site. Maybe you could
start asking for call names as part of the information? I
suppose that it wouldn't make any difference, though - if I was
looking to buy or breed a dog, I'd obviously know the name of
the kennel with which I was getting involved.