Found an interisting web site with mega info on dog breeds

Old February 8th 05, 05:57 PM
PHIL

Default Found an interisting web site with mega info on dog breeds

Hi all:

I was doing a Google search trying to find info on the estimated
life span of my two girls KC & Sara.

I came across a very interesting web site- www.petplanet.co.uk
click on the 'breed profile' at the top of the page.
You can pick any breed and get info on dozens of aspects regarding
that dog. As in average height, weight, health issues, food requirements
life span, temperament, history and much, MUCH more!

I have no connection to this web site- I live in the USA, and it is located
in the UK. I just thought it was very cool & wanted to share the info

--
--PHIL--
Old February 8th 05, 06:13 PM

on 2005-02-08 at 17:57 wrote:

I came across a very interesting web site-
www.petplanet.co.uk click on the 'breed profile' at the top
of the page. You can pick any breed and get info on dozens of
aspects regarding that dog. As in average height, weight,
health issues, food requirements life span, temperament,
history and much, MUCH more!

it's not as bad as some breed profile websites i've seen, but
that's not saying much. re Boxers: "As the Boxer is an
intelligent breed he needs to be dominated when being
trained." and, "little" shedding? haw!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old February 8th 05, 08:52 PM
Tee

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-02-08 at 17:57 wrote:

I came across a very interesting web site-
www.petplanet.co.uk click on the 'breed profile' at the top
of the page. You can pick any breed and get info on dozens of
aspects regarding that dog. As in average height, weight,
health issues, food requirements life span, temperament,
history and much, MUCH more!

it's not as bad as some breed profile websites i've seen, but
that's not saying much. re Boxers: "As the Boxer is an
intelligent breed he needs to be dominated when being
trained."

I really don't like the use of the word "dominated" as for many people it
means using physical force.

and, "little" shedding? haw!

"little hairs resulting in lots of shedding" would be more appropriate
dontcha think?

--
Tara

Old February 8th 05, 10:11 PM
Davina Stuart

"shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2005-02-08 at 17:57 wrote:

I came across a very interesting web site-
www.petplanet.co.uk click on the 'breed profile' at the top
of the page. You can pick any breed and get info on dozens of
aspects regarding that dog. As in average height, weight,
health issues, food requirements life span, temperament,
history and much, MUCH more!

it's not as bad as some breed profile websites i've seen, but
that's not saying much. re Boxers: "As the Boxer is an
intelligent breed he needs to be dominated when being
trained." and, "little" shedding? haw!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)

for the heck of it i went and looked up what they had for poms, which is
what we have..
good basic info, but again, when it comes to info on shedding..."little"
doesn't quite seem to fit with the volume of hair we get regularly off of
them....
i suppose if you brushed your dogs three times a day there might not bemuch
by way of additional shedding... but...
the only time we had "little" shedding with any of em was when we first got
Pepe, and that was only cuz she was a naked little furless cutie... (we've
since mananged to get her coat to grow back..)

Old February 9th 05, 12:03 PM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:52:25 -0500, "Tee"
wrote:

I really don't like the use of the word "dominated" as for many people it
means using physical force.

exactly. i tend to think that if you have to resort to dominating a
dog, there's something seriously wrong. and, using dominance as a
matter of course is just asking for trouble.

"little hairs resulting in lots of shedding" would be more appropriate
dontcha think?

yeah. i'm trying to decide if my, um, favorite is the hair splinter
in the foot or the hair stuck int the back of my throat.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Is not life a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Old February 9th 05, 12:07 PM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:11:18 -0900, "Davina Stuart"
wrote:

i suppose if you brushed your dogs three times a day there might not bemuch
by way of additional shedding... but...

haw! i don't know about Poms, but with Boxers, you can brush and
brush and brush, until you're sure they can't possibly have a loose
hair left, and they *still* shed. where does all that hair come
from?!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Welcome to Church of England. Cake or death?
-- Eddie Izzard

Old February 9th 05, 03:27 PM
Davina Stuart

wrote:

i suppose if you brushed your dogs three times a day there might not

bemuch
by way of additional shedding... but...

haw! i don't know about Poms, but with Boxers, you can brush and
brush and brush, until you're sure they can't possibly have a loose
hair left, and they *still* shed. where does all that hair come
from?!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Welcome to Church of England. Cake or death?
-- Eddie Izzard

poms have a nice thick undercoat of very fine, "fluffy" hair.. that loves to
be left over just about everything.. and come "spring" when they decide to
blow their coat.. look cout, you'll find piles of it...
i know of people who spin yarn from their pommie's coats.. i've thought
about it, but don't have room for a spinning wheel atm..
instead, we wash some of it and let the mice use it as nesting material..
(step son wanted mice for his birthday.. we got him a few females.. one was
pregnant.. we now have 14 mice.. 7 of them male.. *sigh*)
plus their guard hair outer coat, which they also shed.. so, fur fur
everywhere.... usually in clumps..

Old February 9th 05, 04:51 PM
diannes

Davina Stuart wrote:
i know of people who spin yarn from their pommie's coats.. i've thought
about it, but don't have room for a spinning wheel atm..

Drop spindles work quite nicely for making yarn and take hardly
any room at all:

http://www.handspinning.com/lollipops/spininst.htm
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/make-dropspin.html

:-)

Dianne
Old February 10th 05, 10:31 PM
Davina Stuart

"diannes" wrote in message
Davina Stuart wrote:
i know of people who spin yarn from their pommie's coats.. i've thought
about it, but don't have room for a spinning wheel atm..

Drop spindles work quite nicely for making yarn and take hardly
any room at all:

http://www.handspinning.com/lollipops/spininst.htm
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/make-dropspin.html

:-)

Dianne

i've thought about it.. but.. hubby promised when he proposed that he'd
build me a spinning wheel.. and if i were to start using a drop spindle.. he
might htink he's found a way out of that promise... hehehee