Atlas' terrible trip to the vet - do all dogs get this sick?

Old February 9th 05, 08:28 AM
Cin

Default Atlas' terrible trip to the vet - do all dogs get this sick?

hi everyone. Atlas had a dreaded grass seed in his paw. I check EVERY week
after obedience.... forgot this week.

I took him to the vet (tried to get it out myself but it was too infected)
he had a fiddle around with him awake and couldnt see it. So while I was
there they knocked him out (just by injection) and cut his paw and found the
seed.

Anyway. This is the first time At has been knocked out and he is soooo
sick. He was only away for about an hour before I picked him up, so I knew
he was going to be tired.. He has the runs really bad and has thrown up
2times in the last hour.

My dads dog never had anything like this. Is it a common thing of could it
just be Atlas reacts different then most dogs?

Cin (off to clean ANOTHER lot of dog blankets...)

--
Cindy Collings

Cin's Pet Sitting And Dog Walking

"Giving your pets the best they deserve!"

Old February 9th 05, 02:38 PM
diannes

Cin wrote:
I took him to the vet (tried to get it out myself but it was too infected)
he had a fiddle around with him awake and couldnt see it. So while I was
there they knocked him out (just by injection)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the issue right there - what you're describing are not-uncommon
side effects of injectable anesthesia. Gas anesthesia doesn't cause
what you're describing; there's also one kind of injectable (propofol)
that dogs come out of very quickly and without distress.

With the other injectables, though, nausea and disorientation are
very common side effects. I once held one of my dogs while he woke
up from valium & ketamine (a popular anesthetic combination) and he
was quite miserable - after that I always asked that he get propofol
when he needed to be knocked out for a short period of time. It's
possible that propofol wouldn't have knocked out Atlas for as long
as he needed to be, though; it keeps them unconscious for only a
couple of minutes.

The moral of the story is that if your dog needs to be put under
for a procedure, do ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they're
planning to use, why they've chosen it, what kind of recovery
period will your dog have, and what the other options might be.
A good vet should be very happy to discuss these issues with you.

Dianne
Old February 10th 05, 07:27 AM
Cin

The moral of the story is that if your dog needs to be put under
for a procedure, do ask the vet what kind of anesthesia they're
planning to use, why they've chosen it, what kind of recovery
period will your dog have, and what the other options might be.
A good vet should be very happy to discuss these issues with you.

He was very happy, informed me that 99% of dogs come out of it with no
problems (just a bit dopey for a few hours)

Guess Atlas was the 1%

He is up and about today, I had to work so my mother and my neighbour came
over a few times, he was sick 2 times last night and is ok now, still has
loose stools, VERY happy to see me home, and ate his dinner. His food is
still a little sore.

Thanks

cin

Dianne

Old February 10th 05, 07:30 AM
Cin

I'm SO glad you caught that before it developed further problems!
I almost lost a dog to a grass awn.
http://shell2.lomag.net/~moosedog/surgery

And yes, diarhea and vomiting can be common after effects of anesthetic

Me too. My fathers dog always gets them, the vet has told me how serious
they can be (a lot of people just dont believe it). If it was anything else
I would not have rushed to the vet, but having seen them before, I thought I
was better off doing it ASAP

What an operation! How did your dog recover?

Thanks for all the information.
do you mind if I print it off for future use?

cin

Old February 11th 05, 07:48 PM
Natalie Rigertas

diddy wrote:
go ahead
I put it up for information like this, so that people don't take grass awns
lightly.
I think his probably penetrated through his thick neck ruff, instead of
through a paw. But I never knew it was there until it was a problem, so I
really don't know for sure.

They really are horrible. My friend's dog almost died of it too. They
had a hard time finding what was wrong, because nothing showed up on
x-rays that made them think it was a grass awn. I think he might have
inhaled his, since they never found an entrance wound and he's extremely
short coated, his owner checks every time he's back from the field, so
it's unlikely that she would have missed a fresh wound, however small.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 12th 05, 04:56 AM
culprit

"Cin" wrote in message

Me too. My fathers dog always gets them, the vet has told me how serious
they can be (a lot of people just dont believe it). If it was anything
else I would not have rushed to the vet, but having seen them before, I
thought I was better off doing it ASAP

Lola has had a couple stuck in her toes as well. luckily, we've been able
to get them out without having to put her under. they are nasty little
things though. the vet said they're particularly a problem between the toes
of short coated breeds.

FWIW, it seems like a lot of bully dogs have sensitive tummies, so i'm not
terribly surprised that Atlas was one of the 1%. i'm sure my dogs would
have similar reactions. i hope he's feeling better.

Old February 12th 05, 07:01 AM
Gold Dust

Do you mean a tiny grass seed like the type you buy to seed your lawn
or to plant new grass? Someone mentioned an "awn". Is that different? I
know that those horrible foxtails and find their way into dogs' skin
and body.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Old February 12th 05, 07:15 AM
culprit

"Gold Dust" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you mean a tiny grass seed like the type you buy to seed your lawn
or to plant new grass? Someone mentioned an "awn". Is that different? I
know that those horrible foxtails and find their way into dogs' skin
and body.

it's the outer layer of the seed head (flower) of tall grass. they're sharp
and pointy. i think the grass seed you buy for your lawn has the outer hull
removed so it sprouts more quickly.

-kelly

Old February 12th 05, 12:30 PM
Cin

cin

go ahead
I put it up for information like this, so that people don't take grass
awns
lightly.
I think his probably penetrated through his thick neck ruff, instead of
through a paw. But I never knew it was there until it was a problem, so I
really don't know for sure.

Thanks. I will print it off and show my clients if they ask about it. I also
informed my instructors about it at class and they are going to make an
announcement tomorrow for people to keep an eye out.

Cin

Old February 12th 05, 12:34 PM
Cin

FWIW, it seems like a lot of bully dogs have sensitive tummies, so i'm not
terribly surprised that Atlas was one of the 1%. i'm sure my dogs would
have similar reactions. i hope he's feeling better.

He is feeling fine. I took the bandage off tonight, I was going to try to
leave it on till tomorrow as we do obedience, but it was annoying him soooo
much, and the vet did say to take it off tonight. We went to class and had a
little play, his foot seems ok but we wont be going to the 'big classes'
tomorrow, Atlas will stay at home and mummy will get up at a stupid hour
(8am... i get up at 5 EVERY morning, sunday's 8am wake up is a sleep in for
me...) and go and help out.

I took him for a bath yesterday (with a plastic bag wrapped around his foot)
and he smells soooooooooooooooooooooo much better! he is in his crate
licking and licking and licking his foot. started eating well today and is
actually wagging his tail at me, the last two days he has only wagged it for
other people, not me!

Cin