Proposed Dock/Crop Ban in W. Hollywood

Old February 9th 05, 05:37 PM
Tee

Default Proposed Dock/Crop Ban in W. Hollywood

cross-posted

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...ddlyEnoughNews

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - All dogs go to heaven. And the ones from West
Hollywood may now get there with their ears and tails intact.
The mayor of West Hollywood -- a liberal, pet-embracing city adjacent to Los
Angeles that two years ago brought America a ban on the declawing of cats --
has proposed a new ordinance making "tail-docking" and "ear-cropping"
illegal.

The new law, which was scheduled for debate before the West Hollywood City
Council on Monday, would also ban other nontherapeutic or cosmetic surgeries
on animals.

"By docking the tails of dogs or cropping their ears, animals are subjected
to painful and unnecessary procedures and somebody has to stand up to this
cruelty," West Hollywood Mayor John Duran said in a written statement.

"I believe the anti-declawing ordinance was the first step in addressing
human cruelty to animals but we have to do more and this proposed ordinance
is the next step," he said. "West Hollywood has never hesitated to take
necessary actions to stop cruelty to animals."

Tail-docking and ear-cropping are prohibited by law in some European
countries.

Old February 9th 05, 07:59 PM
Natalie Rigertas

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Tee wrote:
cross-posted

The new law, which was scheduled for debate before the West Hollywood City
Council on Monday, would also ban other nontherapeutic or cosmetic surgeries
on animals.

The law did go through, unfortunately.

natalie
--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 9th 05, 08:03 PM
Darby Wiggins

so what happens if you walk your Dobbie or Boxer through W. Hollywood?....does it
apply to "visiting" dogs (and how will they determine who is visiting or
residing?) or all dogs within city limits? what about a dog born outside the
limits who "immigrated"? or a dog born in city limits - what, do they have to
"emigrate" elsewhere to have a tale docked or ears cropped?....silly people

Old February 9th 05, 11:27 PM
Cate

"Tee" wrote in
:

"I believe the anti-declawing ordinance was the first step in
addressing human cruelty to animals

Not sure that's analogous, but as someone with the unpopular opinion (on
rpd*) that cropping and docking is almost always unnecessary and usually
done for cosmetic reasons (just like human circumcision), I'm interested to
see if any challenges to the statute deal with the comparison he alluded
to.

Cate
Old February 10th 05, 12:21 AM
Lee DeRaud

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 18:59:54 GMT, Natalie Rigertas
wrote:

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Tee wrote:
cross-posted

The new law, which was scheduled for debate before the West Hollywood City
Council on Monday, would also ban other nontherapeutic or cosmetic surgeries
on animals.

The law did go through, unfortunately.

shrug Consensus here is that it's totally unenforceable, not to
mention that the law as written violates state law that preempts it.

Lee
Old February 10th 05, 12:24 AM
Natalie Rigertas

In rec.pets.dogs.breeds Natalie Rigertas wrote:

The law did go through, unfortunately.

I should amend this. My first source wasn't as clear as the
following one. Rather, it went through the first step before being
voted on being a law. Something like that. It's not completely set in
stone yet, there's a slight chance it might not get approved.

--

natlaie

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 10th 05, 09:32 AM
White Monkey

Personally, I'm proud it's illegal where I live. Please, no flames--we all
have our own opinions. Meanwhile, though, to answer one poster's
question--here in the Netherlands, it is not illegal to own a dog that has
been cropped; people come from all over with their dogs and such a ban would
just be stupid. It is, however, against the law for non-medically-necessary
crops to be performed by vets or private parties here within the country.
Does this result in people who for whatever personal reason just *have* to
have the ears and tail cut off/up traveling long distances or subjecting the
dogs to long-distance travel in the care of strangers just to have it done?
Sure. But it doesn't give them any advantage in shows here--with cropping
illegal in so much of Europe, of course showing natural is just fine. Here's
a picture of my pup's father, the Dutch Grand Champion Dane (at least as of
last April; I don't follow the shows so maybe this has changed):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~cooper17/katrina/Saskia/Saskia'sDad.jpg Personally, I
like this look a lot better that artificially sharp ears that have been
trained to stand up. And personally, I like being greeted by a boxer or
rottweiler with a happily wagging tail. But again, please no flames--that's
just how I feel about it.
--Katrina

Old February 10th 05, 11:12 AM
Diana

"White Monkey" wrote in message
[..]

.. And personally, I like being greeted by a boxer or
rottweiler with a happily wagging tail. But again, please no
flames--that's
just how I feel about it.
--Katrina

Ear cropping has been illegal in the UK for a very long time, but tails are
all up in the air atm as the debate on whether it is advantageous for
'working dogs' to be docked continues.

In the meantime though, more and more people are asking for tails and I now
see more natural tail poodles and cocker spaniels than I do docked. Weims
are another breed where tails are becoming more popular on but I've yet to
see a tailed boxer, rottie or dobie.... I can't wait

Diana & Cindy

--
Cindy's web site
http://cindy-incidentally.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Old February 10th 05, 11:19 AM
Leah Roberts

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:48:58 -0500, elegy
wrote:

don't get me wrong- i am very much against cropping, but come on.
there are eleventy billion more important issues facing animals in
this country than whether or not their owner elects cosmetic surgery.

That's how I feel, too. I'd prefer to see dogs with their natural
ears and tails, unless there is a medical reason to crop them. But
you gotta pick your battles. :} If someone wants their pit bull to
have cropped ears (which appears to be losing popularity big time
around here - yay!), but you train him, care for him, and let him
sleep in your bed, well... who cares, really?

--
Leah Roberts, Family Dog Trainer
It's A Dog's World
Old February 10th 05, 04:06 PM
ceb

"White Monkey" wrote in news:420b1c54$0$28988
:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~cooper17/katrina/Saskia/Saskia'sDad.jpg

He's a handsome fella!

--Catherine