Dog whinning on walk

Old February 11th 05, 04:58 PM
Daniel

Default Dog whinning on walk

Karma, our three month old Golden Retriever puppy, sometimes whines
during our walks. Usually it is at the beginning of the walk. Is this
because she does not want to go? Should I force her or give in and go
back home?

Some of Karma's reactions.

- When she starts to whine and sit during the walk and I start jumping
or hopping around she runs towards me and if I continue running follows
happily. I don't jog with her - just some light running/skipping for a
few meters in the street. It's a good way to get her momentum going
when she sits and doesn't want to go on.
- If I force her to continue walking she does, but continues her
routine of whinning/sitting at times
- Usually a little farther into the walk she stops whinning and walks
without any problems.
- I haven't noticed her whinning out of excitement, only barking and/or
a kind of howl.
- We live in the city so she's pretty used to sounds by this time
although buses do still have an effect on her.

The walks tend to vary anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. On
our latest vet visit he told us that she should be able to walk for an
hour at this point so we've been taking her out more. Usually she
whines at the beginning, but then stops as we get further along. And on
the way back she's totally quiet and anxious to come home. I don't walk
especially fast, I guess a normal pace. I usually slow down/speed up
according to her pace. I definitely stop plenty on the way to let her
sniff around and explore the surroundings.

Overall, this problem is just a bit of a pain in my a*s. I don't think
there is actually a problem with Karma or anything like that. I think
that sometimes she's just not in the mood to go for a walk. Just don't
know how to handle it when she whines and/or sits.

Old February 11th 05, 06:55 PM
Janet B

On 11 Feb 2005 07:58:25 -0800, "Daniel" wrote:

Karma, our three month old Golden Retriever puppy, sometimes whines
during our walks. Usually it is at the beginning of the walk. Is this
because she does not want to go? Should I force her or give in and go
back home?

Depends. She may be trying to tell you something.

Some of Karma's reactions.

- When she starts to whine and sit during the walk and I start jumping
or hopping around she runs towards me and if I continue running follows
happily. I don't jog with her - just some light running/skipping for a
few meters in the street. It's a good way to get her momentum going
when she sits and doesn't want to go on.

OK - make it happy is good.

- If I force her to continue walking she does, but continues her
routine of whinning/sitting at times

Where are you walking?

- Usually a little farther into the walk she stops whinning and walks
without any problems.

She's resigned herself.

- I haven't noticed her whinning out of excitement, only barking and/or
a kind of howl.

Goldens are usually relatively silent critters.

- We live in the city so she's pretty used to sounds by this time
although buses do still have an effect on her.

Keep exposing her with praise for not reacting poorly.

The walks tend to vary anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or so. On
our latest vet visit he told us that she should be able to walk for an
hour at this point so we've been taking her out more.

An hour walking is a long time for a 3 month old. An hour playing is
a lot! At 3 months, you shouldn't be letting her little paws touch
the ground where unknown dogs have been, a real lot anyway, so
consider that. Especially in cities, I'm pretty cautious about where
I expose a 3 month old pups immune system.

Overall, this problem is just a bit of a pain in my a*s. I don't think
there is actually a problem with Karma or anything like that. I think
that sometimes she's just not in the mood to go for a walk. Just don't
know how to handle it when she whines and/or sits.

She's a BABY. She needs play sessions, socialization in safe places,
training. Long walks are not a great idea at this point. Keep them
short and focus on other things right now. Are you in a puppy class?

--
Janet B