eating habbits

Old February 14th 05, 02:08 PM

Default eating habbits

When my first dog(rottie) wouldn't eat in the morning I thought he was
just weird and accepted that he only wanted to eat in the evenings. No
big deal to me as he ate well at dinner and had no problem staying at a
normal weight. Now, my new dog, a mutt - most likely a APBT mixed with
a larger breed of some kind, is doing the same thing. Refuses to eat in
the morning just like the rottie did. Other dogs I know of various
breeds will eat when ever food is made available to them. My sisters
labs I swear can tell time because they will remind you within 5
minutes of meal time if you are late.

Is there something I could be doing to make this happen? Anyone else
have dogs that only want to eat once a day? Agaain, I'm not worried
because he eats very well at his evening meal and is actually putting
on weight, which is intended as he was a rescue and underweight when we
got him. I am just curious why dogs in my house won't eat breakfast.

Alan

Old February 15th 05, 01:05 AM
SerafinaDllRose

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there something I could be doing to make this happen? Anyone else
have dogs that only want to eat once a day? Agaain, I'm not worried
because he eats very well at his evening meal and is actually putting
on weight, which is intended as he was a rescue and underweight when we
got him. I am just curious why dogs in my house won't eat breakfast.

My dog will eat whenever I eat and some of what I eat, too! I don't eat
breakfast, he doesn't either. I snack, he snacks - he's my little shadow.
Like you said, he's doing well so no worries, right?

Carol

Old February 15th 05, 08:31 AM
culprit

wrote in message
oups.com...
When my first dog(rottie) wouldn't eat in the morning I thought he was
just weird and accepted that he only wanted to eat in the evenings. No
big deal to me as he ate well at dinner and had no problem staying at a
normal weight. Now, my new dog, a mutt - most likely a APBT mixed with
a larger breed of some kind, is doing the same thing. Refuses to eat in
the morning just like the rottie did. Other dogs I know of various
breeds will eat when ever food is made available to them. My sisters
labs I swear can tell time because they will remind you within 5
minutes of meal time if you are late.

it's possible that your new dog is not eating because your Rottie isn't
eating. the new dog may not want to rock the boat in his new pack by eating
when the established dog is not. he may start eating twice a day as he
becomes integrated into the pack, or he may not.

IMO, if the dogs are healthy, i wouldn't worry too much about it. in fact,
some folks would say you're lucky your dogs aren't so obsessed with food as
to wake you up in the morning!

-kelly

Old February 15th 05, 01:50 PM

Sorry, I wasnt very clear in this but the new dog is replacing the
rottie. We lost Rufus to a brain tumor in December. The new dog never
met the old dog.

Your are right, my sister is sooooo jealous that my dog sleeps in with
us when we can. Hers wake her up early to be fed. And as you said, he
is healthy and seemingly very happy so no worries, just curiousity.

Alan

Old February 16th 05, 08:24 AM
R Meyer

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

My dog gets food twice a day. Early in the morning and late-ish in the
evening. I don't have any fixed schedule, I just fill his bowl with a
pre-made meat mix (a "BARF Lite" ground, raw meat/fish/tripe mix that I buy
from a place that makes sled dog food). He also gets whole chickens, salmon
heads, ox tails, lamb ribs, and whatever other raw meaty bones I come across
that's cheap.

I don't feed a fixed amount, either. He'll sometimes get a huge meal that
sates him for an entire day, and sometimes just enough to keep him going
till the next meal. It depends on what I have thawed. Sometimes he'll eat it
all, sometimes he'll just taste it and leave it until later. I sometimes
leave it available for him, and sometimes take it away to put it in a cool
place. There's no set routine here either.

But - I've noticed that he will eat more readily in the evening than in the
morning (unless he didn't get his fill the evening before). This happens
pretty consistently. So maybe we're seing a pattern here? I dunno. I'd
rather have him eat larger breakfasts, as it seems that's a better way of
keeping his energy level up all day. But he'll obviously rather have his
main meal in the evening.

BTW, this is a dog that will not put on weight no matter how much food I
offer him. He eats until he's satisfied, then leave whatever's left. Doesn't
matter what I feed him. I guess I'd see a whole different eating behaviour
if he was the kind of dog who'll always finish what's put in front of him.
:-)

Rox