Dogs and rabbits - yikes!

Old February 14th 05, 03:08 PM
flick

Default Dogs and rabbits - yikes!

We have added 2 Flemish giant bunnies; the offspring will be for the table.
For now, they're in a giant-dog-sized wire crate in DD's bedroom. Crate has
the top off for ease of care. Dogs are not allowed in the room, doors kept
shut.

We took in a stray (going to new home soon) who can open doorknobs. Not
knowing this, one day I came home and 3 big dogs were in the bedroom, and
only one rabbit was still in the crate.

Got the dogs out, sat on the bed, and out from under hopped Ms. Bunny,
unharmed.

I bought a hook for the door ;-).

flick 100785

Old February 14th 05, 03:15 PM
Janet B

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:08:33 -0600, "flick"
wrote:

the offspring will be for the table.

have to admit that I could not raise my own food! Friends have a
bunny that they let hop around freely, with 2 cats and a dog (well,
not at the moment, dear Rose left the earth for the bridge on Saturday
- 18.5 years old. Pretty damn great for a lab mix!). No skirmishes.

--
Janet B
Old February 14th 05, 03:25 PM
Alison

"Janet B" wrote in message

have to admit that I could not raise my own food! Friends have a
bunny that they let hop around freely, with 2 cats and a dog (well,
not at the moment, dear Rose left the earth for the bridge on

Saturday
- 18.5 years old. Pretty damn great for a lab mix!). No

skirmishes.

Sorry about Rose( That's a good age to live too but no matter
what age they leave us, it still hurst like hell.
Alison

Old February 14th 05, 03:27 PM
Janet B

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:25:46 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

Sorry about Rose( That's a good age to live too but no matter
what age they leave us, it still hurst like hell.
Alison

Yeah. I've never known these friends w/out her, and they got her
(from under a truck) the first week they lived here. She was ~8
months old and pregnant. Lucky dog to have had such a long and loved
life.

--
Janet B
Old February 14th 05, 03:34 PM
Alison

"flick" wrote in message
We have added 2 Flemish giant bunnies; the offspring will be for the

table.
For now, they're in a giant-dog-sized wire crate in DD's bedroom.

Crate has
the top off for ease of care. Dogs are not allowed in the room,

doors kept
shut.

I couldn't do this, rabbits have such character. I love watching my
two, Sabrina and Troy playing with Dibby the dog . Rabbits have
feelings too . They sit next to each other and wash each others faces.
They're also very clean and use litter trays like cats do.
What sort of set up will you have for them. They'll need a bigger
than average cage and run than ordinary sized buns.
Alison

Old February 14th 05, 04:04 PM
Leah Roberts

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:34:25 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

I couldn't do this, rabbits have such character. I love watching my
two, Sabrina and Troy playing with Dibby the dog .

I had a student whose dogs always got along well with her rabbits.
One day one of the rabbits started to run, and the dogs attacked and
killed it.

Very tricky, keeping dogs and rabbits together.

--
Leah Roberts, Family Dog Trainer
It's A Dog's World
Old February 14th 05, 04:10 PM
Alison

"Janet B" wrote in message

Yeah. I've never known these friends w/out her, and they got her
(from under a truck) the first week they lived here. She was ~8
months old and pregnant. Lucky dog to have had such a long and

loved
life.

Do you think they'll get another dog ? I was much more careful about
chosing dog this time round . I had to wait a while but Dibby was
perfect.
Alison

Old February 14th 05, 04:16 PM
Alison

"Leah Roberts" wrote in message
I had a student whose dogs always got along well with her rabbits.

One day one of the rabbits started to run, and the dogs attacked and
killed it.

Very tricky, keeping dogs and rabbits together.

Yes it can be but Dibby is about the same size as the bunnies and has
vitually no prey drive.
I've got a few photos of the buns and one with Dibby in it.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2283697A

Alison

Old February 14th 05, 06:18 PM
Sionnach

"Janet B" wrote:

have to admit that I could not raise my own food!

I couldn't do it with rabbits... remains to be seen as pertains to cattle
(and possibly chickens), since Bob is thinking about going back to raising a
steer or two every year. G

Friends have a
bunny that they let hop around freely,

In the days when I had kept small-animal pets, I had house rabbits who not
only were not molested by the cats and dog, but played with them - despite
the fact that the dog was an efficient hunter and killer of wild rabbits.
Not a chance I'm sure I'd take with my current crew, although it's pretty
much a moot point anyhoo...

Old February 14th 05, 06:34 PM
Leah Roberts

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:16:36 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

Yes it can be but Dibby is about the same size as the bunnies and has
vitually no prey drive.

This rabbit was killed by a couple of bichons.