Humane way to euthanize dog

Old February 15th 05, 09:20 PM

Default Humane way to euthanize dog

Hello, I have a 7.5 year old Boxer that has Lymphoma. He's apparently
stopped responding to the Prednisone - he's stopped eating and doesn't
want to go for walks. He seems miserable. I think he is not going to
improve and ultimately he is in for suffering.

I've decided to not pursue chemo and the vets told me it's probably
inoperable. If I can't get him back on his feet I just want to end his
life peacefully.

He's been my best friend since he was a puppy and I love him. I just
want to give him a pill or a shot and have him fall asleep and not wake
up.

Is there a way for me to do this for him? Or do I have to go to the
vet/shelter and have them do it.

mike.

Old February 15th 05, 09:37 PM
Rocky

Mike said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Is there a way for me to do this for him? Or do I have to
go to the vet/shelter and have them do it.

My preference is for the vet to come to my home to euthanise my
dogs.

Old February 15th 05, 11:45 PM
Tee

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello, I have a 7.5 year old Boxer that has Lymphoma. He's apparently
stopped responding to the Prednisone - he's stopped eating and doesn't
want to go for walks. He seems miserable. I think he is not going to
improve and ultimately he is in for suffering.

I've decided to not pursue chemo and the vets told me it's probably
inoperable. If I can't get him back on his feet I just want to end his
life peacefully.

He's been my best friend since he was a puppy and I love him. I just
want to give him a pill or a shot and have him fall asleep and not wake
up.

Is there a way for me to do this for him? Or do I have to go to the
vet/shelter and have them do it.

I'm sorry to hear of the lymphoma. If your vet won't come to your home you
can probably make an appointment to go there just before or just after
office hours so you are not facing strangers at such a terrible time.
Another consideration would be how you want to dispose of your dog after
euthanasia. Vet's can do this for you, you can choose to bury him in your
yard, your vet can offer cremation services as well.

--
Tara

Old February 16th 05, 02:07 AM

Tee wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the replies. I'll call the vet if the time comes.

-Mike

Old February 16th 05, 05:28 AM
B. Peg

Mike, we went through this a few months ago. At that time, you probably
will not be in the right frame of mind and make rational decisions. Our vet
handed us a bill for $1003 that day. It was payable then (Visa or cash) and
before the ethuansia. His clerk gave it to us while he was all hooked up to
the IV drip which made it difficult to refuse the charge and take him
elsewhere (I believe this is orchestrated so he will get paid).

The charges were ludicrious and bordering on obscene as a friend said
afterwards. The cremation box (i.e. a cedar wooden jewlery box) that I have
since seen in gift shops for $8 was $250. Cremation itself another $250
(and I found out that the remains may not be your own dog as they do
multiple animals at once). A "Private Ceremony" charge of $250 (for you
witnessing the event I guess??). IV charges, needle, bandages, and line for
the drip $50. Euthanasia drape ( a terry towel) $25. Doctor charges,
transportation, handling, etc. made up the remainder. This was in Southern
California if it matters.

Personally, I'd check beforehand what the bill will be and make it known
that you will go elsewhere if needed. Having also gone through this with a
friend's Sheltie at another vet and witnessed her charges (her's was a bit
less, but not by much) and I have lost my respect for vets (I prefer the
word "extortionists"). If you've ever followed my posts in the past I
believe they will take advantage of you if they can. I don't trust their
advice as when ours said Greenies were okay with CRF (Chronic Renal Failure)
and finding they are not as they are mostly pure protein (~52%). While at
my friend's vet I did note that the software they were using was very
similar to mine and it seems to escalate the charges rapidly (some crude
blue screen DOS looking software with white or yellow fonts).

We now remain petless as we cannot afford their outragous charges any
longer. We have been called from his office wanting us to adopt another
animal. Gee. I wonder why?

B~

Old February 16th 05, 06:05 AM
Tee

"B. Peg" wrote in message
Mike, we went through this a few months ago. At that time, you probably
will not be in the right frame of mind and make rational decisions. Our
vet handed us a bill for $1003 that day. It was payable then (Visa or
cash) and before the ethuansia. His clerk gave it to us while he was all
hooked up to the IV drip which made it difficult to refuse the charge and
take him elsewhere (I believe this is orchestrated so he will get paid).

That's disreputable & unprofessional in the extreme. I can understand
charging for the cost of the injection and that of disposal, should the vet
be asked to handle disposal, but it does *not* cost that much. My vet
doesn't charge a penny for euthanasias or disposals for dogs who've been to
him at least once in its life. I just had my 11yo Min. Dachshund put to
sleep while in a traumatic spell that we couldn't resolve. It was a matter
of ending her struggle but I wasn't charged and my vet let me in before any
of his staff got there, before he'd even had his coffee, and helped me do
what needed to be done. I wouldn't trade him for any other vet in the
world.

--
Tara

Old February 16th 05, 07:38 AM
Sharon too

Personally, I'd check beforehand what the bill will be and make it known
that you will go elsewhere if needed. Having also gone through this with
a friend's Sheltie at another vet and witnessed her charges (her's was a
bit less, but not by much) and I have lost my respect for vets (I prefer
the word "extortionists").

The advice to ask for estimates should certainly be heeded. At our practice
it is not uncommon for people to call and ask, never something to be
embarrassed about. As always, when asking for estimates, ask what the
charges include.

It disturbs me that you had such an awful experience. The death of a pet
member of the family is hard enough without having to go through what you
did. But please don't paint those of us who dedicate our lives to veterinary
medicine and the pets in our comunities in the same light. I truly say this
with a heavy heart because of your personal experience. We will euthanize at
home or at the office. Offer the services of a wonderful pet cemetery near
by who picks up the deceased at the office and who also offer a wide variety
of services. We also have one room used only for consults and euthanasias
that has a very large and soft bed on the floor for the dog, or big pillow
for smaller pets so people can have them on their laps in a comfortable hug.
The room has very soothing colors and a private exit so that clients can
stay with their pet for as long as they like and leave without having to
parade their emotions through a waiting room. Many vets offer these types of
services and when pet owner shop for vets they should ask what they have
available for the family when the end of the pet's life comes.

To euthanize, for instance, a medium sized dog and send it for cremation
with ashes returned to the owner is somehwere in the ballpark $75-$100 at
our practice. (I say ballpark because although I manage the practice, I
don't handle the charges out front.) Depending on costs related to burial or
cremation I'm sure the charges vary from place to place. There are other
variables as well, and should be discussed ahead of time if there is a poor
prognosis.

I hope that the OP finds comfort here from those who have had beloved pets
in the same situation. Our own 14 year old dog was diagnosed almost a year
ago with Lymphoma and we have been talking about "that time" as well.

-Sharon

Old February 16th 05, 11:51 AM
Spot

If you ask your vet they may make a house call if not do you have mobile vet
in the area that you can call. It's best if you let the vet do this. It's
quick and painless and the right choice when it comes to this. I just had
have Barney put to sleep for cancer just a month ago. I would have
preferred to have the vet do this at home but he collapsed one Saturday
morning and we had to rush him in for internal bleeding and we had to have
him put to sleep right then.

It's a hard thing to do but for the best.

Celeste

ups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 07:24 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:27:18 -0500, Suja wrote:

Euthanasia - $64.00, Add $65.00 for home euth

Group Cremation - $ 53.00

Private Cremation - $257.00

Our county ordinances do not allow us to dispose of the pets' remains
ourselves. It must be done either by the vet or the pet cemetary.

Holy cow! I have never paid for euthanasia (in office) or group
cremation. My vets have done this gratis. I haven't paid for private
cremation either, as the shelter I work with has just done it for me,
but our fees are much less than that, and based on weight of animal.
I know that a dog in the 50# range is $90, and I believe larger than
that is either $100 or $110.

--
Janet B