pug prices and tips for evaluating 'breeders'

Old February 18th 05, 02:41 PM
braindead

Default pug prices and tips for evaluating 'breeders'

It seems that in this area at least (northeast Ohio), the classifieds are
flooded with people trying to sell pug puppies.. anywhere from $350-$600
most state AKC (as I understand it that's pretty meaningless really).

I'm just looking for a 'family pet', I'm of course watching the shelters
and rescue organizations but not having much luck.

What would you expect to pay for quality female pug puppy? What about if
it doesn't meet he standard?

tia
Old February 18th 05, 06:12 PM

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:41:10 GMT braindead whittled these words:
It seems that in this area at least (northeast Ohio), the classifieds are
flooded with people trying to sell pug puppies.. anywhere from $350-$600
most state AKC (as I understand it that's pretty meaningless really).

I'm just looking for a 'family pet', I'm of course watching the shelters
and rescue organizations but not having much luck.

What would you expect to pay for quality female pug puppy? What about if
it doesn't meet he standard?

I really wouldbn't pay much attention to whether i meets standard. And
while we all have budgets be careful about false economy. The less
expensive the dog is to purchse the more likely it is that the breeder has
done little or nothing to prevent crippling genetic dissease. The reverse
isn't true. Expensive does not mean well bred. It might, or it could
mean greedy. While the general run of pug breeders are pretty careless
about breed health it *is* possible to find knowledgable and caring
breeders in the breed.

STep one is to figure out how you identify such breeders. Check out the
pug links on
http://dog-play.com/health.html and
htp://dog-play.com/coe.html
Fortunately it is one breed that has some pretty dedicated people putting
up good informational web pages. It is sad these don't represent the
majority of pug breeders, but you have to start somewhere in educating
breeders as well as buyers. When buyers start demanding more of their
breeders, the breeders will learn.

Actually anyone thinking of a puppy of any breeed would do well to check
out those Pug links because the general principles apply.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old February 18th 05, 06:22 PM
braindead

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:12:11 +0000, TOTE wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 14:41:10 GMT braindead whittled these words:
It seems that in this area at least (northeast Ohio), the classifieds are
flooded with people trying to sell pug puppies.. anywhere from $350-$600
most state AKC (as I understand it that's pretty meaningless really).

snip

STep one is to figure out how you identify such breeders. Check out the
pug links on
http://dog-play.com/health.html and
htp://dog-play.com/coe.html
Fortunately it is one breed that has some pretty dedicated people putting
up good informational web pages. It is sad these don't represent the
majority of pug breeders, but you have to start somewhere in educating
breeders as well as buyers. When buyers start demanding more of their
breeders, the breeders will learn.

Thanks for the links, it really bothers me to see the number of so-called
'breeders' selling pugs in local papers.. when I check the Pug Dog Club of
America for associated breeders.. there are 0 in my area (one about 50
miles away).

Old February 18th 05, 09:15 PM
KWBrown

braindead wrote in
newsan.2005.02.18.18.27.05.852205@_no_spam_poxod d.com:

Thanks for the links, it really bothers me to see the number of
so-called 'breeders' selling pugs in local papers.. when I check the
Pug Dog Club of America for associated breeders.. there are 0 in my
area (one about 50 miles away).

Don't get too hung up in distance: It's better to find a breeder who
really is working on the health issues in the breed and ship the pup.
Airfare for the dog is a drop in the bucket when compared to the many other
bills the dog will incur over its lifetime.

--
Kate
and Storm the FCR
Old February 18th 05, 09:42 PM
braindead

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:15:53 +0000, KWBrown wrote:

braindead wrote in
newsan.2005.02.18.18.27.05.852205@_no_spam_poxod d.com:

Thanks for the links, it really bothers me to see the number of
so-called 'breeders' selling pugs in local papers.. when I check the
Pug Dog Club of America for associated breeders.. there are 0 in my
area (one about 50 miles away).

Don't get too hung up in distance: It's better to find a breeder who
really is working on the health issues in the breed and ship the pup.
Airfare for the dog is a drop in the bucket when compared to the many other
bills the dog will incur over its lifetime.

True.. I've already contacted the nearest breeder.. As I'm only looking
for a pet, I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a while.

Thanksl.
Old February 20th 05, 11:12 PM
Jon

http://www.pugrescuenetwork.com/
http://www.ohiopugrescue.com/

Old February 21st 05, 12:21 AM
Tee

"braindead" wrote in message
newsan.2005.02.18.21.51.57.941581@_no_spam_poxod d.com...

True.. I've already contacted the nearest breeder.. As I'm only looking
for a pet, I have a feeling I'll be waiting for a while.

Actually you'd probably have a longer wait if you were looking for a show
dog from this breeder. The reason being that the majority of puppies in a
litter aren't considered good show potential by the age of 8 weeks, at least
in alot of breeds. Pugs may be different in this regard, I don't know for
certain, but if not then the breeder is more apt to have more puppies
available to pet homes than to show homes.

--
Tara

Old February 21st 05, 06:31 PM
Darby Wiggins

Unfortunately, due to some circumstances not in my control, I totally missed
the show! ARGH!!! I was so prepared!...well, except for the whole light rail
discovery... I was sitting in my office 2 hours after I was suppose to leave
work trying to map it out.

However, I did get the logistics down and some good ideas...thanks to those
that responded. It looks like there are some shows coming up in the not to
distant future that I will attend. Maybe this time, I can put word out a bit
sooner and find a companion...turns out one of the volunteers with my ESS
rescue helps with the shows.

I'm dissapointed...but, thanks for all of your help...I'll get to a show
soon.
Darby

Old February 21st 05, 11:03 PM
Janet B

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:31:42 -0500, Darby Wiggins
wrote:

Unfortunately, due to some circumstances not in my control, I totally missed
the show! ARGH!!! I was so prepared!...well, except for the whole light rail
discovery... I was sitting in my office 2 hours after I was suppose to leave
work trying to map it out.

However, I did get the logistics down and some good ideas...thanks to those
that responded. It looks like there are some shows coming up in the not to
distant future that I will attend. Maybe this time, I can put word out a bit
sooner and find a companion...turns out one of the volunteers with my ESS
rescue helps with the shows.

I'm dissapointed...but, thanks for all of your help...I'll get to a show
soon.

There's a cluster at Howard County Fairgrounds the last weekend in
March (Easter weekend - 25/26/27). No breed on the 25th as far as I
know. It's off route 70 near route 32.

--
Janet B