Image in Yukon Quest

Old February 20th 05, 06:33 PM

Default Image in Yukon Quest

[]
Not really, but wow, does this look like her, down to the
big ears and long pointy snoot:
http://www.yukonquest.com/servlet/vi...o?photoId=1690 .
I bet that dog's not quite as evil.

On Friday I took the dogs up to Connecticut Hill to do some
sledding. We'd gone a couple of miles and I was getting
kind of cold (it was about 10F), so I stopped the team to
zip up my parka. I was standing with one foot on the brake
and the other on the ground, instead of on the runner, and
Image suddenly pulled the dogs forward and took off, leaving
me standing there. I took off after them but they cruise
along at about 12mph, and, well, I don't. I kept calling
them and Emmett kept looking back but the others just forged
on ahead and I watched them disappear down the forest
service road.

I know my way around up there pretty well and I knew that it
was a very long downhill that ended in a T, where going to
the left will take you onto real roads and towards some
farms and turning to the right will take you even further
downhill to a gnarly creek crossing inhabited by a lot of
deer and other wildlife. I followed their tracks for
several miles, which gave me plenty of time to construct all
sorts of terrible scenarios. (And Carhartt "Arctic" bibs?
More like "Pennsylvania"). So I was going further and
further down the hill and getting more and more upset about
what might be happening to the dogs. I finally reached the
last descent to the T and as I came over a little crest I
saw the dogs stretched out in the snow right there, watching
me walk down the hill. No injuries, no tangles. I have
never, ever been that relieved about anything.

I turned them around and we had to head back up the hill.
On the way up we were passed by a couple of snowmobiles. I
don't know what they would have done if they'd found the
dogs; I'd hope they'd snub them to a tree and go look for
their human, but you never know. We finally made it back to
the truck as the sun was starting to set, and I have never
seen such exhausted dogs.

They say you're not really a musher until you've lost your
team, but I don't feel like a musher, I feel like an idiot.
(A grateful idiot.)

All you need to know about Social Security "reform": Your
in-laws are going to have to live with you