Killfile?

Old February 22nd 05, 06:24 PM
Lynda

Default Killfile?

I enjoy this newsgroup and get positive information a lot of the time
but recently it seems everytime I write something the Puppy Wizard or
similar (probably one and the same) write back with a load of rubbish
about how I abuse my dog.

Whilst I don't take this too personally - given I wouldn't hurt a fly
- how do I "killfile" - I think that's the expression.

Many thanks,

Lynda
Old February 22nd 05, 07:18 PM
Lee DeRaud

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:24:16 GMT, Lynda wrote:

I enjoy this newsgroup and get positive information a lot of the time
but recently it seems everytime I write something the Puppy Wizard or
similar (probably one and the same) write back with a load of rubbish
about how I abuse my dog.

Whilst I don't take this too personally - given I wouldn't hurt a fly
- how do I "killfile" - I think that's the expression.

If I'm reading that header correctly, you're using Agent: it calls
them 'filters'. It's under the 'Message' menu, and there's a pretty
good explanation if you select 'filters' from the help index.

Lee
Old February 22nd 05, 07:20 PM
It's Only Alimentary, Dear Watson

BWEEEEEEEEEAAAHAHAHAHHAHAAA!!!

Who told you to surgically sexually mutilate your dog?

From the Cangen list, reposted with permission. This is not an
argument
against neutering, but rather information about the effects of altering

animals. Owners should make informed decisions based on actual
information, not on fuzzy science.

************
There are a number of adverse health problems that have been linked to
spay/neuter in dogs, and are documented in the veterinary research
medical
literature. One will not find any mention of these adverse impacts in
the
pro-spay/neuter propaganda that commonly comes from breed rescue
groups,
animal rights groups, animal welfare groups, and (sadly) veterinary
medical
resources aimed at the layman.

Contrary to the common claim, the risk of prostate cancer in dogs is
not
reduced with neutering. Some published studies showed an increased
risk of
prostate cancer in neutered male dogs [1-3]. Two of the most recent
studies show a 4 fold increased risk of prostate cancer in castrated
dogs
[2,3].

The risk of osteosarcoma, a bone cancer with a far worse prognosis than

testicular cancer, doubles with spay/neuter in dogs [4]. Neutering in
the
first year of a dog's life was found to be associated with an increased

lifetime risk of osteosarcoma in male and female Rotties of a factor of
3-4
[5]. [Rotties were the only breed examined in this depth, the increased

risk with spay/neuter likely affects other breeds too]

Spay/Neuter in dogs is also associated with a 3-4 fold increased risk
of
hypothyroidism [6], a doubled risk of obesity [7], as well as an
increased
risk of splenic [8] and cardiac hemangiosarcomas [9], diabetes (in
males)
[10], fatal acute pancreatitis (in females) [11], cranial cruciate
ligament
rupture [12], urinary incontinence [13,14], and geriatric cognitive
impairment (in males) [15]. These are all documented in the veterinary

medical research literature.

[1] J Vet Intern Med. 1987 Oct-Dec;1(4):183-7. The influence of
castration on the development of prostatic carcinoma in the dog. 43
cases (1978-1985). Obradovich J, Walshaw R, Goullaud E.

[2] Vet Comparative Oncology. 2003 Mar; 1(1):48. Immunohistochemical
characterization of canine prostatic carcinoma and correlation with
castration status and castration time. Sorenmo K, Goldschmidt M,
Shofer
F, Goldkamp C, Ferracone J

[3] Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2002 Nov 29;197(1-2):251-5. Canine prostate
carcinoma: epidemiological evidence of an increased risk in castrated
dogs. Teske E, Naan EC, van Dijk EM, Van Garderen E, Schalken JA.

[4] Vet J. 1998 Jul;156(1):31-9. Host related risk factors for canine
osteosarcoma. Ru G, Terracini B, Glickman LT.

[5] Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2002 Nov;11(11):1434-40.
Endogenous gonadal hormone exposure and bone sarcoma risk. Cooley DM,
Beranek BC, Schlittler DL, Glickman NW, Glickman LT, Waters DJ.

[6] J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1994 Mar 1;204(5):761-7 Hypothyroidism in dogs:

66 cases (1987-1992). Panciera DL.

[7] Vet Rec. 1986 Apr 5;118(14):391-6 Study of obesity in dogs
visiting
veterinary practices in the United Kingdom. Edney AT, Smith PM.

[8] J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1988 Sep 15;193(6):706-12. Epidemiologic,
clinical, pathologic, and prognostic characteristics of splenic
hemangiosarcoma and splenic hematoma in dogs: 217 cases (1985). Prymak
C, McKee LJ, Goldschmidt MH, Glickman LT.

[9] J Vet Intern Med. 1999 Mar-Apr;13(2):95-103. Cardiac tumors in
dogs: 1982-1995. Ware WA, Hopper DL.

[10] Am J Vet Res. 1982 Mar;43(3):465-70. Epizootiologic patterns of
diabetes mellitus in dogs. Marmor M, Willeberg P, Glickman LT, Priester

WA, Cypess RH, Hurvitz AI.

[11] J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1999 Jan 1;214(1):46-51. Evaluation of risk
factors for fatal acute pancreatitis in dogs. Hess RS, Kass PH, Shofer
FS, Van Winkle TJ, Washabau RJ.

[12] J Am Vet Med Assoc. 1993 Oct 1;203(7):1016-9. Epidemiology of
cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs. Whitehair JG, Vasseur PB,
Willits NH.

[13] J Small Anim Pract. 1998 Dec;39(12):559-66. Acquired urinary
incontinence in bitches: its incidence and relationship to neutering
practices. Thrusfield MV, Holt PE, Muirhead RH.

[14] J Reprod Fertil Suppl. 2001;57:233-6. The relationship of urinary
incontinence to early spaying in bitches. Stocklin-Gautschi NM, Hassig
M, Reichler IM, Hubler M, Arnold S.

[15] J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2001 Jul 1;219(1):51-6. Effect of gonadectomy
on subsequent development of age-related cognitive impairment in dogs.
Hart BL.

The Amazing Puppy Wizard
Feb 6, 3:18 pm

Subject: Neutering

HOWEDY trog,

You can't RATIONALIZE your FICTION enough
to make a multitude of WRONGS, RIGHT, no
matter HOWE much EMOTION FEAR GUILT and
MYTH you ply on top of the nonexistent
FACTS you punks fabricate in an effort to
support and defend your innate inability
to HOWEtwit the cunning of the domestic
puppy dog or to think of anything other
than yourselves.

There's NO RISK to those puppies so long
as HOWER DOG LOVERS DON'T MURDER THEM:

"I'll bet you don't know a thing about me.
I volunteered as assistant to the euthanasia
tech at our local shelter for a while, and I
know a bit about overpopulation and unwanted
animals.

This however has nothing at all to do with
responsible breeders, because responsible
breeders don't contribute to that problem,"
Mustang Sally.

I'll be you've never had to put down litters of
beautiful labrador puppies? If you had did, maybe
you'd be singing a different tune?

"Actually, have held them for the tech to euth, and
put their bodies in the trash bag and in the freezer
for the trash company to come and dispose of.

No different tune," ~Emily

WE GOT PLENTY MOORE
WHERE THAT
CAME FROM:

"BethF" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright"

wrote in message

Kyle, FWIW, i thought it was pretty funny,
and i often call my little dog the turd, because
he is one. Some folks think its HORRRIBLE i
would insult my dog like that so i guess its just a
matter of personality.

Kyle, the best way to teach him to stay away is to
step on him once. Seriously.

"Hold Back The Dobie Girl So That Izzy Can
Put Simon In His Place," BINACA bethFIST.

"Beth F" wrote in message:

"Whatever motivates the dog, but I daresay most of the dogs
I have in classes just aren't that interested in praise."

Leah Effexor for chronic depression, in denial
about being mentally ill. Has taken
several other mentally ill medications
before settling on effexor for her chronic
mental problems, recently changed
ANTI PSYCHOTIC medications.

"I don't think Jerry intentionally lies. I think he
twists things around in his own mind until he actually
believes what he's saying."

Jerry is the only poster here who gives dangerous
advice. Google for spike and squirt. And let's
not forget the times he's told posters whose dogs
have medical problems that his halfwits-end
program could cure them.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life

"It was kind of funny, in an absurd way. The rabbit
was completely still, eyes open and glazed, dried
blood in his ears and mouth, with his back legs
stiffening quickly.

I didn't mention that she arrived with a stethoscope
around her neck, and regularly interrupted her hysteria
to check his vitals, give him mouth-to-mouth and chest
compressions.

My student and I kept looking at each other, as in,
"What do we say???" Obviously, "I think he's gone,
honey," wasn't getting through.

It was her pet rabbit, not a wild bunny, so that made
it much harder for her.

And he was killed by bichons."

No leah. He was MURDERED by your SOCIALIZATION
classes and OBEDIENCE trainin bribery and crating.

LIKE THIS:

"Many People Have Problems Getting The Pinch
Right, Either They Do Not Pinch Enough, Or They
Have A Very Stoic Dog. Some Dogs Will Collapse
Into A Heap. About The Ear Pinch: You Must Keep
The Pressure Up," sindy "don't let the dog SCREAM"
mooreon, author of HOWER FAQ's pages on k9 web.

You think HURTING a HUNTING DOG to
MAKE IT HUNT is NECESSARY???

captain arthur haggerty SEZ: "A CHIN CHUCK"
Makes A ResoundingSound Distraction: "When
You Chuck The Dog The Sound Will Travel Up
The Mandible To The Ears And Give A Popping
Sound To The Dog."

"An indelible impression can sometimes be made
by giving the dog a hard spanking of long duration,
then leaving him tied by the mess he's made so you
can come back at twenty minute intervals and punish
him again for the same thing.

In most cases, the dog that deliberately does this
disagreeable thing cannot be made reliable by the
light spanking that some owners seem to think is
adequate punishment.

It will be better for your dog, as well as the house,
if you really pour it on him," wm koehler.

Paxil Princess psychoclown wrote:

"Nope. That "beating dogs with sticks"
things is something you twisted out of
context, because you are full of bizarro
manure."

lying frosty dahl says:

"To me, training a dog without using intimidation,
confrontation, or punishment is, indeed, everything. I
certainly reject "force" as Marilyn defines it. And "fear"
can be included under the category of intimidation.

Not a one of these is constructive in the training
of a dog; all are bad for the dog/handler relationship,
the dog's confidence, the dog's ultimate potential, etc.

But I do make use of tools and methods which I believe to
cause physical discomfort, including electric collars, pinch
collars, chain collars, switches, and the ear pinch.

I just don't equate the reaction with the tool/method--I look
at the dog to know its reaction. I think that is what some
people don't do: they are so full of surmises about what
causes what, that they never bother to regard the dog as
the authority.

I don't beat dogs, twist ears, or pinch toes. For the
benefit of anyone who is in doubt, and who chooses
not to read the article (SHE'D REALLY LIKE IT IF
YOU DON'T READ IT!), there is NO mention in it of
"twisting ears (INDEED, SHE PINCHES THEM WITH
SPIKES).

I would never slap a dog (SHE TEACHES PEOPLE TO
BEAT DOGS WITH STICKS TO MOTIVATE THEM).

I would never advise anyone to slap a dog
(SHE'S A PROVEN LIAR AND DOG ABUSER,
do you expect her to ADMIT THE TRUTH???).

I do not believe there is a single circumstance, ever,
where slapping a dog is anything but destructive."

RIGHT. She PINCHES, not twists... and chin cuff
doesn't mean hit, it means slap. amy lyingfrosty dahl
continues:

"On the other extreme, the really hard dogs we have trained
require much more frequent and heavy application of
pressure (PAIN j.h.) to get the job done,

This is continued resistance to your increasing authority,
and the job is not done until it is overcome

Get a stick 30- or 40-inches long. You can have a
helper wield the stick, or do it yourself. Tougher, less
tractable dogs may require you to progress to striking
them more sharply.

With your hand on the collar and ear, say, 'fetch.'

Immediately tap the dog on the hindquarters with the
stick. Repeat "fetch" and pinch the ear all the way to
the dummy.

Repeat, varying how hard you hit the dog,

Now you are ready to progress to what most
people think of as force-fetching: the ear pinch.

Make the dog's need to stop the pinching so urgent
that resisting your will fades in importance.

but will squeal, thrash around, and direct their
efforts to escaping the ear pinch

You can press the dog's ear with a shotshell
instead of your thumb;

even get a studded collar and pinch the ear against that

Say "fetch" while pressing the dummy
against its lips and pinching its ear.

if the dog still does not open its mouth,
get out the shotshell.

Try pinching the ear between the metal casing
and the collar, even the buckle on the collar.

Persist! Eventually, the dog will give in"

Here's lying frosty dahl BEATING A DOG to TRAIN IT:

Borrowed from: "Puppy Raising Tips" from
professional trainers, John and Amy Dahl.

"Around four months many puppies can withstand a
correction. Unfortunately this is the time they start
teething and if their mouth hurts, they may act
generally sensitive. If this is the case, be patient and
wait for all those baby teeth to fall out.

In training, retrievers often respond to physical correction
better than verbal correction. While "NO!" is extremely
useful if puppy is about to bite an electrical cord or steal
food off the table, when you are teaching them something
(like obedience) a sharp jerk on their lead or swat with a
stick gets the message across with less emotion and less
effect on their confidence.

If they drop the dummy and act like their mouth hurts
when they are teething, stop all retrieving and wait for
their mouth to feel better. A correction should be just
severe enough to get the dog to respond.

Repeated weak corrections are very stressful to the dog."

=====================

Amy Dahl writes:

"From where I sit, there is a difference. I haven't noticed
any of the contingent who like Koehler trying to force
their method on everyone, or calling others names because
they do not use the method.

I personally believe the Koehler method is a more
humane way of teaching than any alternative I have
studied.

And I am not averse to learning--I have studied a
number of methods.

Koehler, of course, stops far short of the specialized
work I do with retrievers, and some of the things in his
book, such as making the dog walk behind the handler
on the "finish," are inappropriate for retriever work.

Why do I think Koehler's method is more humane than others?

First, I don't believe "corrections vs. no corrections" is as
significant to dogs as it is to people. Applied correctly,
Koehler's method uses *no* intimidation, fear, or emotional
manipulation. It is clear and definite, and the handler's
actions are always predictable. The method is masterfully
designed to prevent confrontation or vying for control in
any way. It places high demands of responsibility on the
trainer, and takes a great deal of commitment to do correctly,
so it is not for the casual "dabbler." When done well,very
few corrections are needed.

In brief, I think the clarity, predictability, and absence
of emotional blackmail weigh more strongly in the method's
favor, than the occasional brief unpleasantness of correction
weighs against it." lying frosty dahl.

You want MOORE INSANE?

WE GOT PLENTY!:

MOTHER AND CHILD REUNION

"KUCKOO!! CUCKOO!!!"

MOTHER (LOIS E.) 22 YEARS on TRICYCLICS,
DAUGHTER BIPOLAR...

YOU DO THE MATH

"What's really terrific, is now days you can say proudly,
'I take anti-depressives'"

-------------------------------------

From: Gary & lois Edwards )
Subject: Where is Darlene?
Date: 1999/09/02

BEEN ON TRICYCLICS FOR ABOUT 22 YEARS

"I don't take lithium, but I've been on trycyclics
for about 22 years. Been there, done that, have
the t-shirt to prove it. What's really terrific,
is now days you can say proudly,
"I take anti-depressives". Back when I started
taking them it was seen as something shameful.
If you cut your leg off, and were lying there with
a bleeding stump, you'd never let the word
depressed, pass your lips, or the doc's would say,
"You're depressed, on medication? Well, can't have
any pain meds.....you could become addicted." The
good old days. I actually had a Great Aunt who's
father locked her in her room back in the twenties
because she was simple. A shame that medication
probably would have helped her live a normal life.
No Denna, I was just saying with Darlene's
personality, she has a way of making grandiose
plans when at the top of her manic cycle....as
does my daughter. I wasn't saying that anyone
with problems could be counted on to be
irresponsible."

Lois E.

-------------------------------------

Old February 22nd 05, 07:48 PM
Lynda

Thanks Lee - I've sorted it.

Lynda

Old February 22nd 05, 08:41 PM

on 2005-02-22 at 11:36 wrote:

If you are using Outlook Express, on the toolbar click
"Message" "Block Sender".

she isn't. since you are using Outlook Express, ctrl-F3 will
full reveal headers. HTH!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old February 22nd 05, 11:08 PM
montana wildhack

On 2005-02-22 13:18:37 -0500, Lee DeRaud said:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:24:16 GMT, Lynda wrote:

If I'm reading that header correctly, you're using Agent: it calls
them 'filters'. It's under the 'Message' menu, and there's a pretty
good explanation if you select 'filters' from the help index.

Lee

You also might want to see if you can write a filter for the dog
newsgroups that kills anything over a certain size. Not only will you
get the Wiz, but anyone who doesn't trim the quotes. If you notice,
most posts from sane people are under 5 KB.

Old February 22nd 05, 11:15 PM
Lee DeRaud

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:08:58 GMT, montana wildhack

On 2005-02-22 13:18:37 -0500, Lee DeRaud said:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:24:16 GMT, Lynda wrote:

If I'm reading that header correctly, you're using Agent: it calls
them 'filters'. It's under the 'Message' menu, and there's a pretty
good explanation if you select 'filters' from the help index.

Lee

You also might want to see if you can write a filter for the dog
newsgroups that kills anything over a certain size. Not only will you
get the Wiz, but anyone who doesn't trim the quotes. If you notice,
most posts from sane people are under 5 KB.

Agent will do that: the size metric is number of lines IIRC. Don't
remember the exact syntax though.

Lee
Old February 23rd 05, 01:03 AM
montana wildhack

On 2005-02-22 13:18:37 -0500, Lee DeRaud said:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:24:16 GMT, Lynda wrote:

If I'm reading that header correctly, you're using Agent: it calls
them 'filters'. It's under the 'Message' menu, and there's a pretty
good explanation if you select 'filters' from the help index.

Lee

You also might want to see if you can write a filter for the dog
newsgroups that kills anything over a certain size. Not only will you
get the Wiz, but anyone who doesn't trim the quotes. If you notice,
most posts from sane people are under 5 KB.

Let's make that somewhere around 10-20 kb. The Wiz usually clocks in
around 43 kb.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:08 AM

In article 2005022219031216807%montana@wildhackinvalid,
montana wildhack wrote:
Let's make that somewhere around 10-20 kb. The Wiz usually clocks in
around 43 kb.

You all know the darnedest things.

Still, I figure that anybody who has more than 5k worth of
stuff to say can say it to somebody else.

All you need to know about Social Security "reform": Your
in-laws are going to have to live with you

How to killfile? bigdadd39 Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 04 08:44 PM
How to killfile? bigdadd39 Dog behavior 0 September 3rd 04 08:44 PM
Killfile Tsetse Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 04 03:05 AM
Killfile Tsetse Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 04 03:05 AM
Killfile is getting huge Nomdeplume Dog breeds 11 July 26th 03 03:54 AM