What breed could this dog be?

Old February 25th 05, 09:31 PM
Natalie Rigertas

Default What breed could this dog be?

http://www.rubricity.com/images/jour.../DCP_0025.html

Chance was found as a stray and was taken in by the finders. He weighs
about 120 pounds, they think (this is my friend's housemate's dog, not her
own dog, so she's estimating the weight). If you click on the arrows,
he's visible in screens #7 (the starting one), 8, 10, 11 (hah! with that
one). So, any ideas from these photos?

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 25th 05, 09:44 PM
Ronna

Natalie Rigertas wrote:
http://www.rubricity.com/images/jour.../DCP_0025.html

Chance was found as a stray and was taken in by the finders. He

weighs
about 120 pounds, they think (this is my friend's housemate's dog,

not her
own dog, so she's estimating the weight). If you click on the

arrows,
he's visible in screens #7 (the starting one), 8, 10, 11 (hah! with

that
one). So, any ideas from these photos?

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker

I guess Rottweiler and Golden Retriever mix He's very handsome!

Old February 25th 05, 10:14 PM
Janet B

On 25 Feb 2005 13:44:56 -0800, "Ronna" wrote:

I guess Rottweiler and Golden Retriever mix He's very handsome!

me too - he's adorable.

--
Janet B
Old February 26th 05, 02:52 AM
Rocky

Natalie Rigertas said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

http://www.rubricity.com/images/jour...14/slides/DCP_
0025.html

He's a Harlan Dog.

Old February 26th 05, 05:23 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

Natalie Rigertas wrote in
:

http://www.rubricity.com/images/jour.../DCP_0025.html

Sigh. Another set of pictures which don't give too much hint of body
proportions, head shape (except the fron view) or tail carriage. Rather big
and heavy dog. Long coat means that it doesn't have a purebred Rottweiler
as one parent, although it might have Rottie blood anyway. It has something
of its face which looks rather much like a sheepdog, so it might have for
example Australian Shepherd or one of the large cattle guarding breeds in
it.

My guess: 25 % Rottweiler, 25 % Newfoundland, 25 % Australian Shepherd, 25
% Tibetan Mastiff.

Liisa
Old February 26th 05, 06:46 AM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 05:23:21 +0000 (UTC) Liisa Sarakontu whittled these words:
Natalie Rigertas wrote in
:

http://www.rubricity.com/images/jour.../DCP_0025.html

Sigh. Another set of pictures which don't give too much hint of body
proportions, head shape (except the fron view) or tail carriage. Rather big
and heavy dog. Long coat means that it doesn't have a purebred Rottweiler
as one parent, although it might have Rottie blood anyway. It has something

Long coated Rottweiler are pretty unusual, but I've met two. I agree just
because of the zebra prnciple I wouldn't expect a purebed Rotty as one
parent - but it is possible.
(for people who have never
seen one) http://www.rottsacrosstexas.com/rarerotts.html

of its face which looks rather much like a sheepdog, so it might have for
example Australian Shepherd or one of the large cattle guarding breeds in
it.

My guess: 25 % Rottweiler, 25 % Newfoundland, 25 % Australian Shepherd, 25
% Tibetan Mastiff.

Tibetan - hmmm never met one.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old February 26th 05, 06:48 AM
Natalie Rigertas

Liisa Sarakontu wrote:
Sigh. Another set of pictures which don't give too much hint of body
proportions, head shape (except the fron view) or tail carriage. Rather big

I asked, trust me! Let me see if I can bug them again for a standing side
view.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 26th 05, 03:31 PM

Check out this picture of a Burmise Mountain Dog. The weight would be
about right. There were a couple of beauties at the Westiminster Dog
show.
http://www.caninetoday.com/breed/bernese/pict.jpg

Old February 26th 05, 06:07 PM
Coyote

wrote in message
Check out this picture of a Burmise Mountain Dog. The weight would be
about right. There were a couple of beauties at the Westiminster Dog
show.

If you mean Bernese Mountain Dog, I don't think that dog looks anything like
one. (Actually that photo does not look like a good Bernese to me either,
but it could be just a bad camera angle.) My grand-mother used to have one,
they have a very specific coat pattern which is NOT that found on this dog,
and the shape of the face is way different.

Personally I agree with the poster who mentioned sheep dogs, that was my
first thought on looking at him that he has a face like a shepherd. I'm not
sure why everyone wants to make him a rottweiler cross, not because of the
long coat (I knew a long-haired rottweiler myself, it happens in the breed)
but because he just looks nothing like it to me. Is it because of the colour
pattern? A lot of people will call any black-and-tan dog a rottweiler-cross
but the pattern exists in any number of breeds, such as Dalmatian, Gordon
setter, Australian shepherd, Bernese mountain dog, English cocker spaniel...
Lots of breeds, really. This guy has blonde highlights in his ruff and tail,
too, which isn't a rottweiler or Bernese thing to do. And I wouldn't make
him a giant breed either because he doesn't look that big, 120 lbs or not. A
lot of dogs weigh in way higher than their breed standards anyway. Giant
breeds are built heavy, this dog doesn't look like it.

My guess would be something like Australian shepherd x German shepherd.
Should give about the right colour, tail, face and height.

-
Alice

Old February 26th 05, 06:33 PM

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:07:22 -0700, "Coyote"
wrote:

Personally I agree with the poster who mentioned sheep dogs, that was my
first thought on looking at him that he has a face like a shepherd.

yep. i was thinking English Shepherd on steroids, myself.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

S is for Susan who perished of fits.
-- Edward Gorey, The Gashlycrumb Tinies