Recently diagnosed diabetic Shih Tzu withering away

Old February 26th 05, 12:33 AM
Terry Fields

Default Recently diagnosed diabetic Shih Tzu withering away

My 12 year old Shih Tzu Tiffany was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She is
eating her prescribed diet (W/D from Hills) but she has gone from 20 to 13.4
lbs in 2 months. I'm afraid if she gets down any further, we'll lose her.
She's also gone blind and seemingly lost her will to live over the 2 months.
I have been giving her increasing doses of insulin according to the doctors
orders but I just keep seeing her deteriorate. Right now she's at 4.5 units
but the vet says she still has a high glucose level. Is there any hope?

Old February 26th 05, 02:40 AM
Janni Cone

"Terry Fields" wrote in message
m...
My 12 year old Shih Tzu Tiffany was recently diagnosed with diabetes. She

is
eating her prescribed diet (W/D from Hills) but she has gone from 20 to

13.4
lbs in 2 months. I'm afraid if she gets down any further, we'll lose her.
She's also gone blind and seemingly lost her will to live over the 2

months.
I have been giving her increasing doses of insulin according to the

doctors
orders but I just keep seeing her deteriorate. Right now she's at 4.5

units
but the vet says she still has a high glucose level. Is there any hope?

Go immediately to www.petdiabetes.org - it's a great website with tons of
information and a community that has been through it all. My brother's dog
is diabetic - going on 5 years. She gets insulin 2X a day and they monitor
her at home with a blood glucose monitor just like humans. Vets will say
it's not necessary to do that, but that was the only way they could get her
levels under control and know that she was OK. She's a wonderful dog, and
her prognosis is excellent. You have to be committed to get VERY INVOLVED
with your dog's treatment, but you can learn to successfully manage this
disease.

Good luck,
JC