Otomax Otibiotic Ointment, Deafness

Old February 26th 05, 03:00 PM
Blaine

Default Otomax Otibiotic Ointment, Deafness

Please note, all responses from freaks will be blocked immediately.

Can anyone provide me with any information/personal experiences that you may
have using the product Otomax, Otibiotic Ointment in your dogs ears for
minor irritation. I used it twice and my 3 year old Miniature Pinscher has
lost 75% of her hearing. This happened weeks ago. I am now using a few
drops of Dexamethasome Sodium Phosphate Opthamalic solution in each ear
morning and night in each ear to try and dislodge any gooey medication
possibly blocking the ear canal.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Blaine

Old February 27th 05, 05:43 AM
DaveL

Blaine wrote:

Please note, all responses from freaks will be blocked immediately.

Can anyone provide me with any information/personal experiences that you may
have using the product Otomax, Otibiotic Ointment in your dogs ears for
minor irritation. I used it twice and my 3 year old Miniature Pinscher has
lost 75% of her hearing.

Deafness is a side affect of Otomax, but generally only in elderly dogs,
and it is usually temporary. Our 15 y.o. Keeshound was rendered totally
deaf after using Otomax - his hearing never returned.

From the Otomax label:

"The use of OTOMAX® has been associated with deafness or partial hearing
loss in a small number of sensitive dogs (eg, geriatric). The hearing
deficit is usually temporary. If hearing or vestibular dysfunction is
noted during the course of treatment, discontinue use of OTOMAX®
immediately and flush the ear canal thoroughly with a non-ototoxic
solution."
Old March 1st 05, 06:51 PM

My little Doxie was put on Tresaderm for an ear infection and she went
deaf.
Had I read the pamplet before using it, I would never put it in her
ears.
I wasnt warned, before hand, by the vet that this might happen....Lea