Anipryl Question

Old February 27th 05, 04:27 AM

Default Anipryl Question

My 11 year old long haired Doxie has been diagnosed with CCD- Canine
Cognitive Dysfunction. My vet said he had his dog on Anipryl for the
last six years of her life. She lived to be sixteen.
This medication is expensive, 75.00 a month and like as not the dose
will have to be increased over time.
We are on a fixed income so we are trying a natural product called
Composure Liquid made by Vetri-Science. As soon as I can get the amount
to give her worked out, it may help. The dose thats call for puts her to
sleep, all I want to do is have her calm down.
The dose for her weight is 1/4 teaspoon morning and night. Shes pretty
calm in the daytime as she sometime sleeps a lot. Most of the time she
is alert and enjoys attention. so I skip it. Its from 6:30 pm till 10pm
that she does this endless wandering and paceing, stares at the wall,
get stuck under tables and chairs, and makes loud vocal noises.
I spend my evenings getting up and rescueing her. This goes on for
hours until shes ready to go to bed.
I love my dog,we have had her since she was around a year old...
but....I have arthritis in my back and this jumping up and down causes
more pain.

She is also on a 2.5 dose of Enalapril for heart problems. I give her
liquid glusosamine as at some point before we got her, she was injured
in her hind quarters. Also since she will not eat the prescription
canned food for heart and kidney,I feed her boiled white chicken, baby
rice cereal and a small amount of senior prescription canned food.
She takes a Golden Years vitamin for senior dogs. Since she cant chew
them, I crush them add a little water and give them in a syringe thing.
I made an audio tape of my dogs vocal noises, I can only describe it as
'squalling' I took it to my vet, he listened and said it didnt sound
like she was in any kind of pain. He thought it was anxiety. You can
pick her up, move her hind legs around and touch her hips and there are
no tender places.
I have posted in here before and received help, I need more.
Some nights I have to get up with her so she can use her puppy pad and
its 2 or 3 in the morning before I can get her back to bed and to sleep.
The vet is doing blood tests every two months to check the Bun and the
Creatin(sp), to see if the kidneys are working ok. So far shes holding
her own. Time to test again in March.
Thanks for hearing me out. A very tired dog 'mama'...Lea

Old February 27th 05, 02:47 PM

My 11 year old long haired Doxie has been diagnosed with CCD- Canine
Cognitive Dysfunction. My vet said he had his dog on Anipryl for the
last six years of her life. She lived to be sixteen.
This medication is expensive, 75.00 a month and like as not the dose
will have to be increased over time.

FWIW, my experiences with Anipryl have been very, very
good. It really helped my elderly Newf/Collie x function
better and, more importantly, worry less. It took about a
month to take effect, so don't expect immediate results. In
some cases it doesn't help at all. Other treatments include
a Science Diet formula, B/D.

All you need to know about Social Security "reform": Your
in-laws are going to have to live with you
Old February 27th 05, 08:15 PM

As far as I know the B/D only comes in the dry form. We tried her on it
but I had to add so much water to soften it that she wasnt getting
enough to satisfy her.
She was on the I/D which she refused to eat...then on the K/D which she
ate for a short time then refused to eat that also.
She will eat the Science diet Sr if I add a smidge of the Ames Savory
Sauce.
That was going to be my next question, what to feed her that will not
harm her heart or kidneys when she will not eat whats shes suppost to??
Thanks to those who answered my posy.

Old February 27th 05, 09:56 PM
Sharon too

As far as I know the B/D only comes in the dry form. We tried her on it
but I had to add so much water to soften it that she wasnt getting
enough to satisfy her.
She was on the I/D which she refused to eat...then on the K/D which she
ate for a short time then refused to eat that also.
She will eat the Science diet Sr if I add a smidge of the Ames Savory
Sauce.
That was going to be my next question, what to feed her that will not
harm her heart or kidneys when she will not eat whats shes suppost to??
Thanks to those who answered my posy.

We started adding a squirt or two of Welactin to our 14 year old's food.
She's very senior and also has Lymphoma and horrid arthritis. Before, her
appetite was declining (as do many senior dog's appetites), she'd stare at
the wall as if someone was there and she needed help getting up to the
stairs all the time. Now she loves her food again, she no longer has these
senile moments with the wall and she only needs help on the stairs 25% of
the time.

Now, is it because of the ingredients of the supplement? Or is it because
she's eating and getting what she needs from her food? Don't know. At this
point, we're lucky to have her this long, so I don't even care!

Here is their site. You can download the technical documentin pdf:

http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/veterinary/welactin.htm

Welactin is a high-potency natural salmon oil supplement for dogs. Welactin
can be mixed with food, and is a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids which
have beneficial effects in the following areas:
a.. Heart Health: helps support normal heart rhythm
b.. Kidney Health: helps support renal function
c.. Brain/Vision: helps support the nervous system
d.. Skin Health: helps support coat & combats dry skin
e.. Immune System Health: helps supports immune function
In a palatability study, Dogs preferred their regular food with Welactin.

Guaranteed Analysis Per Pump (1.5mL)

Moisture max .05%
Vitamin E 75 IU
Total Omega 3 fatty acid content 26.3%
DHA 13.8%
EPA 8.7

Ingredients: Salmon oil, d-alpha tocopheryl acetate, mono-and diglycerides,
tocopherols, soybean oil, citric acid, and rosemary extract.

question askmars Dogs - general 0 June 26th 04 06:56 AM
AskMars - Labrador Health question testn Dog behavior 0 May 17th 04 04:20 AM
shedding question badgirl Dog behavior 0 February 29th 04 06:28 PM