clicker taining

Old February 27th 05, 09:50 PM
*Elle

Default clicker taining

I saw Mary Ray demonstrate clicker training last week and it was brilliant,
I've already taught my dog several new behaviours and she loves it. Anyone
else here experienced in clicker training?

--
*Elle

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your
bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. Judith Viorst

Old February 27th 05, 09:58 PM
Robin Nuttall

*Elle wrote:
I saw Mary Ray demonstrate clicker training last week and it was brilliant,
I've already taught my dog several new behaviours and she loves it. Anyone
else here experienced in clicker training?

Sure. Lots of us are. I have used clickers for about 4 years now. I
don't do a tremendous amount of shaping though I've done some. I
generally use it simply as a reward marker. I also use other tools in
the operant conditioning toolbox as my major form of training, using
mostly positive reinforcement and negative punishment. Sometimes I use
the secondary reinforcer of the clicker, sometimes I simply mark the
behavior with reward of the primary reinforcer. I do a lot of drive
training and have found that for me the clicker works best on more
stationary behaviors while reward with a primary works best for more
motion-based behaviors.

Old February 27th 05, 10:14 PM
*Elle

"Robin Nuttall" wrote in message

*Elle wrote:
I saw Mary Ray demonstrate clicker training last week and it was
brilliant, I've already taught my dog several new behaviours and she
loves it. Anyone else here experienced in clicker training?

Sure. Lots of us are. I have used clickers for about 4 years now. I don't
do a tremendous amount of shaping though I've done some. I generally use
it simply as a reward marker. I also use other tools in the operant
conditioning toolbox as my major form of training, using mostly positive
reinforcement and negative punishment. Sometimes I use the secondary
reinforcer of the clicker, sometimes I simply mark the behavior with
reward of the primary reinforcer. I do a lot of drive training and have
found that for me the clicker works best on more stationary behaviors
while reward with a primary works best for more motion-based behaviors.

Thank you your comments are very useful, I will continue to experiment.