Feeding Dogs Hot Peppers

Old March 1st 05, 03:53 AM
Mark Anderson

Default Feeding Dogs Hot Peppers

As a practice batch for a recent chili contest I made a batch of chili
that didn't turn out so well. I really didn't like it and didn't want to
eat that batch so I thought maybe I could feed it to the dogs.

This chili contains a lot of jalapeno peppers and some spices like
cayenne (chili) powder and a lot of garlic. My dogs can eat just about
anything. They like raw tomatoes and even raw onions. Is it safe for
them to eat jalapenos? I know there are things like chocolate that dogs
are never supposed to eat even though they'll eat it. I just wondered if
jalapenos had something in it that would be bad for dogs.

Old March 1st 05, 04:20 AM
Spot

Onions are just as bad as chocolate, and jalapenos could cause major stomach
problems. Just throw it out.

Tomatoes are ok for dogs but I would only feed them just tomatoes without a
lot of spices. Some dogs get really upset stomachs easily and excessive
gas.

Celeste

.net...

Old March 1st 05, 06:55 AM
Mariann

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
As a practice batch for a recent chili contest I made a batch of chili
that didn't turn out so well. I really didn't like it and didn't want to
eat that batch so I thought maybe I could feed it to the dogs.

This chili contains a lot of jalapeno peppers and some spices like
cayenne (chili) powder and a lot of garlic. My dogs can eat just about
anything. They like raw tomatoes and even raw onions. Is it safe for
them to eat jalapenos? I know there are things like chocolate that dogs
are never supposed to eat even though they'll eat it. I just wondered if
jalapenos had something in it that would be bad for dogs.

poor dogs ... why use them as dustbins ..

Old March 1st 05, 01:16 PM
Doug 2

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
As a practice batch for a recent chili contest I made a batch of chili
that didn't turn out so well. I really didn't like it and didn't want to
eat that batch so I thought maybe I could feed it to the dogs.

This chili contains a lot of jalapeno peppers and some spices like
cayenne (chili) powder and a lot of garlic. My dogs can eat just about
anything. They like raw tomatoes and even raw onions. Is it safe for
them to eat jalapenos? I know there are things like chocolate that dogs
are never supposed to eat even though they'll eat it. I just wondered if
jalapenos had something in it that would be bad for dogs.

Troll,Troll,Troll your boat...

Old March 1st 05, 04:21 PM
Mariann

"Doug 2" wrote in message

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
As a practice batch for a recent chili contest I made a batch of chili
that didn't turn out so well. I really didn't like it and didn't want

eat that batch so I thought maybe I could feed it to the dogs.

This chili contains a lot of jalapeno peppers and some spices like
cayenne (chili) powder and a lot of garlic. My dogs can eat just about
anything. They like raw tomatoes and even raw onions. Is it safe for
them to eat jalapenos? I know there are things like chocolate that dogs
are never supposed to eat even though they'll eat it. I just wondered

if
jalapenos had something in it that would be bad for dogs.

Troll,Troll,Troll your boat...

You didn't mean that I was a troll did you ? I spent a large part of my
Scandinavian childhood peering into the wood looking for the small hairy
longnosed big eared trolls my mother told me lived under the newly fallen
oaktrees but I never saw any ..... (breathers out ) I dont know any other
type of Troll .....

Old March 1st 05, 05:26 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:53:07 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

As a practice batch for a recent chili contest I made a batch of chili
that...would be bad for dogs.

Plenty of people enjoy hot peppers, on an infrequent basis. Their
systems never quite get used to the peppers; so, the folks joke about
how the peppers burn going in and coming out. I suspect its the same for
dogs, and I consider that pretty close to abusive.

I'm not wishing to blow this out of proportion: I merely wish you'd
reconsider the spices, peppers and onions.

I eat some sort of pepper sauce each day. I have a plastic squirt bottle
like catsup and mustard are found in at restaurants, only mine contains
a mixture of Texas Pete and Liquid Smoke. I chew corn chips, and squirt
the pepper sauce directly into my mouth. It's a non-messy way to get the
heat I want. In the meantime, my dogs get their own treats. Yum, yum!

School - Four walls with tomorrow inside.
Old March 1st 05, 05:56 PM
Mark Anderson

In article says...
My suspiscions were that she killed her own dogs by feeding them onions. I
can't confirm this.

Interesting. Although I only give my dogs parts of onions every now and
then I didn't realize how it would affect their blood clotting abilities.
During tomato harvest season around August/September they get a lot of
tomato ends as treats. I would presume that garlic, which is real good
for humans, would be just as bad for a dog since it acts as a blood
thinner. Last year my Border Collie, ever so clever, figured out how to
get at some mouse poison and ate it. Ever since I had her fixed she's
been on a very strict diet and is always scrounging for food. Anyway,
mouse poison does the same thing, it thins the blood causing internal
bleeding. I spent a very scary month getting her blood back to normal
but she pulled through fine. It's hard to tell what's going on inside
the dog.

Anyway, I tossed the chili. It was a lot of food which is why I asked
the question. A little piece of weird veggie like onion every now and
then (even rarer since I don't cook much), probably won't hurt but giving
them a whole crockpot of chili over the next month probably wouldn't be
a good idea even though my bad chili has to taste better than that
Pedigree canned food and I only feed them about one can of that stuff per
week as a treat. They mainly live on dry food.

Thanks for the input. The dogs are going in for their shots in a couple
of months and I'll ask my vet about what veggies they can eat and how
much.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:28 PM
buglady

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net...
I only give my dogs parts of onions every now and
then I didn't realize how it would affect their blood clotting abilities.

...........rat poison keeps the blood from clotting, onions cause Heinz body
anemia - where the RBCs lyse or break open. This stops when you quit
feeding onions. Some dogs are more affected than others due to a faulty
metabolic pathway. If a dog is already anemic or is a puppy then the body
can't keep up with making new RBCs. This goes on too long and they get
sick.

During tomato harvest season around August/September they get a lot of
tomato ends

.........no foliage though as it is toxic.

as treats. I would presume that garlic, which is real good
for humans, would be just as bad for a dog

..........not really. Toy dogs seem to react more readily to onion/garlic
compounds. For most dogs they would have to eat an enormous amount every
day to cause a problem.

buglady
take out the dog before replying