Dog Has Difficulty Breathing while Sleeping

Old March 1st 05, 07:59 AM
Susan

Default Dog Has Difficulty Breathing while Sleeping

Lately, our dog (dalmatian, female, 10 years old) has been behaving
strangely: Whenever she lies down, she complains with every gasp of
air, as if it were difficult for her to breathe normally. She also
sleeps in a fetal (curled) position, and almost never lays on her side.
However, when she gets up, she starts breathing normally again (?), and
shows no signs of feeling unwell. Additionally, I don't know if the
following might be related, but she is always hungry and trying to eat
anything she finds.

The vet (always the same person) has seen her already. When he saw her,
he thought it might be a case of back-ache (at the height of the
withers). I also noticed that her loin seems bulgy and somewhat stiff.
Could this be related to her gaining weight after being spayed?

Our dog was spayed a few years ago, after a case of pyometra (uterus
infection). Some of her teats also had to be removed, after she was
diagnosed with mastitis and was beginning to exhibit cyst-like
formations.

These symptoms really have us wondering. Is it normal for a dog her age
to have these symptoms? Is this a problem, or should we forget about
it? If anyone can help us clarify this, I thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Susan

Old March 1st 05, 01:19 PM
buglady

"Susan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lately, our dog (dalmatian, female, 10 years old) has been behaving
strangely: Whenever she lies down, she complains with every gasp of
air, as if it were difficult for her to breathe normally

The vet (always the same person) has seen her already. When he saw her,
he thought it might be a case of back-ache (at the height of the
withers). I also noticed that her loin seems bulgy and somewhat stiff.
Could this be related to her gaining weight after being spayed?

..........did he check her heart out thoroughly? Do her lungs sound normal?
Dalmatians are prone to kidney stones, perhaps there's pain going on
associated with that. If he thinks it's her back perhaps an X-ray is in
order. Doesn't sound normal to me, I'd get further physical workup done.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old April 3rd 05, 06:50 AM
Rucksack

"Susan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

To Susan, Does she throw up after eating LARGE meals? but not just when
snacking.Did the Vet discuss what caused the back ache? What I'm getting at
will sound very serious and I must say that I've seen it in dogs about 3-5
years older than yours. First if she throws up and the laybored breathing
can be caused by a tumor in the gut region. The back ache can be caused by
fused vertebrae, though I believe it usually starts from the hip region not
the withers. and also your dog is still relatively young. Being a Dalmation
I would pick up a small manual to see if there are any congenital problems
with that particular breed. best to you and your dog.