Food for kidney disease

Old March 1st 05, 11:20 PM
Jayebea

Default Food for kidney disease

My vet recommended Prescription Diet K/D for my large dog, who now has
kidney problems. (I know that Purina makes something called NF, but the vet
doesn't sell it.)

Does anyone know how much these products sell for in the Los Angeles area?
The vet only carries small bags, 4 or 8 pounds, which isn't very economical
for a 70 pound dog's dinnerbowl.

Also, does anyone know of any substitutes, home made, or adapted using
commercial foods?

Thanks --

Old March 2nd 05, 06:54 AM
gaubster2

Jayebea wrote:
My vet recommended Prescription Diet K/D for my large dog, who now

has
kidney problems. (I know that Purina makes something called NF, but

the vet
doesn't sell it.)

Does anyone know how much these products sell for in the Los Angeles

area?
The vet only carries small bags, 4 or 8 pounds, which isn't very

economical
for a 70 pound dog's dinnerbowl.

Also, does anyone know of any substitutes, home made, or adapted

using
commercial foods?

Thanks --

I'd stay away from commercial foods until you check w/ your vet. If
you vet carries k/d, they can order it in larger bags for you (like 30
lb bags).

Old March 2nd 05, 06:56 AM
gaubster2

Jayebea wrote:
My vet recommended Prescription Diet K/D for my large dog, who now

has
kidney problems. (I know that Purina makes something called NF, but

the vet
doesn't sell it.)

Does anyone know how much these products sell for in the Los Angeles

area?
The vet only carries small bags, 4 or 8 pounds, which isn't very

economical
for a 70 pound dog's dinnerbowl.

Also, does anyone know of any substitutes, home made, or adapted

using
commercial foods?

Thanks --

I'd stay away from commercial foods until you check w/ your vet. If
your vet carries k/d, they can order it in larger bags for you (like 30
lb bags).

Old March 2nd 05, 10:50 PM
Jayebea

Thanks. Is the phosphorus that is the key to good diet in this case?

Judy

"elegy" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:20:15 GMT, "Jayebea"
wrote:

My vet recommended Prescription Diet K/D for my large dog, who now has
kidney problems. (I know that Purina makes something called NF, but the

vet
doesn't sell it.)

Does anyone know how much these products sell for in the Los Angeles

area?
The vet only carries small bags, 4 or 8 pounds, which isn't very

economical
for a 70 pound dog's dinnerbowl.

Also, does anyone know of any substitutes, home made, or adapted using
commercial foods?

there aren't really any commercial diets appropriate for dogs with
kidney disease. they're mostly way too high in phosphorus. there is an
excellent yahoo group K9KidneyDiet that has tons of archived
information and some very knowledgeable members if you're interested
in homemade diets.

--
my best friend is a pit bull.
http://shattering.org

Old March 3rd 05, 12:41 AM
gaubster2

Jayebea wrote:
Thanks. Is the phosphorus that is the key to good diet in this case?

Judy

n-3 fatty acids, restricted phosphorus, antioxidants, buffering
capabilites, and more are all important to succesfully managing kidney
disease through nutrition. Hill's k/d is an excellent choice and in
fact a University of Minnesota study demonstrated that dogs with
naturally occurring renal disease that were fed k/d lived over 3xs as
long and with 50% fewer uremic crises than dogs fed a grocery store
food. This was a double-blinded, randomized, controlled study--the
gold standard of clinical studies.

Old March 3rd 05, 05:16 PM
buglady

"Jayebea" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks. Is the phosphorus that is the key to good diet in this case?

...........yes. And I second going to K9Kidney for help.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 5th 05, 03:58 AM
Davina Stuart

"buglady" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jayebea" wrote in message
ink.net...
Thanks. Is the phosphorus that is the key to good diet in this case?

..........yes. And I second going to K9Kidney for help.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

having just looked for this in yahoo, (one of our dogs was just diagnosed
with kidney problems..) it turns out it's not yahoo.. it's an MSN group...
K9KidneyDiet

Old March 5th 05, 10:53 AM
buglady

"Davina Stuart" wrote in message

having just looked for this in yahoo, (one of our dogs was just diagnosed
with kidney problems..) it turns out it's not yahoo.. it's an MSN group...
K9KidneyDiet

.........There's still a Yahoo group called K9KidneyDiet. Looks like its
still active. Been there since 2001.

Old March 6th 05, 06:52 AM
Davina Stuart

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Davina Stuart" wrote in message

having just looked for this in yahoo, (one of our dogs was just

diagnosed
with kidney problems..) it turns out it's not yahoo.. it's an MSN

group...
K9KidneyDiet

........There's still a Yahoo group called K9KidneyDiet. Looks like its
still active. Been there since 2001.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

yeah.. it's really weird.. i searched for it on yahoo first.. was told it
didn't really exist, but found the msn one.. signed up for that.. went back
to look for that.. was told it didn't exisit.. but up pops the yahoo one...
*rolls eyes* i think my end of the internet has a kink....

Davina

Old March 6th 05, 10:45 AM
buglady

"Davina Stuart" wrote in message
yeah.. it's really weird.. i searched for it on yahoo first.. was told it
didn't really exist, but found the msn one.. signed up for that.. went

back
to look for that.. was told it didn't exisit.. but up pops the yahoo

one...
*rolls eyes* i think my end of the internet has a kink....

........haha! Really I think it's that Yahoo search engines are useless. If
you do not have the name exactly right, including capitalization, you can't
find anything.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

What is REALLY in your pet's food? catsdogs Dog behavior 3 May 12th 04 05:57 AM
What is REALLY in your pet's food? catsdogs Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 10:22 PM
What is REALLY in your pet's food? catsdogs Dog behavior 0 May 11th 04 10:22 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 03:38 AM
THE PET FOOD INDUSTRY AND YOUR PETS HEALTH (vol 1) WalterNY Dog behavior 0 February 8th 04 04:15 PM