Try to figure out loose stool problem.

Old March 2nd 05, 03:38 PM
NP

Default Try to figure out loose stool problem.

Hi -

I need some help figure out the problem with loose stool. My 4 yrs old
rescued Chocolate lab, Sundae, came to me from the Shelter last Sunday.
He was a little sick when I got him. He has runny nose with yacky green
stuff. I took him to the vet on Tuesday. The vet said he has ear
infection and a little fever. I also told the vet about the loose
stool. He gave Sundae Antibiotic for 10 days, ointment for ear
infection, and some deworm power (the name start with a "P", don't
remember what it is). Although, he was tested heart worm negative from
the shelter, the vet said he wants to give him the power. He said it
will get rid of the worm if he has them, but doesn't hurt him if he
doesn't. It has been 10 days, since I got him. His ear is getting
better and he no longer has the green stuff coming out of his nose.
But, he still has loose stool. First, I thought it's because of stress
dued to changes, the food, and new environment. I feed him Science
Diet, Chicken flavor. He was given rawhide bone, but I stop after his
stool turn from loose to watery. Now, all I feed him are his SD food,
and a couple of Milk bone, and cookies. He still continues to have
loose stool. Any one has any suggestions ?

Old March 2nd 05, 04:25 PM
David Sherman

NP wrote on 3/2/05 10:38 AM:

I feed him Science
Diet, Chicken flavor. He was given rawhide bone, but I stop after his
stool turn from loose to watery. Now, all I feed him are his SD food,
and a couple of Milk bone, and cookies. He still continues to have
loose stool. Any one has any suggestions ?

A couple of things:

1. He very well could have an intestinal parasite. My dog had Giardia, a
very common and nasty parasite that is difficult to beat. Take a stool
sample to the vet. If you already did and it came back negative, take
another one. False negative results are not uncommon.

Light colored loose stool, watery stool, and blood are all signs that a
paracite could be the problem. Put "giardia" into a google search and
you'll find a lot of information.

2. The antibiotic that you're giving your dog cold be the culprit. I don't
know about you , but I get a little "runny" wen I have to take antibiotics.
a quick conversation with the vet should be enough, but he should ask you
for another stool sample just in case.

3. You don't say where you are in the country. If you're in a northern
city, and live in an area, like mine, where the buildings cover the
sidewalks with rock salt, and after coming back inside your dog cleans his
paws, the rock salt can be doing a number on his stomach. A set of dog
booties will help. Also, clean your dogs feet when you come in from outside
(there are special paw wipes you can buy, but I use generic, non scented
baby wipes. Much cheaper!)

4. Some dogs are allergic to chicken so you might think about changing his
food. I suspected that my dog was a little intolerant of chicken so I
changed her food to Solid Gold Bison & Salmon mix. It did help a little.
If the vet tells you that you should try feeding your dog boiled chicken and
rice, think twice about it, because the chicken could be doing more harm
than good. Also, if you do change your dog's food, do it gradually.

You might try to add a quarter to a half cup of plain boiled rice to your
dog's food to see if that helps his stool.

I think you should take a stool sample to your vet just to be safe.

Good luck.

Old March 2nd 05, 04:38 PM
Michael A. Ball

On 2 Mar 2005 07:38:34 -0800, "NP" wrote:

Hi -

I need some help figure out the problem with loose stool. ...Any one has any suggestions ?

"P" might be Panacure, fenbendazole suspension, a dewormer manufactured
by Hoechst-Roussel.

Deworming and loose stools seem to go together. :-( But not
indefinitely. SD is considered good dog food, by most folks, but it
might be too rich for Sundae. And even that might be temporary! I'd hold
off on the cookies and Milk Bones for two or three days, because they
are quite rich, too.

When PetsMart changed the formulation of their Premium Baked dog food
(to make it even better), Sheba began having loose stools; and she
didn't stop until I switched to a different brand, IAMs.

I've seen the ground and compressed rawhide chews cause loose stools,
but not the chips, strips and rolled rawhide.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!
Old March 3rd 05, 09:52 PM

I'd bet money that the Science Diet is your problem. Contrary to their
flashy web site and marketing hype, Science Diet is not a quality food!
Please, Please try one of the following and let us know if it helps!

www.ohmpet.com

www.canidae.com

www.solidgoldhealth.com

www.naturapet.com

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncuad.asp

Old March 4th 05, 07:37 AM
gaubster2

I'd bet money that the Science Diet is your problem. Contrary to

their
flashy web site and marketing hype, Science Diet is not a quality

food!
Please, Please try one of the following and let us know if it helps!

www.ohmpet.com

www.canidae.com

www.solidgoldhealth.com

www.naturapet.com

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncuad.asp

And all of those foods are excessively high in phosphorus (will
exacerbate kidney disease, high in sodium (will lead to hypertension
and heart problems), high in calcium (can lead to urinary and skin and
bone problems) for adult and senior pets. None of those foods have
much in the way of antioxidant levels and none of those foods utilize a
fixed formula--so you'll never know what you're getting! Curiously,
all of those foods focus on misleading consumers about the quality of
ingredients used and don't focus on what's most important--NUTRITION!
Now, David feel free to resume your Hill's Hating! LOL!

Old March 4th 05, 12:27 PM

No, you feel free to continue living in your delusional little Hill's
world. You do realize that only you and Steve believe all your BS?
You guys might want to consider wearing a tin foil hat the next time
you enter your Hill's / Colgate - Palmolive office. There's a small
chance that your brainwashing can be reversed...

Old March 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

" wrote in
ups.com:

I'd bet money that the Science Diet is your problem.

Only anecdotal, but my dog is on SD, and has never had a problem with loose
stools.

--
Marcel and Moogli
Old March 4th 05, 09:52 PM
Sharon too

Only anecdotal, but my dog is on SD, and has never had a problem with
loose
stools.

Ditto. But, some people are out to discredit Science Diet at all cost.

Old March 5th 05, 01:49 PM

Well, lets look at the facts and take a close look at the ingredients
of one of their flagship food products called Science Diet "Advanced
Protection".

Science Diet Advanced Protection =

Ingredients
Corn meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, animal fat (preserved
with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), flaxseed, chicken liver
flavor, dried egg product, dried carrots, dried spinach, dried grape
pomace, dried tomato pomace, dried citrus pulp, vegetable oil, oat
fiber, taurine, L-carnitine, preserved with mixed tocopherols and
citric acid, minerals (salt, potassium chloride, ferrous sulfate, zinc
oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium
selenite), alpha-lipoic acid, rosemary extract, beta-carotene, vitamins
(choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, vitamin
D3 supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of Vitamin C),
niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine
hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Hey, if you want to pay close to a dollar a pound for a bag of Corn,
Soy n beaks just because their flashy marketing says it's good stuff,
go right ahead!

I pay a little less than a dollar a pound for Canidae and little over a
dollar a pound for Wellness. Now lets look at their ingredients

Canidae =

Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken
Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract), Herring Meal,
Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin,
Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic
Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus
Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried
Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis
Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces
Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract Mixed
Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese
Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate,
Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement,
Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate
(Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium
Pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate,
Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12
Supplement

Wellness SuperMix5 Chicken =

Deboned Chicken, Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye Flour, Menhaden Fish Meal,
Whitefish, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Millet, Canola Oil (preserved with
mixed tocopherols), Flaxseed, Amaranth, Peas, Carrots, Whole Sweet
Potatoes, Whole Apples, Whole Blueberries, Whole Clove Garlic, Alfalfa
Leaf, Yucca Schidigera, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium,
Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Inulin, Fructose,
Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-Carotene, Potassium Chloride,
Zinc Proteinate (a chelated source of Zinc), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc
Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Copper Proteinate (a chelated source of
Copper), Copper Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, Manganese Sulfate,
Manganese Proteinate ( a chelated source of Manganese), Sodium
Selenite, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin
Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin D-3
Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid.

Nipping & Biting Problem mic-hae.l Dog rescue 2 October 18th 03 08:42 PM
NEED HELP! MY DOG HAS A SKIN PROBLEM maureen espeleta Dog health 4 September 15th 03 06:38 PM
NEED HELP! MY DOG HAS A SKIN PROBLEM maureen espeleta Dog health 0 September 13th 03 04:40 PM
Is this a problem? Suja Dog behavior 7 July 26th 03 01:35 AM
Dog Aggressive German Shepherd Problem Rick Dog health 2 July 15th 03 09:19 PM