Puppy has red, swollen eye

Old March 5th 05, 01:32 AM
Jodi

Default Puppy has red, swollen eye

Hi All,

My puppy has a red and swollen eye...it seems to have come on very suddenly
(noticed a little redness this afternoon, a few hours later it seems much
more red and swollen underneath the eye).

She did run into her crate head first yesterday, so it might be a shiner.
She's not pawing or trying to scratch it; it really doesn't seem to bother
her at all.

I know you all aren't vets, but I thought I'd ask and see if it warrants a
visit or if we should let it bed and see if the swelling goes down.

Thanks,
Jodi

Old March 5th 05, 03:31 PM
flick

"Jodi" wrote in message
nk.net...
Hi All,

My puppy has a red and swollen eye...it seems to have come on very
suddenly (noticed a little redness this afternoon, a few hours later it
seems much more red and swollen underneath the eye).

She did run into her crate head first yesterday, so it might be a shiner.
She's not pawing or trying to scratch it; it really doesn't seem to bother
her at all.

I know you all aren't vets, but I thought I'd ask and see if it warrants a
visit or if we should let it bed and see if the swelling goes down.

It would warrant a visit if you think there's a possibility that she might
have scratched her cornea (the clear covering of her eyeball).

Corneal abrasion should usually be treated with some antibiotic ointment to
make sure it doesn't get infected and thereby threaten your dog's sight in
that eye. Though such abrasions are usually *very* uncomfortable, and she'd
be pawing and have a 'teary' wet eye.

If she were my dog, had no signs of discomfort, 'teary' eye, and I thought
she probably did not have a corneal abrasion or any real damage, I would
keep an eye on it at home, and take her in if it appeared to be anything
more serious than a simple bruise near the eye.

I think there's a rec.pets.dogs.health newsgroup, BTW.

Disclaimer: I am not a vet.

flick 100785

Thanks,
Jodi