Dog in a bicycle trailer ?

Old March 5th 05, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Default Dog in a bicycle trailer ?

Simon G writes:

Anybody has any experience with cycling with your dog?

I've spent some time cycling with dog(s) in bike trailers.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
The Burley Cub I have has a rigid floor like the one you've built. It works
well. I also have have a Trek trailer with a fabric floor.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
It's a lot easier to haul but not as comfortable for the dogs. (I also have
a single-wheel trailer, a BoB, which just barely works for short trips and
is quite a challenge with a dog who keeps leaning back and forth to look
around me.)

Suggestions you could share?

I usually tether my dogs inside the trailer by running the seatbelt through
the tug loops of their sledding harnesses. They like to stand on the edge
and lean forward. This lets them freely move inside the trailer without
being able to slip completely out of it.

Use a(n extra) handlebar-mounted mirror to monitor the trailer. If your
dog is tethered, there's not much that's likely to go wrong but I like to
keep an eye on my pax - even just as a way to enjoy the ride together. I
lost my ability to look under my arm while maintaining a perfect straight
line decades ago so the mirror is a big help. (Riding with a trailer is
enough of a challenge without doing anything that will make you weave.)

I use a coiled cable to allow the dogs to also run along on the right side
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
of the bike and help me pull the trailer. (That picture was of a brief
trip around the neighborhood at Lake Tahoe and they weren't wearing their
harnesses as they normally would because I didn't want them to pull.)

I like your idea of using a yoga mat. It's important for the dog to have
a stable surface. I usually stuff in some fluffy blankets too.

As you'd probably expect, riding in the rain can quickly result in a real
mess. Commercial trailers have see-through vinyl flaps to shield the
passengers from rain and road crud coming off your rear tire while still
providing ventilation from the sides.

You might want to consider attaching the top half of the crate to yours.
My dogs often like to back up into the shade of the trailer.
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
It will also make it more "den-like" and simplify tethering. (You can
tether to the back of the crate without the concern of the dog falling
out the back.)

He has been scared of being in the trailer when it
moves, so I am being extra slow and patient

Good tactic. I also recommend letting the dog run to his heart's content
before putting him in the trailer. For me the trailer is a way to let my
dogs join me on trips that are longer than they'd be able to run. Don't
stick your dog in the trailer while he's still full of energy. Make it a
place to relax and enjoy the scenery after a workout.

Enjoy the ride!

--kyler