what food is best for husky puppies?

Old March 5th 05, 07:30 PM
evil monkey

Default what food is best for husky puppies?

My 4 month old husky female has had a bladder infection for the last
month. After several rounds of antibiotics the vet says her urine still
has bacteria in it, and that it is probably food related.

How can a bladder infection be food related is my first question...

The second is what food should I be feeding her to avoid this problem?

She was introduced to Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chicken & Rice by her
breeder. The vet has recommended his own Medi-Cal Preventive Formula,
which is pretty expensive.

I know huskies have sensitive stomachs, so I'm nervous about changing
her diet back and forth. I'd like a recommendation for a dog food brand,
specifically one that might help with this bladder infection... if I
can hear what other people feed their huskies (she is not a working
dog) all the better.

Thanks;

Les

Old March 5th 05, 08:19 PM

evil monkey wrote:
I know huskies have sensitive stomachs, so I'm nervous about changing
her diet back and forth.

That's news to me - the breed is known for having cast iron
guts and having extremely efficient digestive systems.

I've only fed my Siberians "premium" feeds. They've done
well on Canidae, Eukanuba, and especially Eagle Pack.
They've done less well on Science Diet and Solid Gold (by
"less well" I mean crappy coats and lower energy levels).
I'd try Eagle Pack puppy Formula, and if that's not
available where you are, I'd try Eukanuba Puppy Medium
Formua. Both feeds are popular with owners of northern
breed dogs, and I've had good experiences with Eukanuba and
outstanding experiences with Eagle Pack.

"[Social Security] will be bust in 10 years" -- George Bush, in 1978
Old March 6th 05, 03:52 AM
Les Parsons

When we picked up our puppy the breeder told us they had sensitive
digestive systems... and changing her food or feeding her something new
always seems to bring on diarhea. Although she will eat anything we put
in front of her (and even things we don't), I'd rather find a food
that's good for her and stick with it to avoid any digestive problems
switching foods seems to cause her. Plus the fact that the vet told us
our dog's current bladder infection could be food related (?).

I'll check out the feeds you mentioned and see if I can get them here
(Montreal).

thanks;

Les

Old March 6th 05, 04:17 AM

Les Parsons wrote:
When we picked up our puppy the breeder told us they had sensitive
digestive systems... and changing her food or feeding her something new
always seems to bring on diarhea.

It's possible that this particular breeder's dogs tend to
have sensitive stomachs. It's really not typical of the
breed. In fact, in an interview with Blake Freking in the
Anchorage Daily News this week he mentioned their healthy
gastrointestinal systems as one of the reasons he runs
Siberians (as opposed to Alaskans).

Who's your breeder? I know several racing-oriented Siberian
Husky breeders near Montreal, in L'Epiphanie and Lanoraie.

"[Social Security] will be bust in 10 years" -- George Bush, in 1978
Old March 6th 05, 09:10 AM
Hal C

evil monkey wrote in
:

[...]

You can't get any better than Hill's Science Diet Canine Growth. Get
the large breed formula.

Old March 6th 05, 11:47 AM

Hal C wrote:
You can't get any better than Hill's Science Diet Canine Growth.

That's certainly not true, unless what you think it's better
for is throwing under the wheels of your car to get traction
if you're stuck in snow.

"[Social Security] will be bust in 10 years" -- George Bush, in 1978
Old March 6th 05, 05:27 PM

LOL!

Look at Hal C's post history. This is his first post? "Maybe" he's
really Gaubster or Steve Crane?

Science Diet is Corn Meal, Soybean Meal and Chicken By-Products. As
mentioned, it's not a bad formula for getting your car out of the snow
but I would never feed it to my dog!

Old March 6th 05, 08:07 PM

"Several vets have told me that Science Diet is the best. I would trust

a vet's opinion over yours any day."

Yes, because Vet's are somehow immune to the greed and corruption of
common folk!

Vet's recommend and sell Science Diet because Hills / Colgate-Palmolive
practically gives it to them for free making it very profitable for the
the Vets. Channeling their foods through Vets also lends credibility
to their bag of expensive Corn Meal, Soybean meal and Chicken
By-Products (Heads, Beaks, Feet, intestines, etc.) to the masses. It's
all a part of their well orchestrated marketing campaign. BTW, my Vet
applauded me when I told him I was using Wellness and Canidae. Do your
due diligence and you'll see the light.

Old March 7th 05, 06:24 PM

Hal C wrote:
Several vets have told me that Science Diet is the best. I would trust
a vet's opinion over yours any day.

Several vets have prescribed prescription diets from Science
Diet for my dogs, but have told me to otherwise avoid the
brand. YMMV, but probably not.

The projected gap between Social Security revenues and expenditures is
smaller than the gap between non-Social Security revenues and expenditures