Lab with undiagnosed condition

Old March 9th 05, 01:47 AM
Smashing Bob

Default Lab with undiagnosed condition

I have a female lab, not spayed, who we found as a 1-2 year old stray
and had unknown number of litters 6 years ago. She has the following
symptoms and my vet has not been able to diagnose her seeming fatal
disease. For 3 week she has been drinking water insatiably and peeing
(lots!) in the house which she never ever did before. The vet at
first thought cancer when he felt her mammarys and they were rather
lumpy and hard. But he put her on antibiotics (this was almost 2
weeks ago) because of the incessant drinking and peeing led him to
believe it was an infection. Her eyes just one day soon after started
to look very tired, the lower lids drooped and what looks like
cataracts appeared all at once in the corners, and the whites got much
redder than usual. She was very lethargic, and looking back now,
probably the first symptom I noticed even before the peeing in the
house was slowing down and favoring her back legs when I took her for
a walk, not limping, but as if pain was making it hard for her to move
them. While her mammaries are hardening in the last few days, she is
slowing down more, and 3 days ago I noticed a lesion that she was
licking on her hind leg, like a big bloody mosquito bite or a puncture
wound. My vet is stymied - x rays, ulrasound, blood tests and
urinalysis all are inconclusive, showing no clear reasons for the
symptoms. Anyone having some experience with this behavior in a lab,
please share. She is fading fast and I may take her in to another vet
and see if I can put her on an IV tonight if she keeps getting worse,
because she's finally stopped drinking so much water, but now seems
nearly unable to and uninterested in drinking or eating.

TIA

bob
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." -- Galileo
Galilei
Old March 9th 05, 12:44 PM
buglady

"Smashing Bob" wrote in message
For 3 week she has been drinking water insatiably and peeing
(lots!) in the house which she never ever did before. The vet at
first thought cancer when he felt her mammarys and they were rather
lumpy and hard.

.. Her eyes just one day soon after started
to look very tired, the lower lids drooped and what looks like
cataracts appeared all at once in the corners, and the whites got much
redder than usual. She was very lethargic, and looking back now,
probably the first symptom I noticed even before the peeing in the
house was slowing down and favoring her back legs when I took her for
a walk, not limping, but as if pain was making it hard for her to move
them.

..........I don't know about the lumpy breasts, but did your vet test for
Addison's disease? If she has untreated Addison's she may be in critical
condition at this point and need emergency care as it can become a crisis
situation. Droopy eyelids are sometimes a marker for Cushings also, another
endocrine disease. I also wonder about some of the tick diseases, but I
would think that kidney or liver function would be compromised and show up
in the bloodwork.

........I'd get your pup to an emergency clinic. Please let us know what's
going on. All paws crossed here for you and her. You might also post this
in alt.med.veterinary if you haven't already.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 9th 05, 02:03 PM
Janet B

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 18:47:59 -0600, Smashing Bob
wrote:

I have a female lab, not spayed, who we found as a 1-2 year old stray
and had unknown number of litters 6 years ago.

Why haven't you spayed her?

She has the following
symptoms and my vet has not been able to diagnose her seeming fatal
disease.

Have they totally ruled out cancer?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 9th 05, 07:53 PM
buglady

"Janet B" wrote in message
Why haven't you spayed her?

............at this point, with the shape the dog is in, that is a totally
irrelevant question.

Old March 9th 05, 08:16 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 18:53:05 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

...........at this point, with the shape the dog is in, that is a totally
irrelevant question.

I dunno - if it helps a future dog........

Old March 9th 05, 11:39 PM
buglady

"Janet B" wrote in message
I dunno - if it helps a future dog........

..........you're not asking a *future* dog - you're poking a sharp stick at
someone who's down. The world will never work as you want it to anyway, so
that question is never relevant AFAIC.

Old March 9th 05, 11:46 PM
Janet B

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 22:39:12 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

.........you're not asking a *future* dog - you're poking a sharp stick at
someone who's down. The world will never work as you want it to anyway, so
that question is never relevant AFAIC.

It honestly was not meant that way. I am genuinely curious - was
there a medical or other reason?

Poor girl must be awfully uncomfortable right now, so I hope her
condition is resolved soon.

Old March 10th 05, 02:27 AM
Dragon

has the vet checked her for diabetes mellitus or diabetes insipidus? Too
much blood sugar would cause her to pee lots and excess thirst (D mellitus),
and a fault with antidiuretic hormone secretion from the pituitary gland
could cause the excess thirst and excess pee (D insipidus)

[...]

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with

Old March 10th 05, 08:06 PM
Smashing Bob

This is a reply to buglady's and everone else's caring and concerned
posts concerning Tania's condition. I'm sorry to say she is no longer
with us. After an emergency exploratory surgery early this morning we
decided to let her go quietly and without pain while she was under
anesthesia on the operating table. Large pockets of cancer were
causing bleeding in her abdomen. She was a brave pup.
I don't have too much else to say now other than to thank ALL of you
for caring enough to reply and that I believe all who did reply had
the best of intentions for my lovely tania. She was a sweetheart and
you all would have fallen in love with her at first sight as I did. I
don't feel proud of some of my actions or inaction as her caretaker
over the last 6 years, but I was proud to be her friend.

thanks again for caring about her,

bob

and to buglady in particular: Thanks to your sig I made sure i took my
12 year old shepard mix, BJ out for a long walk in the snow before
replying. Moby the cat was also welcome but he stayed home in his
warm chair.

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 11:44:16 GMT, "buglady"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 10th 05, 08:20 PM
buglady

"Smashing Bob" wrote in message
I'm sorry to say she is no longer
with us. After an emergency exploratory surgery early this morning we
decided to let her go quietly and without pain while she was under
anesthesia on the operating table. Large pockets of cancer were
causing bleeding in her abdomen.

...........I'm so sorry. There's nothing worse than losing a good friend.
May you remember the good times and may she be on a good journey.

My condolences
buglady
take out the dog before replying

and to buglady in particular: Thanks to your sig I made sure i took my
12 year old shepard mix, BJ out for a long walk in the snow before
replying.

.........I'm sure he appreciated it!

my dogs nose MauiJNP Dog behavior 11 November 5th 04 12:23 PM
GSD with pancreas condition Tullitis Dog health 2 August 19th 04 02:51 AM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
Unusual liver condition DaveL Dog health 8 November 25th 03 01:45 AM
Unusual liver condition DaveL Dog health 0 November 21st 03 01:32 AM