Petitions?

Old March 10th 05, 04:28 AM
Cin

Default Petitions?

hi everyone, Due to a stupid idiot neighbour, i need to get my neighbours to
write a letter saying my dog does not bark. I though a petition would be the
best way to go, I dont wnat to bug them all with writing a letter.

Any ideas on how I can word it?

Thanks

Cin

arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in sideways - Champagne in one hand, chocolate in the other - body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

Old March 10th 05, 06:48 PM

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:28:42 +1100 Cin whittled these words:

hi everyone, Due to a stupid idiot neighbour, i need to get my neighbours to
write a letter saying my dog does not bark. I though a petition would be the
best way to go, I dont wnat to bug them all with writing a letter.

A petition is a call to action. It isn't what you want. First, and most
important, why does the "stupid idiot neighbor" believe that your dog is a
problem? To respond appropriately and honestly you need to know that.

90% of dogs bark. So chances are you aren't going to be able to be
truthful if you write "Cin's dog does not bark." It is likely your
neighbors could not truthfully agree with that statement. I assume you
really mean bothersome or inappropriate barking.

Even if your neighbors are of the opinion that the level of barking is not
significant that isn't very convincing. It *could* just mean that those
neighbors aren't bothered or don't want to say that they are. Instead you
will need to be able to accurately identify when it is possible your dog
is barking, and why, and what steps you take to control or prevent
inappropriate or bothersome barking. You can then write out those steps
and ask your neighbors to agree or disagree with whether (a) you do take
those steps and (b) whether those steps are effective.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old March 11th 05, 04:31 AM
Cin

A petition is a call to action. It isn't what you want. First, and most
important, why does the "stupid idiot neighbor" believe that your dog is a
problem? To respond appropriately and honestly you need to know that.

I can respond honestly. Long, but honest.

The guy who sold me this place agreed to a price, contracts were signed and
exchanged. 2Week later a huge price rise hit the market. The unit i signed
off on was worth atleast another $20 000 on the price i paid.

Tough luck, contrats were in, that is that.

When i moved in we found that there were alot of building problems. The law
said that since he built it, he had to fix it.

He was going to, "tomorrow" Well, tomorrow never came so I lodged a
complaint withthe department of fair trading.... who in the end didnt do
anything because he wasnt a licenced builder. He got away with it.

Since he is the builder of the units and only 3 have been sold, (16 in
total) there is no strata (body corprate) so he has to pay the insurance,
the water fees and the upkeep of every unit.
the council told us he HAD to by LAW do this place up. He tells them he has
done it, we complain that he hasnt. He HATES me.

Now he wants money from me. Says i owe him for the insurance and what not.
(he actually yells this to be, swearing the whole time, a police report has
been made against him because i am sick of it) I dont owe him a cent until
the starta title is up.

Finally working out that all attempts to annoy me arent working, he is going
for Atlas.

He told me months ago that he barks ALL night, keeping him awake, I told the
neighbour that Atlas sleeps inside and that if he barked then i would hear
it as well.

BUT as Atlas slept in another room ( at the back of my house) I set up a
baby intercom from where he was to my room.... didnt hear a thing.
He still complained, so i moved him into my room... not a peep.
Asked the neighbours, most didnt even know I owned a dog, let alone had one
that barks.

The other day he came yelling at me again. told me Atlas has been barking
for 6 months. when i asked why he didnt tell me 6 months ago so i could fix
the problem he told me that I didnt care and wouldnt do anything about it
(Bulls#*t)

I informed him that dogs learn habbits, that if he was barking 6 months ago
and I knew about it something could have been done about it, but now it will
take a lot longer to stop him.

Went and asked the neighbours and once again they said they NEVER hear him.

I am a good dog owner, if my dog is barking i have no problem working out a
way to stop him. But how can i believe he is doing this when for one i have
only heard him bark maybe 4 times in 18 months, and the second that only one
neighbour (who happens to hate me and thinks that i owe him money) is
complaining?

I even got some people to come around the next day and walk around outside
my house, the banged on the garage door (he has access to the garage) and
then they had to get inside to make sure he was alive because they didnt
hear a thing from him!

Instead you
will need to be able to accurately identify when it is possible your dog
is barking, and why, and what steps you take to control or prevent
inappropriate or bothersome barking.

I am in the middle of setting up a recorder so i can listen to him during
the day. If there is proof he barks, i will deal with it. But one out of 10
neighbours?

Thanks for the advice

Cijn

Old March 11th 05, 07:48 PM

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:31:07 +1100 Cin whittled these words:

Instead you
will need to be able to accurately identify when it is possible your dog
is barking, and why, and what steps you take to control or prevent
inappropriate or bothersome barking.

I am in the middle of setting up a recorder so i can listen to him during
the day. If there is proof he barks, i will deal with it. But one out of 10
neighbours?

Well That's why it is important to show what you have done to establish it
isn't happening. But sound is a funny thing. It is entirely possible
that he is honestly hearing an annoying dog and honestly believes it is
your dog, possibly because it sounds to him like that is the direction it
is coming from. Once you have eliminated the possiblity that it is your
dog - then you can try to figure out what he is hearing. Or offer him the
loan of a recorder and ask that he tape the barking and note the time. Of
course he could be doing this to just be annoying, but more usually than
not there is some ground for complaint even if his prediposition has him
pointing the finger the wrong way.

BTW - do you have raccoons in the area? Raccoons are active in the dead
of night and sound exactly like yelping dogs. And if they happen to be
choosing your trees/yard or whatever to yelp in ...

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old March 12th 05, 01:51 AM
Cin

BTW - do you have raccoons in the area? Raccoons are active in the dead
of night and sound exactly like yelping dogs. And if they happen to be
choosing your trees/yard or whatever to yelp in ...

Nope. No raccoons

He isnt complaining about him at night now. Suddenly it has gone from night
to day time.

Sigh.. I just have too much to worry about right now without this as well

Cin

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/