Eating attitude (or something else)?

Old March 15th 05, 06:00 AM
Simon G

Default Eating attitude (or something else)?

Tobi is a labradoodle, 17 months of age. He is a very balanced combination of
both breeds - he loves to chew bones and sticks, yet about 95% of the time will
leave food on the plate. And he is fed raw food...

Every so often, he would not touch his food at all. Come over, sniff it, and go
away, with a very sorrowful look on his face (OK, this is my interpretation of
his expression). At times - like today - he won't eat all day, skipping both
breakfast and dinner. Yet, his health and behaviour is always great and
cheerful, with food (or lack of) does not seem to have any effect.

Every so often, I will grate a bit of cheese into his food, or add an occasional
other treat. That often helps to stimulate his appetite, yet I don't think I can
deduct a definitive pattern from it.

Do I need to worry and give in to those maternal instincts of mine, or is it
just his teenage attitude thing going on?

Thanks,
Simon

Old March 15th 05, 01:28 PM

I had a rottie that was the same way. Some days he would eat, others he
wouldn't. I took him to the vet and he was perfectly healthy and not
losing any weight so the vet told me I shouldn't worry about it. I
started feeding him once a day instead of twice and he then ate much
more consistantly.

I would take your guy to the vet just to be sure, but as long as he
stays healthy and up to weight than I wouldnt worry to much about it.
He will eat when he is hungry.

Alan

Old March 16th 05, 03:59 PM
Mary Healey

Simon G wrote in
:

Every so often, he would not touch his food at all. Come over, sniff
it, and go away,

While it could simply be his personality, it might also be a medical issue.

My first dog died last year of (probable) hemangiosarcoma. The last year
of his life, he'd sometime refuse to eat his morning meal. I thought maybe
it was a dental issue, and didn't worry too much about it. But someone
else whose dog was recently diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma has seen the
same pattern of occasionally refusing food with her dog. It was the only
outward symptom of the cancer at that stage.

I'm not trying to panic you, but food refusal may be more serious than a
simple behavioral quirk or even a sore tooth or tummy ache. Please get a
vet's opinion.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo:
Raise A Fund, ANZ Babylon Ranger, ANZ MarmaDUKE, and Rotund Rhia