Could this be mange?

Old March 16th 05, 07:00 AM
Cartrivision1

Default Could this be mange?

Hi, this is my second time posting. My 9 year old female dachshund
developed a small (dime sized) bald patch on her hind section. Her
skin is visible but it does not appear red or crusty. She also has a
similar patch of missing fur on her tail and on her stomach area. I
did some web research and came to the conclusion that it 'might' be red
mange, but most of the descriptions of the symptoms say that the
patches will appear red and hers do not.

Is this something I should be worried about or should I just keep an
eye on her to make sure the patches do not multiply? If it is a mild
case of mange, is there any shampoo or anything that I can apply to
help stop it?

thanks
lp

Old March 16th 05, 07:12 AM
Tee

"Cartrivision1" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, this is my second time posting. My 9 year old female dachshund
developed a small (dime sized) bald patch on her hind section. Her
skin is visible but it does not appear red or crusty. She also has a
similar patch of missing fur on her tail and on her stomach area. I
did some web research and came to the conclusion that it 'might' be red
mange, but most of the descriptions of the symptoms say that the
patches will appear red and hers do not.

Is this something I should be worried about or should I just keep an
eye on her to make sure the patches do not multiply? If it is a mild
case of mange, is there any shampoo or anything that I can apply to
help stop it?

Mange tends to start either around the eyes or in the armpits. I'm not
saying its impossible but what you describe doesn't sound terribly like
mange. Ringworm, which is highly contagious to animals & people, or staph
dermatitis sound possible as well.

My recently deceased 11yo Min. Dachshund developed Staph Dermatitis a year
or two ago (I'm getting terrible with my timeframes). It started as one or
two round bald patches then progressed to a handful which later progressed
to about 20-30 at a time. She'd go almost completely bald but by the time
it got that bad (2 weeks from start) the hair would then grow back. It was
a 3-4 week cycle that of spotsbaldnesshair regrowth. She was hideous
looking during the balding times. Eventually itching was associated with
the spots although it may have always been it just became more noticable
with many spots.

The only thing I found that worked, after much trial & error not to mention
dog food changes, was the addition of liquid Salmon Oil for the fatty acid
content. As long as she received 2 drops per day in her food the break-outs
stopped and the itching, flaking, gray skin was no longer driving her crazy.

A trip to the vet is definitely worth it. They can do a skin scrape to rule
out mange & ringworm. If they cannot find anything they'll likely label it
dermatitis (generic term for skin condition). If that's the case I highly
recommend trying fish oil as it has many advantages to skin & coat. I swear
it also helped her move better and she seemed to have more energy but its
also possible that her improvement in those areas was due to her feeling
better from the dermatitis.

--
Tara

Old March 16th 05, 08:50 AM
Cartrivision1

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will keep an eye on her to make sure that
the bald spots do not multiply. If so, I will take her to the vet.

lp

mange melinda Dog health 10 December 31st 04 09:15 AM
Mange Update C.L. Dog health 5 March 9th 04 06:46 PM
mange melinda Dog health 0 November 19th 03 12:57 AM
several questions about mange Ted Shoemaker Dog health 2 September 18th 03 09:51 PM
several questions about mange Ted Shoemaker Dog health 0 September 18th 03 09:23 PM