Puppy---Once a Day Meals

Old March 17th 05, 02:56 PM
bg

Default Puppy---Once a Day Meals

My pug-terrier puppy is almost 6 months now and considering once a day meals
plus snacks. She old enough now?

TIA...bgin

Old March 17th 05, 02:57 PM
David Sherman

bg wrote on 3/17/05 9:56 AM:

My pug-terrier puppy is almost 6 months now and considering once a day meals
plus snacks. She old enough now?

TIA...bgin

Why once a day? I don't think you have to switch if you don't want to.

I, and a lot of other dog owners I know, are still feeding our dogs twice a
day. It gives my dog something to look forward to twice a day instead of
once. Meal time is a lot of fun for her so I let her have that fun twice a
day instead of once.

I can't speak from a nutritional point of view. It probably doesn't make a
lot of difference how often you feed them, but I don't know.

Old March 17th 05, 03:12 PM
Janet B

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:56:28 GMT, "bg"
wrote:

My pug-terrier puppy is almost 6 months now and considering once a day meals
plus snacks. She old enough now?

TIA...bgin

I think all dogs are better off with 2 meals a day. How would you
react to being fed only once a day? Probably chew on your pencil,
fingernails, etc. Calories are better utilized when spread out.
Stick with 2 meals (and between 3 and 6 months, she should really have
been getting 3 meals).

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old March 17th 05, 03:17 PM

on 2005-03-17 at 14:56 wrote:

My pug-terrier puppy is almost 6 months now and considering
once a day meals plus snacks. She old enough now?

why do you want to transition her to once/day meals? many
dogs cannot handle having their feedings so widely spaced.
they will have bouts of vomiting bile. you don't say how
large your dog is, but you might also consider that small dogs
are especially susceptible to hypoglycemia. so, unless you've
got a compelling reason to feed only once a day, i'd recommend
against it.

FWIW, i've found that as my dogs have aged, they have needed
to be fed more frequently. we've gone from 2x/day to 3x/day
feedings.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/