Great Dane Leg Shake

Old March 19th 05, 10:23 PM
Dane Rescue

Default Great Dane Leg Shake

We rescued Gideon about 2 years ago from the Mid-Atlantic Great Dane
Rescue. He's about 160 Black Male Dane. He was with a family that
abused him from a puppy and kept him in a 2X5 enclosure in the kitchen
and never let exercise. We got him at 1 year old. We have been
fighting for 2 years now with our Vet looking into the reason why he
shakes like a leaf when trying to sit down or stand in the same spot
for more than a few seconds. As he goes to urinate his rear legs shake
so badly he soaks himself every time. Our vet seems to think it is
psychological, but we disagree. He runs with me 4 days a week for a
total of around 20 miles and does great with it. He loves to run and
it doesn't seem to bother him at all. We keep bugging the vet and he
gave us this medication to try for 10 days. (Clindamycin 300mg twice a
day) We did this and it seemed a tiny bit better, but not really. I
think it was just us wanting it to be better. It's now 5 days after
the med and he seems worse.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Old March 20th 05, 08:01 AM
White Monkey

"Dane Rescue" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I would seek a new vet. My neighbor's Dane has a very slight tremor in one
back leg, but this is because he is 6 1/2 and was hit by a car several years
ago, so it's a touch of arthritis. I would investigate possible neck
problems, since the running OK but then shaking while standing imply it may
be a balance problem, but that's just a guess. I suggest seeking out a vet
with experience with Danes, and investigating neck problems, back problems,
neurological problems, and especially anything at all that vet suggests
investigating. Good luck!!
--Katrina

Old March 20th 05, 12:21 PM
David Sherman

White Monkey wrote on 3/20/05 3:01 AM:

I would seek a new vet. My neighbor's Dane has a very slight tremor in one
back leg, but this is because he is 6 1/2 and was hit by a car several years
ago, so it's a touch of arthritis. I would investigate possible neck
problems, since the running OK but then shaking while standing imply it may
be a balance problem, but that's just a guess. I suggest seeking out a vet
with experience with Danes, and investigating neck problems, back problems,
neurological problems, and especially anything at all that vet suggests
investigating. Good luck!!
--Katrina

Good advice.

I would only add that a quick call or e mail to your dog's breeder might
provide you with some useful information.

Old March 20th 05, 12:47 PM
Candi Bowen

Katrina, I agree. Have they xrayed his back? This happened to our beagle,
but other larger breeds are susceptible to degenerative disc disease also.
Charlie is a paraplegic now, but in no pain. He runs around the house
dragging his back legs. Of course, I have to scrub carpets twice a week
since he scoots right out of a diaper & I've tried everything. The initial
symptoms are muscle tremors & spasms which can progress to a ruptured disc,
causing paralysis. If caught early, surgery can help.
Candi
----------
In article , "White Monkey"
wrote:

roups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 12:04 PM
buglady

"Dane Rescue" wrote in message
oups.com...
We keep bugging the vet and he
gave us this medication to try for 10 days. (Clindamycin 300mg twice a
day) We did this and it seemed a tiny bit better, but not really. I
think it was just us wanting it to be better. It's now 5 days after
the med and he seems worse.

Does anyone have any ideas?

..........do you really think the Clindamycin helped? This is an antibiotic.
If you haven't had a full workup on this dog - CBC, chem panel, urinalysis
and perhaps X-rays, then he's whistling in the dark. If this was recent I'd
also suggest tossing Addison's disease in there, but since it's long
standing, the dog would probably have crashed by now.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old March 22nd 05, 06:36 AM
White Monkey

To the OP--how's this dog doing? have you been to another vet? Please keep
us updated!
--Katrina

Old March 23rd 05, 11:14 PM
Rene

[...]

I second the Wobblers suggestion:
http://www.danebytes.com/ (great Great Dane site)

http://personalpages.tds.net/~jcole/

René

Pregnant Great Dane help needed Natalie Rigertas Dog breeds 6 December 30th 04 12:57 AM
Great Dane Lovers Society Great Dane Lovers Society Dog breeds 0 September 16th 04 03:14 AM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Agressive Great Dane Pat Dog behavior 0 September 13th 04 03:43 PM
Prospective Great Dane owner with some questions Pat Dog breeds 4 November 4th 03 08:50 PM