PETA's Chained Dog Crusade

Old March 20th 05, 05:10 PM

Default PETA's Chained Dog Crusade

Any thoughts here on PETA's latest crusade? I really don't accept the
premise that a dog chained to a cable-run is worse off than a dog in a
pen or a dog in a tiny backyard. My two dog runs are 50' long with a
15' chain and are mulched with wood chips and are under shade trees.
The dogs are established biters and fence climbers. In an ideal world
all dogs would have large fenced yards to run free in and a rug in
front of a fireplace to sleep on -- but in the real world they are
being produced by puppy mills and unspayed dogs and destroyed by the
millions in municipal shelters across the country.

The worst irony was receiving my PETA lecture from a neighbor woman
whose father was the most animal-negligent person I ever knew.

Dave

http://petaliterature.com/viewitem.a...0%20%20%20&id=

Old March 20th 05, 11:05 PM
Spot

It sounds to me like you are being a responsible pet owner. Tell your nosy
neighbor to stuff it up where the sun don't shine.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old March 21st 05, 06:20 PM

oups.com...

Spot wrote:
It sounds to me like you are being a responsible pet owner. Tell
your nosy neighbor to stuff it up where the sun don't shine.

Celeste

It isn't as if I don't accept the fact that a dog on a chain can be a
very sad situation, but I've also seen dogs in small 10'x10' cages and
I think that is equally awful. Also if this silly person has all these
ideal homes available where she thinks she can place adult dogs why
doesn't she encourage those people to visit the local animal shelters
where who knows how many dogs are being put to sleep every week? No,
I'm sure her snooty friends would buy from a dog breeder. Her silly
father was the sort who only kept a dog for a few years and would then
"give it away to some friend." Then he'd get a different dog.

Old March 22nd 05, 02:39 AM
Spot

I agree with you completely. If these do gooders would look at themselfs or
make the effort to help the shelters it would be different.

I for one would rather see a dog on a trolley run with room to move about
than stuck in some pen. I have a neighbor who has a wonderful dog that is
stuck in a damned pen most of the time because they don't want the back yard
tore up. What really pisses me off is that they don't even use the stinking
yard for anything. I see them get the dog out and play with her about twice
a week and then the oldest who is about 15 doesn't always keep an eye on
her and she wanders.

I politely told the woman last fall when she wondered off that one night
that before winter came about that I thought they should get rid of her old
worn out dog box and get her one of the newer insulated ones. At least the
did listen to me on that point it's just to bad that I have to even tell
them they need to take better care of her.

Celeste

wrote in message
oups.com...
oups.com...

Old March 22nd 05, 03:40 PM

Spot wrote:
[...]

I was just looking at the PETA info on the local ordanances they have
helped get passed. They outlaw any type of cable run but require a pen
size of only 10'x15' = 150 square feet. Uh, my dogs each have 1800
square feet.

Old March 23rd 05, 02:20 AM
Spot

Now isn't that just freaking insane to sticking a dog in a 150 sq foot pen.

When I lived up on the mountain Brandy loved to stay outside during the day
and I would often put her on the trolley line while I was at work. She had
a 75 foot cable run through the middle of my yard with a 15 foot cable and
stops at the end to keep her from getting wrapped up around the trees. The
side yard that this trolley ran through was huge and she loved it. At one
end was grass and sunny spots to lay in and sun herself and on the other end
was a huge tree that provided shade all day along with a row of trees at the
edge of the woods for even more shade. She had a dog box to go into if she
wanted under the tree along with a 5 gallon bucket of water and food left
out for her.

The only time she thought life was even better were the few times she'd take
off into the woods trying to catch turkeys and wouldn't come out. I just
used to leave her be since I knew she'd stay put for hours waiting for them
and would be right there behind the house when I got home. I'd come back 4
or 5 hours later and pull in and she'd come out of the woods all played out
but happy as could be.

Once I moved to town I had to stop letting her out without supervision. It
wasn't that she barked or anything or that the yard wasn't fenced but due to
the fact that I caught some asshole trying to take her one day. She was the
type of dog who was friendly with everyone, more than once she jumped up
into the meter readers truck and thought she was going with him for a ride.
After that I never left her outside again unless we were with her.

Celeste

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 07:23 PM

on 2005-03-23 at 08:45 wrote:

Yes this is indeed part of their rationale, but I think they
are being too simple-minded. It seems they want to have an
"emotional campaign" and not a reasoned set of guidelines. If
they are truly concerned about the dogs they should also be
against small cages, and not be promoting them.

please define "small cages" and explain why their usage
should be stopped?

while i'm not a fan of leaving *any* dog outdoors
unsupervised, my own personal feelings are that there are
inherent problems with tying a dog out unsupervised that are
not present when leaving the dog in a "small cage"
unsupervised.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/
Old March 23rd 05, 07:59 PM
culprit

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes this is indeed part of their rationale, but I think they are being
too simple-minded. It seems they want to have an "emotional campaign"
and not a reasoned set of guidelines. If they are truly concerned about
the dogs they should also be against small cages, and not be promoting
them.

i'm not a huge PETA fan, but... how do you feel about crating a dog
indoors? my dogs live in "small cages" when unsupervised, because i don't
want to come home and find one of them has killed or injured the other.
yes, they get along fine when i'm home, but i'm not going to trust them to
ignore their instincts when i'm not home to stop them.

a lot of people with my breed (pit bulls) chain their dogs out in a yard on
short chains, so that they can't kill each other. they spend all day
lunging at each other and hitting the end of their chains hard enough to
damage their necks and terrifying their neighbors. is that any better than
a crate inside a warm home? i seriously doubt it.

personally i wouldn't ban chaining, as i'm against the government forcing
personal responsibility on people. but i also think it's simple minded to
bash cages if you don't know the circumstance.

-kelly